IGNORED

I have an otib City dream ....

reddogkev

From about the age of 5. My dad was a season ticket holder but wouldn’t take me with him because he didn’t think it was safe for me to go at the time. He used to play “One for the Bristol City” on our record player and I loved it.

I missed the First Division days and am still gutted about it today. I would love to have watched City play top flight football.

Having come back from school one day in 1985 with 50p tickets to watch the Tinpot Mob at Eastville after they had visited our school my dad tore up the tickets and told me that he didn’t want me going to watch that shite, so he took me to watch City play out a 2-2 draw with York.

Within a year I was in the Eastend behind the goal with a load of mates from school, some of which have become even more fanatical than myself, going home and away and to England games and are involved with the Supporters Trust and Section 82.

Best memory for me was standing with my mates behind the centre of the goal in the Eastend during a match against Huddersfield when we were 4-0 up inside the first 20 minutes singing “Let’s Go F’ken Mental” ???

I remember a City v Rovers game in about 1994, myself, my Dad and a guy from our street went to the game. The other guy was a Rovers fan. Myself and my Dad bought a programme but couldn't get into the game, it'd sold out and we were pay on the day. His friend did get in so we left him there.

Think my Dad picked him up again after the game but can't be sure.

First had the idea in Primary School- late 90s then when people in my class spoke about going to City.

First game cemented it- at that age though the 6-1 was disastrous, that Wolfie v 3 pigs- combined with City cat being the peacemaker- left an impact. Aged 9 at that time.

That was when I instinctively knew this was the team for me- comedy value the fight, happily 20 years or so on we've had some successes on the pitch too.

Moved to Bristol from Belfast during 66/67 season as a football obsessed 10 year old. 

City were more attractive being in a higher division and they had a good season 65/66.                                      (Glory Hunter haha)

I badgered my Dad in to taking me and saw the last 2 home games a 2-1 loss to Rotherham and a 3-3 draw with Bury.

Haven't missed many home games since and still hunting that glory.

My first recollection of City was around 1978, from a friend on the school playground talking about them, and how his Dad had taken him to Ashton Gate to see a match, I think against Tottenham. Being regaled by this marvellous tale lit a fire in my heart, and I count myself a supporter since then.

Unfortunately my Dad was a staunch egg-chaser and still is. With the hooligan element and the horror stories of the time, I think he looked down upon football, and he wouldn't take me. I wasn't allowed to go with friends either! Eventually the pressure did pay off, and he took me to a game - watching the Rovers at Eastville.

Wrong choice, Dad! I preferred City, but was still a bit young I guess for that partisan rivalry we all eventually acquire, so I didn't mind so much - but God, how different things could have been! It was when I was a little older, around 1982, with City's terrible decline and threats of extinction that I finally got down the Gate. I went with a friend from school (a different one), on the bus one wet, chilly, tuesday night. Yes I sincerely regret not getting to see City in our our first division pomp, and only seeing my first game when we were in the fourth. But hey-ho. Can't recall much, except cold and constant drizzle, and Glynn Riley scoring a goal. But I was hooked, and was soon going every week, home and away, and haven't looked back since.

I was born in Bristol but grew up in Portugal so I can't honestly say City were my team at an early age, although we came back every year to family near Keynsham so at least all my earliest memories are the right side of town (Keynsham, Bedminster, Whitchurch, Pensford) to be City. I was probably Benfica if I was anything, and both having the same colours did play a part.

When we finally moved back to Bristol I do remember very clearly at school having mates that were City and the season Denis Smith and Andy Cole kept us up, one mate was City through and through wouldn't shut up about it, and quickly got me fascinated by City results and news. Started going down AG the following season under Smith and then Osman, and was totally hooked. 

