IGNORED

Separate women's football forum?

Eddie Hitler

There are a number of people on here who are interested in women's football but a larger number who aren't.

As a consequence most threads relating to it tend to follow the same path of argument which is: comparing it to the men's game.  The endless reruns of this debate detract from the genuine achievements of those players.

If there was a separate women's football forum then only those who were interested would post there so you wouldn't get the negative responses.

Women's football is great for those who are interested in it but, as with Formula 1 motor racing, I'm in the uninterested majority.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I say no to a separate forum. It's football and it's Bristol City.

Concerts at Ashton Gate should not be on the football chat though. 

It's Bristol City WOMEN. I have no interest in it. It needs its own forum so people that are interested in it can talk about it free from it going down the same road it always does - comparisons with the mens game, as @Eddie Hitler said.

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's Bristol City WOMEN. I have no interest in it. It needs its own forum so people that are interested in it can talk about it free from it going down the same road it always does - comparisons with the mens game, as @Eddie Hitler said.

Yep I agree it needs a separate sub forum if possible.

Or even just a single thread it all gets merged into like the Rovers one. 

3 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I say no to a separate forum. It's football and it's Bristol City.

Concerts at Ashton Gate should not be on the football chat though. 

My point is that it would serve the women's team better by being on separate forum.

That I have no interest in it doesn't mean that I think it has no value. 

You are not going to make people interested in it by forcing them to read or hear about it, as the BBC does.

You are going to irritate them and so invite denigration of the women's game; either by rubbishing it or by "I would" type comments about particular players.

• Admin

At the moment there are so few topics on the womens game, I can't personally see a need for a seperate forum

Otherwise we could get a Premiership one, a non league one, European one etc etc

Looking back through this site since the start of May the below are the only threads about womens football

43 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There are a number of people on here who are interested in women's football but a larger number who aren't.

As a consequence most threads relating to it tend to follow the same path of argument which is: comparing it to the men's game.  The endless reruns of this debate detract from the genuine achievements of those players.

If there was a separate women's football forum then only those who were interested would post there so you wouldn't get the negative responses.

Women's football is great for those who are interested in it but, as with Formula 1 motor racing, I'm in the uninterested majority.

I understand what you are saying to an extent but I don't agree. I feel creating a separate forum says "it's not really football", which I think is unfair. I think it needs to be discussed openly here, I think the World Cup may surprise a few that don't realise how much the standards have improved and I think this should be reflected in the main forum discussions.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

At the moment there are so few topics on the womens game, I can't personally see a need for a seperate forum

Having read through the oldest four links they are a magnet for negative comments.  Nobody is being nasty but they are posting that they're not interested, never heard of them, kit off etc.

I really don't think it helps women's football to have their threads on the main forum.

Seems unnecessary. There isn't that much chat about it, just the odd piece of noticeable content that people have found and feel is worth sharing. 

Alternatively, if you are looking to create a women's team sub-section, create one for the rugby and basketball too. Only fair...

Yesterday I listened to a radio interview with the “curator” of the women’s football exhibits at the national football museum. The context was the unveiling of a statue of a famous English lady footballer from the 1920’s. I had never before heard her name (and would have to look it up because I can’t remember it!). 

The curator said that the aim is to have a 50:50 split of men’s and women’s football exhibits within a few years and I was amazed (although not surprised) to hear this. Surely, the history of the men’s game is SO much richer?

Whilst the ladies game does have a history dating back to the start of the last century, it’s only recently that it’s enjoyed a renaissance and grown in popularity. I firmly believe in equality in all its forms but to try to have equal representation of the football genders - even in a museum - is a bit rich imo. 

Personally I’d prefer that there NOT be a separate Women’s Football Forum on OTIB. Let’s keep it integrated into the main forum otherwise I’ll never learn of developments in the sport from a BCFC perspective (because I’ll be unlikely to ever visit a dedicated sub-forum).

I’ll be very interested to hear the views of the ladies on the forum eg @RedM @Dollymarie @In the Net @citygal etc. They’ll certainly let us know if us blokes are displaying  completely misogynistic tendencies (we probably are, in which case, apologies). 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

If you look at handball the womens game is more tactical and technical than the mens game. On top you can add fair play. The same thing will ultimately happen in football.  

