IGNORED

M4 Relief Road

Undy English

For those unaware, for some time now both the Westminster Government and Welsh Assembly have been looking into building a 6 lane M4 relief road around the Newport area.

For those unaware, congestion around South Wales on the M4 is horrific. Hours of delays for commuters and commercial vehicles. Business suffering and new businesses being put off setting up shop in Wales.

After years of discussion, £40mil spent and compulsory purchases, the Welsh Assembly threw the idea out yesterday citing costs (1.4bil) and wildlife concerns.

For any on OTIB who live in S.Wales or use the M4 to commute, this will be extremely disappointing news.  

Madness how the NIMBYs and climate protestors win - how is not doing this going to improve the air pollution given the cluster**** that is the M4 around Newport currently. Not sure how it’s going to ruin a idyllic bit of land either, it’s going past Llanwern steelworks ffs 

55 minutes ago, TomF said:

Madness how the NIMBYs and climate protestors win - how is not doing this going to improve the air pollution given the cluster**** that is the M4 around Newport currently. Not sure how it’s going to ruin a idyllic bit of land either, it’s going past Llanwern steelworks ffs 

Possibly with the bridge tolls scrapped the land is more valuable for housing?

Crazy decision by the few which affects the many yet again. I really do wonder if the people who reject this sort of stuff ever experience it, they probably wizz through cocooned in their First Class rail carriages. 

Horrendous decision, have lived in both Cardiff and Newport and its just pointless leaving at certain times as you know you won't be moving, I sometimes took the A48 instead as it would get me between Newport and Cardiff quicker than the motorway. Its so busy they practically just leave the variable speed changes on all day.

Related image

A commission to find alternative ways to ease M4 congestion at Newport will make initial findings in six months, Wales' transport minister Ken Skates said.

Mr Skates said the body will look at finding a combination of solutions to tackle the problem.

But he said greater use of routes such as the A465 needed to be examined.

You mean the A465 which doesn't really help people using the M4 anyway and certainly those who start their journey in wales....

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That Newport stretch of the M4 is the busiest bit of inner city motorway outside of the M25. Anything happening in the Brynglas tunnels absolutely stuffs the whole area for hours.

I had to go to the data centre in Newport Friday before last - 4.5 hour round trip and I spend a grand total of 15 minutes at the DC!   The road when you come off at Major and route round past Llanwern isn’t bad but it still gets choked by couple of lousy roundabouts in Newport. If nothing else if they could extend that to all dual carriage way to where the A48 junction is on M4 it would be something 

7 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

The M4 Newport and in Port Talbot has now had its "temporary" 50mph speed limit permanent.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/50mph-speed-limits-m4-made-16470461

Judging by the way (I dont travel these roads) that it jams due to the tunnels in Newport, This wont make an ounce of difference.

Wait that was temporary? Port Talbot always annoyed me driving to Swansea 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Wait that was temporary? Port Talbot always annoyed me driving to Swansea 

On a busy day you’ll struggle to do 50mph on that bit anyway. 

Port Talbot air quality though, I can’t help think the motorway isn’t really the main issue ?

Archived