IGNORED

I have an otib City dream ....

reddogkev

Hmmm, maybe 1975, my best friend at Junior School was the son of Jim Evans (City commercial manager) so I got lots of free stuff and went to a few matches...did some promotional stuff on match days when we got to 1st division (like kicking balls into crowd at halftime) and not looked back since. - the east end experience was intoxicating and addictive back then

I may have been taken before, but the first game I remember , and the first game I was allowed down on my own was Sunderland 4-3 15th of August 1970. Living on the wrong side of town I wasn't allowed to go down before, to get our football fix we went to Eastville , every week ! First team one week, Ressies the next, got Peter Bonetti's autograph when Chelsea played there. When City were there I looked like a little pile of red scarves crossing the Tote end.
If my parents had seen the trouble that day, no doubt I would have been banned for a few years longer.
I was always City from as long as I can remember, and as a six year old I got the best Birthday present ever, the full kit ! Now that sounds great ,  but it was 1966 so it was pre-badge , pre-sponsor and pre-logo. So it was just Red shorts, shirt and socks , but I'd never been so excited. Walking into the East End and it's famous open air toilets was amazing, the surges , the noise and atmosphere was just brilliant. I do feel a little sorry for anyone who hasn't experienced terracing , 

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Of a non-match day thread where every single, and yes I mean every single OTIB member posts something - obviously to do with football.

I guess I just want to see how many people read and respond to threads on this famous board, and if a single thread can attract a response from every one of you!

I have a question for you, can you recall the first approx. time / season you knew you were a City fan?

I knew I was a City fan fairly late in my life, relatively speaking, about the age of fourteen, in the early nineties. 

1985/86

Listening to my uncle and dad talk about city using we and us.

Loved it. It was who we are, where we’re from. It will always trump every plastic Liverpool or Utd fan who isn’t from there.

18 January 1992: City 2-2 Southend, back in the days when we had Wayner, Cole, Rosenior and Taylor to choose from up front.  

It was an eighth birthday present from an uncle and I remember a debut goal for Dziekanowski in front of the old East End, think Super Bob had just been sold to West Brom. 

I've got vague memories of a young Stan Collymore and Brett Angell being up front for Southend that day, mind. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

First had the idea in Primary School- late 90s then when people in my class spoke about going to City.

First game cemented it- at that age though the 6-1 was disastrous, that Wolfie v 3 pigs- combined with City cat being the peacemaker- left an impact. Aged 9 at that time.

That was when I instinctively knew this was the team for me- comedy value the fight, happily 20 years or so on we've had some successes on the pitch too.

You deserve a gold medal for coming back after that.

PS. That game I missed. I lived in Livingston, came down Friday evening, went to bed feeling sick and didn't wake up until 5pm on Saturday. Put Radio Bristol on and couldn't believe score. Bloody Wolves!

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You deserve a gold medal for coming back after that.

PS. That game I missed. I lived in Livingston, came down Friday evening, went to bed feeling sick and didn't wake up until 5pm on Saturday. Put Radio Bristol on and couldn't believe score. Bloody Wolves!

The daft thing about that game- comedy value mascots aside- was that we even scored first! Quite early too I think?

One thing I do recall was a GatePost- we had that in 1998/99. It was also Benny's first home game, a 6-1 loss following a 5-0 at Bradford in his debut. What I recall from the GatePost was talk of European football in x years, talk of joining the European revolution with managers, etc etc- just at a time they were becoming fashionable. Fairly sure plans for a new ground at Hengrove Park too at that time?

On the game itself, I remember booing- lots and lots of booing and no wonder with the 6-1 home disaster! :laughcont:

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

First time I remember being a Bristol City fan would be August 1979, first game of our last season of top class football. Leeds at home, 2:2. Sat in the Dolman, with older brother. Lift to and from the game provided by friend of parents, someone who still goes now and took us most weeks of that relegation season. He used to moan and grumble a lot, driving home post game/defeat, and was the first adult I knew that swore. Still going now (my lift back then), still grumbling.

But that was not my first time at AG. That came in April '78. Man Utd on a Tuesday evening, Stuart Pearson scored the only goal down the Open/Park End, where I was stood. As a Man Utd "fan."

Before this, I was a football mad nipper infatuated with the Dutch team of the mid (and then late) 70s, pretending to be Ruud Krol (who Alan Dicks made enquiries about, around 1978, apparently;  if only that had come off) or Robbie Rensenbrink. Never Johann Cruyff, oddly (I knew my limitations).

But first, at about 6 or 7, I was a George Best "fan." How this came about, I do not know. I had a colour book all about GB, a book in the "landscape" format I seem to remember.

