IGNORED

I have an otib City dream ....

reddogkev

Of a non-match day thread where every single, and yes I mean every single OTIB member posts something - obviously to do with football.

I guess I just want to see how many people read and respond to threads on this famous board, and if a single thread can attract a response from every one of you!

I have a question for you, can you recall the first approx. time / season you knew you were a City fan?

I knew I was a City fan fairly late in my life, relatively speaking, about the age of fourteen, in the early nineties. 

Old man took me to first game 81/82 season. Obviously difficult times for the club but as a young lad at the time that didn’t matter. I absolutely loved going to football with my old man . Sitting on the enclosure wall. I fell in love with City and still go today. Some fantastic memories  :sad26:

Martin Luther-Reddogkev!

As a 6/7 year old was taken to Eastville by my Grandfather, but made my own choice to travel from the "wrong" side ofBristol to see my first City game vs Southampton in the 4th round of the FA Cup in 1967.

I can still remember the excitement of coming onto the terraces between the enclosure and the East End - it was a 38,000 crowd and I'd never seen so many people in one place, We won 1-0 and I was hooked for life.

Early 70s, arrived at a new primary school, didn't know anything about Bristol teams but needed a football shirt. I chose red and my brother chose blue. At school, we were told that red is City and blue is Rovers. Such random events can open up a lifetime of joy or misery.... 

We moved back to my parents' home city back in 1977. Although I had been to the Gate a few times before then, it wasn't until the Joe Royle/Boro match in the November that I can look back now and realise I had become a City fan.

Prior to that season, I'd been supporting our local team Luton Town. As a 16 year old, continuing my support for the Hatters was not financially achievable from Bristol. Supporting the team my Dad used to watch was an easy decision plus the bus from Nailsea to AG was cheap!

Had I not supported the City, I'd be wealthy had I saved instead of all those away matches on Coach 2 and then driving to the games plus season tickets etc..

Would I do it all again if I had the chance? Too damn right I would! 

You started by saying something to do with football and then stop the imagination flowing by posing a question - wtf?

My response is to the the former request and it is simply slimy, dirty rock hard balls.

First game of the 70/71 season....City 4 -3 Sunderland.....I was 7 yrs old and told everyone in school that I would support Sunderland cos they had just been relegated from the 1st Division. By 4.40 pm on that day I never looked back as a City fan.

September 1969 aged 9. Beat Birmingham city 2-0. Galley and Garland. Over 20000 at the gate. Stood in the East end with my mate. I was hooked. 50 years of many ups and downs but I wouldn't have it any other way

1953 against Rovers My dad took me.I can remember it was a bit of a crush We were in the old open end .I can remember being lifted over the barrier to sit on a wooden bench pitch side, that used to go around the ground.Imagine being able to do this now.I can remember the guy who used to walk around the pitch with a Robin on a stick with an WW2 helmet painted red.

I've always liked City but I become absolutely obsessed in 14/15, so very recently. Something about the opening day win with the late Elliot goal, something clicked. Season ticket holder since.

Cool thread idea by the way. Should make good reading.

When I was a kid, I loved playing and watching football, but basically everything I watched was whatever was on at the pub - usually Man Utd or Newcastle. I liked Fergie, but never really felt like a Man Utd fan.

Then, I went to a match at Ashton Gate, and despite knowing that Bristol has its own football clubs, and I couldn't believe the atmosphere. The stadium was obviously smaller in real life, but you wouldn't have guessed the second you walked through to the stands. I'd go to the odd football match now and then, but usually because the people I was with supported other teams, or because we had got tickets to finals.

I think I eventually became a "fan" after we beat Swindon town in August 2003. At that point every game I went to Bristol City had won (probably why I kept getting invited), but we were playing Swindon Town and it looked like a draw was on the card. In the end, City won, and Ashton Gate went into meltdown with the winner.

My mum, uncle and grandad were all City season ticket holders but I was crazy about George Best. I'd gone to a City/Coventry away game in 66 aged 5 and hated it cos it was freezing cold.

My dad took me to Old Trafford in 68 to see the great man and then a bit later my mum's family took me to Ashton Gate for the League Cup semi final v Spurs. I was hooked. Got my first season ticket in 70. I still love a midweek evening game under lights with a full house. 

77-78 Wrexham facup 3rd round 7th birthday treat saw 8 goals ending 4-4 and lost the replay 2 nights later, been going ever since throughout the many up's and downs and standing in the east end during the 4th division years and the rise with Terry Cooper was the start of me following on the road as well watching us play in 57 grounds . 

Still trying to replace the 1000's of old programmes and match tickets lost in a house fire for my uncle and any donations gratefully received 

I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I wasn't old enough to know much about football for sure (I'm 41 now). An older cousin asked me which team I supported, and if I didn't say City I was going to get beat up ?. There you have it, the seeds were sown. Thank **** he wasn't Gas!!! 

I have my very earliest memories around the age of three or four going to see my grandad on a Sunday morning, he’d be reading  the papers and he’d always talk to me about the City and those were  precious moments shared.

He lived on Jacob’s Wells  Rd and everyone in the flats supported the Robins so neighbours were always popping in for a cuppa and a chat about the club .

I was immersed in the Red and White and the rivalry with the Rovers .

One of the families living there were called ‘ Skuse ‘ , I always wondered if they were related to Cole.

So in answer to your question around the age of three or four .

My first game was 15th April 1978, against Liverpool. The game ended 1-1. Peter Cormack missed a pen for us. Can't remember who got our goal. I was stood in the East End between pillars 3 and 4. The noise was immense. Saw the next game against Liverpool too, when we won 1-0 thanks to a late Joe Royle goal. Happy days.

First game was April 7th 1950, Good Friday versus Aldershot and we won 2-0. I was with my Dad and after the match we walked through Ashton Park playing tip tap with the tennis ball i had in my pocket. I was totally hooked at 6 years of age.

Don't remember any games in first half of next season but we played Brighton in 4th round of FA cup and won 1-0 with a Don Clark penalty at the Covered End where I was pressed up against the railings with lots of other little kids.

Then my first City away game in next round at Birmingham City where we lost 2-0. Went up by special train with Dad. By this time I knew that I'd never support any other side even though in the next few years, Dad took me to Ninian Park several times, Eastville a few games and even one at Villa Park. CTID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Victor Meldrew said:

1953 against Rovers My dad took me.I can remember it was a bit of a crush We were in the old open end .I can remember being lifted over the barrier to sit on a wooden bench pitch side, that used to go around the ground.Imagine being able to do this now.I can remember the guy who used to walk around the pitch with a Robin on a stick with an WW2 helmet painted red.

0-0 and only 35,000 there. I remember it and the guy with the helmet. 

1971 aged 5, my old man took me into the eastend, i cant really remember it but i guess it had an impression on me because im still a season ticket holder now.

First away game Arsenal first game back in Div 1, loved every minute of it and Coventry last game of the season, i think other than Wembley that has to be the most City away fans ive seen.

Archived