Interestingly, the Bristol City Women's goalkeepers had some training sessions with Bristol Handball Club;

30 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Yesterday I listened to a radio interview with the “curator” of the women’s football exhibits at the national football museum. The context was the unveiling of a statue of a famous English lady footballer from the 1920’s. I had never before heard her name (and would have to look it up because I can’t remember it!). 

The curator said that the aim is to have a 50:50 split of men’s and women’s football exhibits within a few years and I was amazed (although not surprised) to hear this. Surely, the history of the men’s game is SO much richer?

Whilst the ladies game does have a history dating back to the start of the last century, it’s only recently that it’s enjoyed a renaissance and grown in popularity. I firmly believe in equality in all its forms but to try to have equal representation of the football genders - even in a museum - is a bit rich imo. 

Personally I’d prefer that there NOT be a separate Women’s Football Forum on OTIB. Let’s keep it integrated into the main forum otherwise I’ll never learn of developments in the sport from a BCFC perspective (because I’ll be unlikely to ever visit a dedicated sub-forum).

I’ll be very interested to hear the views of the ladies on the forum eg @RedM @Dollymarie @In the Net @citygal etc. They’ll certainly let us know if us blokes are displaying  completely misogynistic tendencies (we probably are, in which case, apologies). 

Well as you asked...Personally I think (hope) we’ve gone past the ‘as long as they swop shirts at the end’ type of comments. Yes I will hold my hand up and admit I like a laugh and a joke and even confess to lusting after an very ex player so it’s not double standards by myself. But the days of girls, women, ladies, female not watching football, never mind playing it should be long gone.

I still think it’s a game obviously very much dominated by men, boys, males and I have no problem with that and wouldn’t want it any other way, but even on here now and again there are rumblings of prejudice, as recent as a few days ago which I know many of you saw there was a comment directed at me purely because I am female. 

I personally don’t enjoy watching ladies football that much, but I’ve only seen one live game. I can’t really say why but maybe it hasn’t got the edgyness of the mans game. Yes women can be skilful but it’s just not for me. I think it’s probably one of those games that playing is so much better than watching as far as I’m concerned ( if only I was 18 again I would have been involved somehow I’m sure).

That said I would fully support any girl/lady/female who wants to play and glad she now has the choice to. The England team  has a high profile manager and that can only be a good thing for the ladies game.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Sexist.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Certain posters manage to "wander into" the transfer forum. Having your own forum for the topics would in no way prevent the people doing the things you say. 

Having a dedicated thread, one for BCFC Women and one for General Women's football would suffice IMO. I think a forum for it would be a ghost town.

A suggestion to pin it/them. during the Women's world cup so that anyone remotely interested in it can find and follow the content.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I understand what you are saying to an extent but I don't agree. I feel creating a separate forum says "it's not really football", which I think is unfair. I think it needs to be discussed openly here, I think the World Cup may surprise a few that don't realise how much the standards have improved and I think this should be reflected in the main forum discussions.

So you won't mind if people express the view that it isn't actually good enough to merit the amount of attention it receives ? Last time I did that I got absolute pelters from the zealots and it will no doubt happen again.

There is a separate transfer forum which I guess 95% of city fans would  consider much more relevant to Bristol City, so personally I see no reason not to have a separate forum for the womens teams.

Won't happen anyway. but I thought it was a good suggestion

I don't see any problem with having a separate sub forum for women's football. People who are interested in all aspects of the game can post what they want on there. I think it gives it more status and possibly would encourage people who only are interested in the women's game to post, especially if it dissuades others who are likely to highjack threads from posting. I'm not particularly interested with the women's team at the moment but the more BCFC are involved, I may become more interested as they progress, a separate sub forum would then allow me to access information more easily.

While on principle I don't like the idea of separate forums, it would help against the inevitable thread derailings from the people who somehow think we want to hear extensively about their disdain for women who have the absolute audacity to want to...play football.

Our women's team is something to be proud of. I mean, we're in the top division! Sadly though, until wider society (and football supporter culture) catches up a bit, we should have a separate place for interested people to discuss it properly. My girlfriend supports Chelsea and we intend to watch the women's games between our teams if we move to Bristol in the near future. The last few years in particular have been crucial for developing the sport and ensuring good quality coaching, particularly in regard to goalkeeping

Archived