From 06/07. I was taken to the first game of the season against Scunthorpe. Enoch scored the only goal of the game in front of the Atyeo, where I was. I would have been around 9 at the time and was completely converted from there on in, as it was my first ever live football game

I have considered myself a City fan for as long as I can remember. My dad has been a supporter since when he was a young child in the late 1950s (his uncle took him to games) so he must have drilled it into me from birth - he even put team pictures on my bedroom wall (and my sister’s wall too, but she grew up to hate football). My first game was a 3-1 home win vs Orient in 1981 when I was 7 or 8, but I nagged my parents to allow me to go to games before that - my mum was reluctant because of news reports of crowd trouble. Of course, that meant I missed our top-flight years. 

3 minutes ago, Offside said:

I have considered myself a City fan for as long as I can remember. My dad has been a supporter since when he was a young child in the late 1950s (his uncle took him to games) so he must have drilled it into me from birth - he even put team pictures on my bedroom wall (and my sister’s wall too, but she grew up to hate football). My first game was a 3-1 home win vs Orient in 1981 when I was 7 or 8, but I nagged my parents to allow me to go to games before that - my mum was reluctant because of news reports of crowd trouble. Of course, that meant I missed our top-flight years. 

Leyton Orient for me 30th April 66, 2-0 win. All I remember about the game is a couple of women at the front of the Enclosure telling the Orient players off for swearing.!!!

1 hour ago, redysteadygo1 said:

First attended in 1955,  can't remember who weplayed, but supported for years before following my dad's lead.

About the same time as me then. I would have been about 7. Cant remember who we played or the result but that day stood in 'crackers corner', shaped my commitment for life. Stood by the railings thinking WTF is going on. Things haven't changed much. I still think the same now at times over 60 years later. Red forever.

I have posted this at least twice before but I am sure most of you will not have read it. The first game I remember was Bristol City 4 Charlton 0. I have looked this up and it was Sept 1966, and I would have been 4 years old. The reason it was easy to find was that for some reason (world cup maybe?) we played them away 2 weeks later and lost 5-0! 

My cousin was a Charlton fan and had travelled down to see the game and stayed with us, we lived off North street and walked to the ground. I remember telling him that Alan Skirton was my favourite player, so I am pretty sure it was not my first game, but is the first one that stands out.

I also remember my nephews first game which was beating Bolton 4-1 in the old first division, John Bain came on as sub and set up one of the goals. My daughters first game was 1993 I think it was against Swindon, she was 4 then too and was obsessed with Wayne Allison as he had her name (Alison not Wayne :) ).

First game I remember was City v Spurs, League Cup semi final 1st leg, 1970.

My Dad wasn't a football fan, so aged 11 I arranged to meet a few school pals down there and we paid to get in the EE.

It was so packed we couldn't get any further than the top of the entrance slope, but the sights, sounds and smell of the East End as I looked across to the middle was fascinating.

I was mesmerised by everything about being inside Ashton Gate, a completely different and exciting new world.

I always say it was the fans and the incredible atmosphere they created, much more than the football, that did it for me.

Family lore tells me that my first game was against Blackburn in the late 60s - the story was that my younger brother (late of this forum) chose to go to the Rex and watch Pinocchio, which he was never allowed to forget...but I can remember nothing about the game and I'm not sure the dates tally...the first match I remember really clearly is the epic home FA cup tie against Leeds...

My first game was Port Vale at home, 0-0 in the 94/95 season. Don't remember much as I was only 2 and a half, but have the programme somewhere. My uncle took me who was an ST holder at the time. Went on and off for about 8 years when my uncle and grandpa would take me (don't remember a lot - I think the cider round these parts has scrambled most of my memories of before I was about 8 for some reason...), before going for most home games in the Brighton play off final season, and then getting my first season ticket in 04/05. Never looked back.

• Admin

I honestly have no idea of the actual year or game.  It would have been around 66/67, no amazing story to tell, taken by my old man, who wasn’t a fanatic, but he was City, there was a tinge of gas on the other side of the family, but it was never allowed to sow any seeds.  My memory for dates and times is and always has been terrible, so I can only start to recall snippets of games from 69 onwards, mostly by reading the old programmes I had from every game I attended - not now, in a moment of clarity when moving, I decided it was time to get rid of lots of my history and past, rather than wait for someone else to chuck it out when I’m dead, so boxes and boxes of programmes, going back to when they were 1 shilling, along with a big collection of shirts and other memorabilia all went to the tip.

