IGNORED

I have an otib City dream ....

reddogkev

Excellent thread!

pretty sure my first game was in or around 85, and was a 2.2 draw with gillingham, i would have been 8. My dad would have taken me and my cuz, and it would have been in the east end. So many memories, wembley twice in the 80s, finally beating rovers with louie donowa, taylor  and turner, etc etc!!!

dont get to lots of games now cause of work and family commitments, but i take my boy when i can, and it was great to see him engaged and jumping when famara got his last minute penalty against qpr.

7 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Ken Whimshurst  scored the winning goal with a 20 yarder.

Was in the East End that day with a Mackem.

Not sure I saw too much. As a 10 year old, just lower left of the middle of then East End , could barely see the pitch over the heads (and scarves). Fantastic experience and we stood on the same spot for years.

I knew I was a City fan when I was around 8 years old in the late 80s. I was not allowed to go to a game until I was 11. Why on earth my folks let me go against pompey in 92 of all the games!! 

For a first game it had everything. Goals, Dziekanowski and a kick off in the Dolman. 

Ever since then I've loved this club. Our City! 

For those that remember here is a clip. For those that don't, excuse the scenes at the beginning and enjoy the football. 

I always remember following Arsenal when I was at junior school in the early 70's (charlie george era). I was keen on football but we didn't have any spare money and going to live games was out of my dad's spending power with 4 kids to keep.

My uncle was a gashead and I went to a few games at Eastville with them (they paid) so it almost ended in tragedy. My memory is a bit vague but I think it was '74 they took me to AG. There was a league game just before we played Liverpool in the League cup. A stub from that game gave priority for the Cup game and my glory-hunting uncle wanted to see Liverpool live. Can't remember who it was...

Have to say I don't remember much about that game - would've been 13. Next season was promotion and by then I'd seriously got interested but didn't go to any games. My first live game that I remember properly was with my Dad -the 1-0 away to Arsenal. Our coach got bricked on the way out of Highbury. From that day on I was hooked.

So - another glory hunter.

10th April 1990. 

City 4-1 Crewe

16th April 1990.

City 5-1 Fulham

I think the season ended there ?. Can anyone say they got off to a better City start than I did?!

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

0-0 Home to Leicester City, 1969?  ish

Yes, i'm an old *****r

A great start to a lifetime's fun and games

0-0 ffs

Christ... you’re that old? Would never have called that!

14 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

Hmmm, maybe 1975, my best friend at Junior School was the son of Jim Evans (City commercial manager) so I got lots of free stuff and went to a few matches...did some promotional stuff on match days when we got to 1st division (like kicking balls into crowd at halftime) and not looked back since. - the east end experience was intoxicating and addictive back then

(like kicking balls into crowd at halftime ) 

Welcome back Frankie !

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

My memory is a bit vague but I think it was '74 they took me to AG. There was a league game just before we played Liverpool in the League cup. A stub from that game gave priority for the Cup game and my glory-hunting uncle wanted to see Liverpool live. Can't remember who it was...

Oxford iirc., and a 26k crowd for a nothing game, although as I recall I had to battle my way to the massive queues through fans leaving the area with their cup priority stubs already in their hands, having paid to get in then not staying to watch the game.

10 hours ago, redysteadygo1 said:

I was also seven and was on the railings at 'crackers corner'. Started playing on Saturday afternoons at the age of 12 almost uninterrupted until into my fifties so only watched when we never had games or night games. Have been a season ticket  card holder for the past 26 years.

Yep, I was on those railings too.  I remember we used to try to stick our legs through them and over the wall, but someone always told us to pull them back again.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

10th April 1990. 

City 4-1 Crewe

16th April 1990.

City 5-1 Fulham

I think the season ended there ?. Can anyone say they got off to a better City start than I did?!

Christ... you’re that old? Would never have called that!

Thank you :laugh: I think

Dad and grandad we both fans, when I was young, I wanted to support Arsenal because a load of mates down the road did. I was told by my dad “You can support anyone you want but if you want to go to games, either support City or Wycombe Wanderers” (my local team). I never looked back. Took a lot of stick from people at school for supporting them but when we beat United and gave City a run for their money, no one was laughing anymore.

On 04/06/2019 at 08:16, reddogkev said:

Of a non-match day thread where every single, and yes I mean every single OTIB member posts something - obviously to do with football.

I guess I just want to see how many people read and respond to threads on this famous board, and if a single thread can attract a response from every one of you!

I have a question for you, can you recall the first approx. time / season you knew you were a City fan?

I knew I was a City fan fairly late in my life, relatively speaking, about the age of fourteen, in the early nineties. 

