IGNORED

Nations League Thread

cidercity1987

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Ronaldo / Messi arguments are so tiresome. Please stop.

I’m not taking part in one, personally I have the same view as you. We should enjoy watching them both whilst we can, both top quality players. 

Im just stating that the South American qualification system is much tougher than the UEFA one

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

To be fair, the South American qualifying competitions are much tougher. Argentina play Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay and Peru

Compare that to Ronaldo who faced Switzerland, the Faroe Islands, Andorra, Hungary and Latvia in his last World Cup qualification group and I can see where @AshtonGreat is coming from

You're conveniently forgetting that in the South American format of qualification you don't actually need to beat or perform against any of the teams in that list we might reasonably assume are good - and Chile, Paraguay and Peru fall out of that category on a regular basis. Argentina can get to tournaments without ever beating a peer.

In Europe the format while group based ultimately comes down to beating one or two good teams who might qualify and wade through the others. Portugal always starts slowly but finds its way past the Switzerland, Serbia and Sweden's of this world who are up there on rankings as a direct competitor for anyone.

For this particular "tournament" Portugal got the better of Italy and Poland. I can't actually stand the Messi v Ronaldo debate as I don't live in a playground and don't need to declare a winner but some of the lines of argument which are floated for the benefit of one or other are so misinformed and engineered it's painful (not aimed at you, whose OTIB contributions I enjoy!) 

Same problem as World Cup.

We cannot transition through the last two thirds of the pitch, by possession.

Put simply we do not have a Modric, Pogba, or Hazard, who can confidently move through the pitch and retain possession.

We have an Ali, lindegard etc.

Great deserved goal.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

You're conveniently forgetting that in the South American format of qualification you don't actually need to beat or perform against any of the teams in that list we might reasonably assume are good - and Chile, Paraguay and Peru fall out of that category on a regular basis. Argentina can get to tournaments without ever beating a peer.

In Europe the format while group based ultimately comes down to beating one or two good teams who might qualify and wade through the others. Portugal always starts slowly but finds its way past the Switzerland, Serbia and Sweden's of this world who are up there on rankings as a direct competitor for anyone.

For this particular "tournament" Portugal got the better of Italy and Poland. I can't actually stand the Messi v Ronaldo debate as I don't live in a playground and don't need to declare a winner but some of the lines of argument which are floated for the benefit of one or other are so misinformed and engineered it's painful (not aimed at you, whose OTIB contributions I enjoy!) 

I get what you’re saying, but that doesn’t make the sides the South American teams have to face any less tough. 

Either way, I’m not going to get involved in a Ronaldo v Messi argument. It’s like the greatest tennis player argument, totally pointless...

We should enjoy them both whilst we can, two very different players but two players who you could make a decent claim to being the best in history. 

Although neither of them get close to Eliasson ?

Archived