I was a small child when taken to see City play QPR in 1962.  We won 2-0.   From that day, there was never any question who was my team, even though my father (who was a Cardiff City supporter) took me to see Rovers and the rugby too.  I’ve watched many other teams while at University and living away from Bristol, but nothing has ever come close to seeing City run out.  

1958 against rovers lost 4-3, family were all cheering for rovers - but I got really excited watching city and could not understand why Roy of the rovers was not there! He was in Tiger comic then!

but then I knew f - all about football then and still don’t! Only became a regular in the mid 60’s when the family moved to St Johns Lane

First time I remember being a Bristol City fan would be August 1979, first game of our last season of top class football. Leeds at home, 2:2. Sat in the Dolman, with older brother. Lift to and from the game provided by friend of parents, someone who still goes now and took us most weeks of that relegation season. He used to moan and grumble a lot, driving home post game/defeat, and was the first adult I knew that swore. Still going now (my lift back then), still grumbling.

But that was not my first time at AG. That came in April '78. Man Utd on a Tuesday evening, Stuart Pearson scored the only goal down the Open/Park End, where I was stood. As a Man Utd "fan."

Before this, I was a football mad nipper infatuated with the Dutch team of the mid (and then late) 70s, pretending to be Ruud Krol (who Alan Dicks made enquiries about, around 1978, apparently;  if only that had come off) or Robbie Rensenbrink. Never Johann Cruyff, oddly (I knew my limitations).

But first, at about 6 or 7, I was a George Best "fan." How this came about, I do not know. I had a colour book all about GB, a book in the "landscape" format I seem to remember.

From Bestie came the "support" - or the following of - Manchester United, in particular the Utd team under Tommy Doc with Martin Buchan, the Greenhoffs, Gerry Daly, Gordon Hill, a lad called Copple, or Cop-off, or out, or something, Big Joe, Stuart Pearson, a young exciting team that went around the country with a huge, passionate support, like Bay City Rollers FC. Then the Doc got caught offside, and .... anyway.

Then I went to secondary school, late 70s, and a couple of classmates were Bristol City fans. It was they that influenced/persuaded me to follow suit. I think there was a conversation where they said who they supported, I said who I supported, and then they responded with something along the lines of what you see on here when Bristolian Liverpool "fans" are discussed. I think I was shamed/embarrassed/slightly intimidated into becoming a Bristol City fan; or, at least, dropping the Man Utd thing/charade. But for them, I might today be a plastic, demoralised Man Utd fan.

Like @Nogbad the Bad, it was the sights and sounds and spectacle - being there, being a part of it - of the ground and the crowd that was exciting, and initially absorbing. The football didn't matter too much - how could it? My first three seasons ended in relegation. Going to the match, having a bit of freedom in the Schoolboys Enclosure, being close to the players, was magical.

I want to see us get back to the top division in English football to 1. Add to our thin but prowed tradition and history of being a top class football club, 2. To "right" the "wrong" and painful memories of 1980 to 1983. 3. To really ram it down the throats of the bitter, envious Few tossers with their laughable  jibes (from the dregs of the lower leagues) about Lansdown "spunking" millions etc, and 4. To inspire another generation of young 'uns and give them something brilliant to feel good about and something to use at school to see off the "plastic" Prem kiddies, and maybe persuade one or two of them to go local.

In between my first and second games at AG, my dear old dad - not a football fan at all - took me and my older brother, two days after his 14th birthday in January '79, to see West Ham beat Rovers 1:0 (Pop Robson) at Eastville. 12,000 I believe; it was 25,000 and 23,000 for my first two games at AG. So, no change there, and no contest. And no wins, in three games, for the local sides.

Short answer: it was Leeds at home, 1979.

Archived