IGNORED

Korey Smith deal or no deal?

NcnsBcfc

With his contract up at the end of next season; and injury keeping him out for at least the 1sr half; what do we do about Korey?

Sentimentality says, give him a new contract, and on his day he is of course quality.

However he's been having a number of longer term injuries over the last few years; and that's bound to have an impact on him.

This may fall into the 'bold" decisions that LJ may have to make this season.

Didn’t we give him his contract extension last winter for a sentimental reasons? So he could recover with peace of mind and not be worried about his comeback. 

Look to tie him up pre January if he is back fit playing and recovered.

Not at the moment, I really like Korey but he has been given a contract extension this season and we aren't going to see him until gone Christmas. It depends what the other the option is, if it means we can afford Bannons or any other better players wages if we let Korey go then it's impossible to turn that down. 

29 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Didn’t we give him his contract extension last winter for a sentimental reasons? So he could recover with peace of mind and not be worried about his comeback. 

Look to tie him up pre January if he is back fit playing and recovered.

Bit on both sides really.  Had Korey not been given an extended deal last season, he might’ve come back firing for the last 8-10 games, putting himself in the shop window on a free.  So sentiment possibly, commercial sense definitely.

We've missed him and he's a real talent and I love the guy but his fitness is what concerns me. If he could play 30 games a season I'd go out of my way to see him sign a new deal but with his recent injury issues I'm concerned it's a wage on a player who can't play. 

58 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Such a shame he had those injuries. We really missed him IMO . Hope he can come back strong and earn another contract 

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

We've missed him and he's a real talent and I love the guy but his fitness is what concerns me. If he could play 30 games a season I'd go out of my way to see him sign a new deal but with his recent injury issues I'm concerned it's a wage on a player who can't play. 

The unfortunate thing is they are different injuries, it’s not like it’s a recurring hamstring or calf...so really difficult to predict whether he can cone through.  Was very sensible offering him a year extension.  Let’s see where he is around December / January, and go from there.  He signed a 3 year deal way back in summer 2016, so not gonna be one of the current top earners...you would imagine the 1yr extension just rolled that on.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Decide in January, not now whilst he has another injury 

I think this is right albeit I lean towards letting him go. No doubt he has attributes but he gets caught on the ball too often for me.

Not sure about the good servant comments. He signed in 2014 so he’ll be coming up to a mere 5 years. How long do you have to stay to get a good servant tag these days? Is it anything over a season now?

Depends on how his replacement does. He becomes expendable if we have someone who can do what he does but better just like everybody else.

LJ said he had attributes that no-one else had in the squad and we missed him massively. So we better get someone who can do the same things while he's injured. Right? Please....

As these are different long term injuries it feels more like bad luck than injury prone to me so I wouldn't be looking to get rid for the sake of it. We should give him another year and let him get fit IMO (while we have no-one better)

Fans generally expect loyalty from players but so happy to cut ties when they've outlived their sell by date. In this case, Korey has been a great servant to BCFC and I believe should be offered a new one year contract especially if he is injured so he gets a fair chance to prove himself upon return to fitness.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The unfortunate thing is they are different injuries, it’s not like it’s a recurring hamstring or calf...so really difficult to predict whether he can cone through.  Was very sensible offering him a year extension.  Let’s see where he is around December / January, and go from there.  He signed a 3 year deal way back in summer 2016, so not gonna be one of the current top earners...you would imagine the 1yr extension just rolled that on.

I know what you're saying but I have to feel at this point these injuries have slowed down his progression too. I think he'd make a great squad player if the wages are right but I'm not sure if he'll ever work his way back into the starting line up on a regular basis, especially if we can get a few new midfielders in.

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know what you're saying but I have to feel at this point these injuries have slowed down his progression too. I think he'd make a great squad player if the wages are right but I'm not sure if he'll ever work his way back into the starting line up on a regular basis, especially if we can get a few new midfielders in.

Are you saying offer him a new deal or not?  He’s here til next summer as it currently stands.. .i would be waiting to see how he returns.

The thing with Korey is that he doesn`t seem to just pick up niggly injuries, they`re normally serious ones that keep him out for months. I guess it`s the way he plays.

if it was up to me I`d give him a new deal. Despite what some have said there is a place for sentimentality in football and whilst he may not be an automatic starter a fit Korey on the bench can only be a positive thing. I also think he`s a good person to have around the place, a bit like Wilbs was. I certainly don`t want to see him flogging himself for his last couple of years as a pro at the likes of Oxford or Gillingham - he deserves more than that.

His injury isn't a complex one as I understand it so he should be ok once recovered. He;s supposed to be back around November, if so then January would seem to be the time to evaluate his position.

If we get a couple of midfielders in or we have players on staff who are playing well he may well find it difficult to get in the team and be surplus anyway so now isn't the time to think about new a contract. Far to early imo - leave it till January.

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Fans generally expect loyalty from players but so happy to cut ties when they've outlived their sell by date. In this case, Korey has been a great servant to BCFC and I believe should be offered a new one year contract especially if he is injured so he gets a fair chance to prove himself upon return to fitness.

Here we go- the old "great servant" chestnut .

He's never brought anyone drinks on a tray but does earn squillions  and is contracted to play for us. BCFC has paid him when he's been injured long term - now twice and paid him when his form wasn't too good.

Just exactly who is the servant in all this?

Korey - good player when fit and good fighter and he'd be like it for any club he plays for be it BCFC or whosoever.

'Servant' is piffle and only suitable for the football cliche thread.

I don't the club have any realistic choice except to hold off on the decision as late as possible and see how he comes back from injury and what he does in the second half of the season and gamble that nobody else will offer him a contract. I think it might be that a final decision isn't made until next summer. 

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Are you saying offer him a new deal or not?  He’s here til next summer as it currently stands.. .i would be waiting to see how he returns.

I'm rarely on the fence but I honestly don't know, I think my head says no and my heart says yes ?

He came back from his last injury, which in my opinion was worse than his current one, and looked just as good as he did before he got crocked.

If he can come back like that again this time around then it's a no brainer for me. 

A fit Korey Smith is the best player we have at this club, including Webster.

On 02/06/2019 at 13:29, Spike said:

Much of your post sounds like the sort of stuff people say about Baker too - I love Korey - a great player, hope he stays fit and we reap the benefits again ...

Archived