IGNORED

Nations League Thread

cidercity1987

Why do we have to support England & City. The hope is what kills you. Just another classic England performance against a top team - outplayed but glimmers of hope. And ultimately failure.

For me, I hate VAR. If it was to stop clear and obvious errors (as I think it was supposed to) then you if you have to look at a decision for minutes then it isn't clear or obvious. I would scrap it right now - kills passion, takes ages and no one knows whats going on.

Our attack is amongst the best in the world (when Kane is actually fit). But the midfield tonight - way off the pace. Henderson steadied it a bit but he isn't exactly a world beater. Hopefully the likes of Foden and Maddison will be the players we need to take us a step further - cos Fabian Delph and Ross Barkley aren't those players. 

As for John Stones - a complete liability. At fault for 2 of the 3 goals. Pickford, although still looks dodgy with his feet and kicking, at least is a good shot stopper. I'd be fuming that the defence couldn't get back after he'd made a great save on the 2nd goal.

I think Southgate will stick to playing out from the back but if you do that you can't afford individual errors like the ones tonight.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Possibly, I still think midfield is the area that is costing us, not defence.

I know they made areas but are lack of midfield possession means was ask for too much football to be play in our third.

When we do transition out of it, the players just seem to be able to only play ‘quick break’

100% yes. A flaw is a lack of receivers in front of the defence making angles to keep the ball. Its quick break and quickly lose it. Brilliant when it works but tonight highlighted its deficiency.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

As bad as our defence were, our midfielder was just as bad. If our midfield were dropping back to receive the ball then Stones etc has passing options and doesn't get put in a position where they are put under pressure. There should always be 2-3 passing options.

Our forwards didn't exactly set the game on fire either, add it all up it was a recipe for, well exactly what we got.

30 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Why do we have to support England & City. The hope is what kills you. Just another classic England performance against a top team - outplayed but glimmers of hope. And ultimately failure.

For me, I hate VAR. If it was to stop clear and obvious errors (as I think it was supposed to) then you if you have to look at a decision for minutes then it isn't clear or obvious. I would scrap it right now - kills passion, takes ages and no one knows whats going on.

Our attack is amongst the best in the world (when Kane is actually fit). But the midfield tonight - way off the pace. Henderson steadied it a bit but he isn't exactly a world beater. Hopefully the likes of Foden and Maddison will be the players we need to take us a step further - cos Fabian Delph and Ross Barkley aren't those players. 

As for John Stones - a complete liability. At fault for 2 of the 3 goals. Pickford, although still looks dodgy with his feet and kicking, at least is a good shot stopper. I'd be fuming that the defence couldn't get back after he'd made a great save on the 2nd goal.

I think Southgate will stick to playing out from the back but if you do that you can't afford individual errors like the ones tonight.

Spot on, you and I can see it shame those that pick the team can't, Holland seemed to play with confidence that was sadly lacking for us, did we really beat Spain and Croatia takes some believing after that tonight.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Our midfield is the problem. It’s painfully obvious and was as apparent during the World Cup.

We seem to produce ‘exciting’ youngsters who like to ‘outskill’ in flashes. None who dominate.

And how as England’s manager with a few training schedules do you fix that?

answer; you can’t. Accept we sold our national team for a premier league

3 hours ago, grove park city said:

Over paid over hyped players who fold every time the pressure is on 2 semi finals big deal.

The pressure was on in Seville in October and the players didn’t fold - they won 3-2 against Spain in their own back yard, which very few teams do. 

The pressure was on at 1-0 down to Croatia (World Cup finalists) at Wembley in November. The players didn’t fold. They fought back to win 2-1. 

Just back at my hotel in Porto after a couple of post game beers. It was disappointing tonight - far too many bad mistakes all over the pitch, and arguably only one really impressive moment of quality (the move that led to the disallowed VAR goal - shows what England can be capable of in patches, but we didn’t see anywhere near enough of it tonight). Holland’s first goal was preventable, and the other three goals in the game all came from absolutely awful defending. 

And why did Southgate decide against starting any of the Tottenham or Liverpool players? Wijnaldum and Van Dijk both managed 120 minutes for Holland. 

3 hours ago, North London Red said:

The pressure was on in Seville in October and the players didn’t fold - they won 3-2 against Spain in their own back yard, which very few teams do. 

The pressure was on at 1-0 down to Croatia (World Cup finalists) at Wembley in November. The players didn’t fold. They fought back to win 2-1. 

Just back at my hotel in Porto after a couple of post game beers. It was disappointing tonight - far too many bad mistakes all over the pitch, and arguably only one really impressive moment of quality (the move that led to the disallowed VAR goal - shows what England can be capable of in patches, but we didn’t see anywhere near enough of it tonight). Holland’s first goal was preventable, and the other three goals in the game all came from absolutely awful defending. 

And why did Southgate decide against starting any of the Tottenham or Liverpool players? Wijnaldum and Van Dijk both managed 120 minutes for Holland. 

I think that our preparations for this were not ideal. We had John Stones starting his first game since April the 2nd, X amount of players only recently joined up with the squad. Most of our players haven't played a competitive game for weeks. Did we have any behind doors friendlies? If not why not? Why did the Dutch look match sharp but we didn't? What did they do that we didn't in their preparations? Our performance looked as disjointed as our preparations.

Personally I'd have included the players who played in the champions League final because they are more match fit. Man City won the league and then went on to win the FA Cup a week later quite convincingly so I don't buy the players could have been tired from the celebrations arguement. They should have played. 

I hope in the 3rd place play off he picks exactly the same players, because no one ever wants to play in a 3rd place play off. 

Last night was good for Southgate in that it highlighted that certain players are not to be trusted.  Gomez and Trent AA surely now have to be first choice in defence.  Harry Winks also had a great game..  RIce will get there but needs time to develop.  Barkley is clearly not the brightest.  We improved when Henderson went on because he has calmness and authority which we were severely lacking. Kane is hugely overrated - tends to go missing against better sides and gets in teammates way. He is not going to replace Messi and Ronaldo as one of the best in the world.

9 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Not just for you mate!

It’s going to ruin the game.

7 hours ago, North London Red said:

Good to get a perspective from first hand experience i take your point with the Spanish result which was excellent ,  Stones is so overrated he didn't play against Spain yet again he is caught out strolling around trying to be a latter day Bobby Moore time after time tonight was a classic . The disallowed goal was a body blow especially all this VAR delayed reaction the elation of a late winner chalked off affected the players and the Dutch moved up a gear, i agree with you all this resting players who played 5 days before ok in a massive match is rubbish pick your best side. Their first goal was well taken a storming header with 3 England players static but after that a typical gutless fold up.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Dier and Delph will never be good enough so why play them? Play Maddison, Foden and the like who will maybe one day be good enough and will benefit from a game 

I see it as Southgate is giving them a last chance, otherwise they're out of future squads.

This is the problem with VAR for offside decisions, officials aren't putting their flags up when players are offside and its creating situations which wouldn't be occurring if they did just flag. How long before a major competition is decided where a flag hasn't been put up for an offside and then the team score from the next phase of play which shouldn't have happened.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What a bag of crap.

Who actually asked for this?

And before anyone starts I wasn’t that bothered with our goal in South Africa that was disallowed.

It was just part of the game.

Goal line tech, yes. VAR, no. 

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

To think Arsenal wouldn’t have won the league in 89 because VAR would have brought play back for the rolling ball at the free kick.

But everyone would be happy because it was 100% correct.

Probably wouldn’t have won the World Cup in 66 

Archived