IGNORED

Nations League Thread

cidercity1987

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

It was plainly obvious in the first half that the Dutch would try to force a defensive mistake and we failed to deal with that threat. If in doubt kick it out ffs and that should have been drilled into the players at half time.

"Can we not knock it"?

No midfield, no coherent possession plan.

Kane is wasted.

We literally rely on breakaways.

im sorry but Sterling, Rashford and Ali are not good enough.

theyre not 50% of the player modric or hazard are.

1 minute ago, B1ackbird said:

According to the commentary team the Dutch goals were an inevitable result of our total, play it out from the back ethos, well pray tell, did the Dutch lump it forward at every opportunity?!?! 

Nah, I thought not

The difference is, the Dutch players are so much better on the ball. 

They have the quality to play it out of the back, we don’t 

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It was plainly obvious in the first half that the Dutch would try to force a defensive mistake and we failed to deal with that threat. If in doubt kick it out ffs and that should have been drilled into the players at half time.

Branch and root review badly needed.

Behave, that was after Iceland. Two semis in a row is no reason for a paddy.

Got what we deserved. Had the Netherlands had more up top we’d have been crucified. For most of the game the midfield was non-existent. It took until the 95th minute for Declan Rice to play a pass toward. The defence was poor and Stones in particular had a stinker. At least I’m saved the embarrassment of seeing Ronaldo score.a hat trick or better against us. 

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Branch and root review badly needed.

Behave.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Behave, that was after Iceland. Two semis in a row is no reason for a paddy.

I'll give you an example, if Mercedes finish second in a race they have a branch and root review, finishing 2nd just isn't acceptable. You have to have that winning mentality and if you lose you don't say well we did well to get to the semis, job well done because that's a losers mentality and if you have that mentality then we we will always be losers. 

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The difference is, the Dutch players are so much better on the ball. 

They have the quality to play it out of the back, we don’t 

I can't argue with that, but why are they at Man City and Chelsea? Some sort of care in the Community deal, surly they can control and pass the effing thing... 

We will be better on the ball in midfield when some of these youngsters come through. The problem is if you defend as a unit and hit teams on the break, which at the moment is our best hope, then we need a solid unit at the back. Walker and Stones are not that. And that passing out the back is getting ridiculous. Netherlands haven't even got a forward line. Nothing up top. Disgraceful to lose it like that.

I like what Southgate tries to do but sadly he does not have the quality to do it.

Rashford Henderson Ali and Sterling are show ponies who will never dominate a game.

They all rely on others at club level with none actually being the talisman for a club.

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

As bad as our defence were, our midfielder was just as bad. If our midfield were dropping back to receive the ball then Stones etc has passing options and doesn't get put in a position where they are put under pressure. There should always be 2-3 passing options.

Our midfield is the problem. It’s painfully obvious and was as apparent during the World Cup.

We seem to produce ‘exciting’ youngsters who like to ‘outskill’ in flashes. None who dominate.

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'll give you an example, if Mercedes finish second in a race they have a branch and root review, finishing 2nd just isn't acceptable. You have to have that winning mentality and if you lose you don't say well we did well to get to the semis, job well done because that's a losers mentality and if you have that mentality then we we will always be losers. 

We used to have our run ins during LJs first full season but you are regularly spot on and this is an example. I have no real personal interest other than discussing with mates how England develop but in any business you do a retrospective as you have described no matter what the result. The worlds best sports people  don't celebrate being best they work out how they could have been better. If you are third or fourth and serious, it should be a matter of course. 

24 minutes ago, grove park city said:

What a gutless performance on such a poignant day they should be ashamed ..

Not a good performance but I’m confused about the point you are making. Are you aware that the Netherlands were invaded by the Nazis despite being a neutral country in WW2? 

23 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I like what Southgate tries to do but sadly he does not have the quality to do it.

Rashford Henderson Ali and Sterling are show ponies who will never dominate a game.

They all rely on others at club level with none actually being the talisman for a club.

Henderson improved the team. Received, received, released possession and looked to repeat. Instantly England's retention of the ball improved.  

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Henderson improved the team. Received, received, released possession and looked to repeat. Instantly England's retention of the ball improved.  

Agree that to receive and give simple balls can be s great calming influence, but I would bracket him with the other three because he does not do enough to then effect the game positively.

I suppose my point about Henderson is if not him then who?

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Agree that to receive and give simple balls can be s great calming influence, but I would bracket him with the other three because he does not do enough to then effect the game positively.

I suppose my point about Henderson is if not him then who?

It can depend on what we look upon as being effecting the game positively. He was always looking to be an option, generally kept it and was that calming influence.

Who? Winks maybe.  

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It can depend on what we look upon as being effecting the game positively. He was always looking to be an option, generally kept it and was that calming influence.

Who? Winks maybe.  

Possibly, I still think midfield is the area that is costing us, not defence.

I know they made areas but are lack of midfield possession means was ask for too much football to be play in our third.

When we do transition out of it, the players just seem to be able to only play ‘quick break’

50 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'm glad you mentioned Mercedes because Germany have been doing this for decades.

With the World Cup success of our U17s and U20s, the infrastructure is in place for a technically stronger senior squad, with attacking midfielders like Foden, who can receive the ball on the half turn, drive forward at pace and pass. They just need regular first team football and therein lies the problem.

Perhaps the Bundesliga can kick start the England careers of more players like Jadon Sancho.

Archived