From Bestie came the "support" - or the following of - Manchester United, in particular the Utd team under Tommy Doc with Martin Buchan, the Greenhoffs, Gerry Daly, Gordon Hill, a lad called Copple, or Cop-off, or out, or something, Big Joe, Stuart Pearson, a young exciting team that went around the country with a huge, passionate support, like Bay City Rollers FC. Then the Doc got caught offside, and .... anyway.

Then I went to secondary school, late 70s, and a couple of classmates were Bristol City fans. It was they that influenced/persuaded me to follow suit. I think there was a conversation where they said who they supported, I said who I supported, and then they responded with something along the lines of what you see on here when Bristolian Liverpool "fans" are discussed. I think I was shamed/embarrassed/slightly intimidated into becoming a Bristol City fan; or, at least, dropping the Man Utd thing/charade. But for them, I might today be a plastic, demoralised Man Utd fan.

Like @Nogbad the Bad, it was the sights and sounds and spectacle - being there, being a part of it - of the ground and the crowd that was exciting, and initially absorbing. The football didn't matter too much - how could it? My first three seasons ended in relegation. Going to the match, having a bit of freedom in the Schoolboys Enclosure, being close to the players, was magical.

I want to see us get back to the top division in English football to 1. Add to our thin but prowed tradition and history of being a top class football club, 2. To "right" the "wrong" and painful memories of 1980 to 1983. 3. To really ram it down the throats of the bitter, envious Few tossers with their laughable  jibes (from the dregs of the lower leagues) about Lansdown "spunking" millions etc, and 4. To inspire another generation of young 'uns and give them something brilliant to feel good about and something to use at school to see off the "plastic" Prem kiddies, and maybe persuade one or two of them to go local.

In between my first and second games at AG, my dear old dad - not a football fan at all - took me and my older brother, two days after his 14th birthday in January '79, to see West Ham beat Rovers 1:0 (Pop Robson) at Eastville. 12,000 I believe; it was 25,000 and 23,000 for my first two games at AG. So, no change there, and no contest. And no wins, in three games, for the local sides.

Short answer: it was Leeds at home, 1979.

From one nutter to another. Thanks for sharing with us. We're all mad aren't we.

COME ON YOU REDS.

When city got promoted in 76 my mum and dad got me the away kit that city wore when  we beat Arsenal that lovely summer afternoon.

i was 6 .

im a glory hunter!

My first live game was jan 79 against spurs when I believe there was 32000 and Gerry Gow got booked in front of me in the children’s enclosure. We drew 0-0.The game was on MOTD and I was allowed to stay up to watch.

Ive been hooked every since.

Now me and my boys go and hopefully they experience the same high and lows that  the mighty reds have given me.CTID.

11 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Of a non-match day thread where every single, and yes I mean every single OTIB member posts something - obviously to do with football.

I guess I just want to see how many people read and respond to threads on this famous board, and if a single thread can attract a response from every one of you!

I have a question for you, can you recall the first approx. time / season you knew you were a City fan?

I knew I was a City fan fairly late in my life, relatively speaking, about the age of fourteen, in the early nineties. 

About 1977 when my dad brought home two big posters, one of City squad, one of Rovers squad.  The City one went above my bed, the Rovers one above my Brothers bed.  My brother already liked Liverpool, and as I liked Red, I got the City one.

I can't think of anything to do with football, but I do much prefer the new (? I think, at least I have only just noticed and can't see it having been discussed anywhere) "like" icons. Better than the random and unlovable burger and chicken etc. Although you could still get rid of the stupid unicorn.

Well, my OTIB dream has worked out very well, some fantastic detail here, bloody brilliant stuff.

I'm going to read this over a few times in the next few months, nothing like going back over little snippets of City history.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

About 1977 when my dad brought home two big posters, one of City squad, one of Rovers squad.  The City one went above my bed, the Rovers one above my Brothers bed.  My brother already liked Liverpool, and as I liked Red, I got the City one.

I have to question your dad's motives, why the two posters?  If he was a fan of either club, surely the other one would have been burned!

Dave, thank God you liked the colour red, imagine how horrible your footballing years would be if blue had been your shade of choice.

67/68 City flags draped over the balconys in the tower blocks, watching the Dolman rise, sitting on the benches around the inside of railings, feeling the Eastend pulse through your veins on great days at the Gate, and of course seeing your club make the top division and seeing a great team and manager in The Williams from the pitch.

Been to the top div and bottom div with this my club and seen them play in the biggest stadiums in this country and many others that aren't here now.