First game was the 6-1 loss to Wolves. Can't say I remember it though!

I'd say the first lot of players I remember are the likes of Matty Hill, Bell, Carey, Butler, Coles, Murray, Tins, Doherty etc

I’ve no idea who we played in my first game at the Gate? It was late 80s, jorden in charge and we drew out a tedious 0-0! I was in my late teens and couldn’t wait to get back to the pub to be honest. I got hooked though and kept coming back for more. ST in A block a few years later.

I was born in Bristol and spent the first 7 years of life living in Hotwells. You could see Ashton Gate from my bedroom window. However, my dad wasn't into football and held the opinion that a stadium was no place to take a young boy, so I never went.  I grew up in the 90's and engaged in football without ever really being a fan. A complete lack of natural ability on the pitch meant that I never really felt involved. My mates not only watched football, they all played it at the weekends as well. I would join in with the lunchtime kickabouts but proper football practice was a miserable time for one with two left feet.  That said I quickly realised that knowledge of football could be a really helpful social tool, all the other boys liked football and so if I liked it too then I would be able to make friends with them. Seems weird? Yes I guess it was. Anyway, I did the panini stickers, I read FourFourTwo, I watched MOTD, and I picked Man Utd because they won everything.   

Then as I went through my teenage yeas I slowly came to the realisation that being a Man Utd fan was faintly ridiculous. I had never been to Manchester, I had no family there, I was unlikely to ever go. I looked up the road and saw that there was a decent team in Bristol. This would be in the early 2000's when City were in League 1. I took a passing interest, began to say "Bristol City" when asked who I supported...but still couldn't really say much about who played for us (bar the odd Lita or Maynard type player). It wasn't until I was heading to university in 2007 that I really nailed my colours to the mast. The "football as a social lubricator" came up again and I decided that in freshers week I needed to be able to introduce myself as having a team. I guess therefore that the first season that I properly followed City was 07/08. I didn't go to my first game until 2010; Sheffield Utd at home on a freezing cold November evening when Pitman scored two penalties and Jamie McAllister scored direct from a corner. Loved it ever since. 

Well, I'll be buggered if I'm going to go through and check, but I reckon we must have nearly all regular forum users with a response on this thread.

Cheers all, I've loved reading every comment.

My next task .... get us all to sit together for a City game - the OTIB block!  Perhaps against Palace?

August 1976. We had just moved into our first house in Clifton Wood.

I was in the (tiny) garden) on a Saturday afternoon and heard a great roar which I eventually realised was coming from AG which I had never been to.

I checked out the fixtures (the old 1st Division then) and quite soon I was at a home game in the old enclosure v Don Revie's Leeds U including Joe Jordan and Norman Hunter - who would go on to play for us in the twilight of their careers.

For younger fans, the enclosure was a standing only area at the bottom of the old Williams Stand - now the Lansdown. 

On 04/06/2019 at 09:00, Norn Iron said:

We moved back to my parents' home city back in 1977. Although I had been to the Gate a few times before then, it wasn't until the Joe Royle/Boro match in the November that I can look back now and realise I had become a City fan.

Prior to that season, I'd been supporting our local team Luton Town. As a 16 year old, continuing my support for the Hatters was not financially achievable from Bristol. Supporting the team my Dad used to watch was an easy decision plus the bus from Nailsea to AG was cheap!

Had I not supported the City, I'd be wealthy had I saved instead of all those away matches on Coach 2 and then driving to the games plus season tickets etc..

Would I do it all again if I had the chance? Too damn right I would! 

I remember that evening game v Boro. I think it was Royle's debut game for us (can't remember who we signed him from) but I think he scored four goals for us, 

Was always going to be a City fan, being born to a father of Coronation Road....and first game was Joe Royle's first game vs Boro, all 4 for the big man, watching from the Open End perched on a small wooden (homemade) stool and seeing the sea of scarves and the wall of noise from the East End.

Hugely happy memories, been following the boys all over the country ever since, through thick and thin, good and bad

27 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

I remember that evening game v Boro. I think it was Royle's debut game for us (can't remember who we signed him from) but I think he scored four goals for us, 

I thought it was a Saturday afternoon ko but late November so the lights would've been on. I think we got him from Man City (unless he had been on loan to them from Everton).

I saw Joe play as a make shift centre half at  NottinghamForest. He was superb! 

Watched my first game from the East End in 1971 against Fulham.My dear old dad was a Fulham fan so we came up from Somerset with dads mate(I think we lost 0-1).Came up to Ashton Gate a few times a season after that but I didn't really get hooked until about 1976.Started coming to games regular from about 1984 and have held a season ticket since 1992!!

Archived