My attendance has fallen away now as our old Eastend and ground has, maybe safe standing and my grandchildren will re-kindle things:dunno::tv_horror:

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I may have been taken before, but the first game I remember , and the first game I was allowed down on my own was Sunderland 4-3 15th of August 1970. Living on the wrong side of town I wasn't allowed to go down before, to get our football fix we went to Eastville , every week ! First team one week, Ressies the next, got Peter Bonetti's autograph when Chelsea played there. When City were there I looked like a little pile of red scarves crossing the Tote end.
If my parents had seen the trouble that day, no doubt I would have been banned for a few years longer.
I was always City from as long as I can remember, and as a six year old I got the best Birthday present ever, the full kit ! Now that sounds great ,  but it was 1966 so it was pre-badge , pre-sponsor and pre-logo. So it was just Red shorts, shirt and socks , but I'd never been so excited. Walking into the East End and it's famous open air toilets was amazing, the surges , the noise and atmosphere was just brilliant. I do feel a little sorry for anyone who hasn't experienced terracing , 

Ken Whimshurst  scored the winning goal with a 20 yarder.

Was in the East End that day with a Mackem.

3 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Would have to be my first away game vs Barnsley in the 2002/03 season...we won 1-0 with Tony Rougier scoring. Had been to home games for a season or so before that but that game is my first real vivid memory of being a city supporter.

His brother was the better player.

4 hours ago, swanker said:

My first game was Oxford Utd at home about 71. We lost 0-4. I was hooked and still get a buzz attending games now.

Can’t wait until the new season!

Ha, was at that game. Was early in the season and I think we were top with Oxford not far below us.

Dolman Stand had just opened, my Dad had got us season tickets although we had just moved to South Devon, a 200 mile round trip ever other Sat then occurred.

If memory serves me right Oxford were 4 up within 25 minutes that day. I remember my Dad left at h/t that day, he could never handle it if we were getting a pasting.

Could tell you about so many times my Dad left the ground early only for roar of a City goal caught up with him.

He's gone now but with me every time I walk up the steps and look down at the pitch.

7 hours ago, marmite said:

About the same time as me then. I would have been about 7. Cant remember who we played or the result but that day stood in 'crackers corner', shaped my commitment for life. Stood by the railings thinking WTF is going on. Things haven't changed much. I still think the same now at times over 60 years later. Red forever.

I was also seven and was on the railings at 'crackers corner'. Started playing on Saturday afternoons at the age of 12 almost uninterrupted until into my fifties so only watched when we never had games or night games. Have been a season ticket  card holder for the past 26 years.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I have to question your dad's motives, why the two posters?  If he was a fan of either club, surely the other one would have been burned!

Dave, thank God you liked the colour red, imagine how horrible your footballing years would be if blue had been your shade of choice.

He was in the print business and I think he got them free.  Had to cover the Action Man wallpaper up somehow!!

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was mesmerised by everything about being inside Ashton Gate, a completely different and exciting new world.

I always say it was the fans and the incredible atmosphere they created, much more than the football, that did it for me.

Spot on, I will never forget walking up into the Enclosure as a 10 year old, looking across to my right and being stunned by the deafening noise and packed-in faces on the East End. 

As it happens my first game was down the Rovers, Eastville, mid 70s. Sorry about that. My best mate's dad started taking us to games at both City and Rovers games in consecutive weeks and, OMFG the GAP!

The gap in the mid 70s was huge and for a ten year old, woah! easy decision!

Everything about City was way superior to Rovers in 1975; the quality of the football, the stadium, the crowds, the atmosphere...I guess not much has changed, except that gap has become a canyon. 

Memory is a bit hazy of the first home game. Must have been around 64-65. Was there for Atyeo’s final game in 66. Big disappointment  to my dad who wanted me to a rugby fan. Can actually remember being taken to The Mem and bored, climbing on top of the railings, slipping and actually swinging through the gap in the vertical bars and coming out unscathed on the other side - so I must have been a slip of a lad when first taken to watch professional sport in Bristol!

Clearer recall for the first couple of aways - was there on the Tote (and flower beds) for the 5-0 against The Gas in 68, also the Town End for the 1-0 and Wolves in the cup around that time. 

Stuff the glory hunters. Following City has been the most amazing journey over the years. No supporter of any Club could have experienced such highs and lows in one lifetime. We’re what football supporting is about. .. from away at Newport, Chester et al in  Division 4 to Arsenal, Chelsea in Division 1. 

October 1971 as an 8 year old against Leyton Orient. We won 5-3, Always believed we were 0-3 down at half time? Galley got a couple that day. 

My old man was rovers and took me along to a few games, but in a neutral area. No joy or interest. His sister Deb was city mad and with her boyfriend Mick took me down the gate “to watch a proper football team”. Straight into the east end and it was brilliant. Hooked from then on. and followed home and away all through the 70’s. Group gradually got bigger and remember about 15 of us crammed into a blue Bedford van, for most away matches. Led across each other in the back, brilliant. 

Home matches were a whole day experience. Used to leave home in Kingswood about 10, meet up and head down to New Cheltenham to gather more, then back up to Greasy Erns chippie in Moravian Road, on down to Hanham bus station! Why I didn’t wait in Kingswood, I never understood, it just seemed part of the day, walking about 3 miles to end up metres from where I started?

Archived