IGNORED

Separate women's football forum?

Eddie Hitler

• Admin
27 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Compared to Barcelona Bristol City males hardly play football. It's something else. 

20 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We should stand up for our daughters and not shy away

I'm guessing today was an early finish from work?

24 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

While on principle I don't like the idea of separate forums, it would help against the inevitable thread derailings from the people who somehow think we want to hear extensively about their disdain for women who have the absolute audacity to want to...play football.

Our women's team is something to be proud of. I mean, we're in the top division! Sadly though, until wider society (and football supporter culture) catches up a bit, we should have a separate place for interested people to discuss it properly. My girlfriend supports Chelsea and we intend to watch the women's games between our teams if we move to Bristol in the near future. The last few years in particular have been crucial for developing the sport and ensuring good quality coaching, particularly in regard to goalkeeping

I have no disdain for women who want to play - i just have no interest in watching it. Anyone who derails a thread is an idiot. I just ignore all the news about the womens team.

I'm not against women sport. I watch womens boxing and enjoy some of it. Just dont enjoy womens football. Just a personal choice

35 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

So you won't mind if people express the view that it isn't actually good enough to merit the amount of attention it receives ? Last time I did that I got absolute pelters from the zealots and it will no doubt happen again.

There is a separate transfer forum which I guess 95% of city fans would  consider much more relevant to Bristol City, so personally I see no reason not to have a separate forum for the womens teams.

Won't happen anyway. but I thought it was a good suggestion

If thats how you feel then feel free to say so. I don't know about your views, but the ones I see seem based on games from the past or 10 minutes here and there, rather on 90 minutes of current action. Of course there are poor games, teams and players, but that is true of the mens game too. As others have said, it is a different type of game anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I have no disdain for women who want to play - i just have no interest in watching it. Anyone who derails a thread is an idiot. I just ignore all the news about the womens team.

I'm not against women sport. I watch womens boxing and enjoy some of it. Just dont enjoy womens football. Just a personal choice

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with simply not having an interest in it, as you have described. I am sure that there are many that feel this way while not holding a negative sentiment to women's football. Sadly there are too many people here who really like to go through an extremely tired 'comedy' routine about things that they don't like, under the delusion that people are interested in such a thing. I would like to have a discussion about something that interests me, without having to deal with hordes of these people. This is therefore a situation where a separate forum becomes mutually beneficial.

In regard to your belief that the coverage is currently excessive; it's the World Cup shortly and they are naturally using that to raise as much awareness as possible and encourage people to watch it. Still not for everybody, but it is inevitable that they will take this opportunity. I watched the Women's Euros a couple of years ago and found it enjoyable; until England got absolutely dicked (pussied?) by the Netherlands.

5 minutes ago, Judda said:

Sorry. I meant sexiest 

Fair play to you.my daughter excelled at most sports including football. She is a very strong young women and I am in awe of what lies ahead for her.

I think girls and women should be encouraged to play, my sole issue is the amount of exposure it gets at this stage at the top level, when  in my opinion it isn't worthy of it.

3 minutes ago, Homer Simpson said:

Must be just as annoying for them to have mens shoved down their throats.

I'm sure they dont get annoyed. I'm sure the mens game is the reason for them being into football in the first place. poor argument.

I do feel sorry for the keepers in women's football. After all, a standard goal is 8 feet high. Not too much much of a problem if you're a 6 foot 5 bloke, but the average lady would stand no chance of stopping a shot hit into the top corner. 

Perhaps the fairer sex should have smaller goals, or would that be considered sexist? 

4 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I do feel sorry for the keepers in women's football. After all, a standard goal is 8 feet high. Not too much much of a problem if you're a 6 foot 5 bloke, but the average lady would stand no chance of stopping a shot hit into the top corner. 

Perhaps the fairer sex should have smaller goals, or would that be considered sexist? 

I'd argue we've only had keepers that tall for the last 10-20 years. I think the argument should be, when are we making goals bigger :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I'd argue we've only had keepers that tall for the last 10-20 years. I think the argument should be, when are we making goals bigger :laugh:

I would imagine some very high quality goalies in the 1960's would have got by at around 5'9 in the days when they would be shoulder barged  ? I just checked and couldn't believe Gordon Banks was 6'2 mind !

Plenty of 6 footers among the womens game now I expect so full sized goals shouldn't be a huge issue, and there is of course the argument that more goals encourages more spectators.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Fair play to you.my daughter excelled at most sports including football. She is a very strong young women and I am in awe of what lies ahead for her.

I think girls and women should be encouraged to play, my sole issue is the amount of exposure it gets at this stage at the top level, when  in my opinion it isn't worthy of it.

It's almost a catch 22 situation though.

Whilst the standard (and even the viewing figures) at present probably doesn't merit the amount it gets...Without the exposure it will never improve. Like most things it comes down to money - money mostly comes from advertising revenue and Tv. Why wouldnt tv or advertising companies that have paid for it not try to give it exposure?

The mens game had nearly 100 years head start. Male bigwigs have also held the womens game back at numerous times through history stretching back to actually banning it after the first world war. Would it really hurt to help it grow for a change? Like everything else it's perfectly avoidable if you want it to be. I manage to when i want to.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There are a number of people on here who are interested in women's football but a larger number who aren't.

As a consequence most threads relating to it tend to follow the same path of argument which is: comparing it to the men's game.  The endless reruns of this debate detract from the genuine achievements of those players.

If there was a separate women's football forum then only those who were interested would post there so you wouldn't get the negative responses.

Women's football is great for those who are interested in it but, as with Formula 1 motor racing, I'm in the uninterested majority.

I wish BBC Football site would do the same .

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Having read through the oldest four links they are a magnet for negative comments.  Nobody is being nasty but they are posting that they're not interested, never heard of them, kit off etc.

I really don't think it helps women's football to have their threads on the main forum.

Counts as nasty. No place for it

5 hours ago, Riaz said:

It is annoying that we seem to be having womens football shoved down our throats at the moment.

Even worse that they are now sat giving opinions next to champions league winners on the tv.

dreadful standard, but I guarantee their will be a clamour for them to get equal pay eventually

5 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Even worse that they are now sat giving opinions next to champions league winners on the tv.

dreadful standard, but I guarantee their will be a clamour for them to get equal pay eventually

They are trying to get equal pay in the states at the moment,  I think it maybe going through the courts. Good luck to them I say.

3 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

They are trying to get equal pay in the states at the moment,  I think it maybe going through the courts. Good luck to them I say.

It's a nonsense. Sports people are like pop stars who are paid based upon the money they bring in. It's entertainment and not like a normal job that requires a standard set of skills.

A busker can't demand to be paid as much as Bruce Springsteen because he stands up and plays the guitar and sings. Bruce Springsteen plays every gig to thousands; the busker to passers by.

Male models earn a fraction of the money that female models get because they have much less effect on sales.  Though I'm sure they put as much effort into keeping fit and looking good.

It's not how hard you work or how good you are in these roles: it's how much money you bring in that dictates your pay.

I actually feel the women's clubs should stick with their own names and brand their teams separately.  For me, Bristol City FC is a male football team, not sexist of course, just the way it has always been.

I thought it was a good idea when the woman's team was called Bristol Vixens, as it was their separate team, with their own identity.

I don't get why the women's clubs merely want to be imitations of the male clubs that already exist.

28 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It's almost a catch 22 situation though.

Whilst the standard (and even the viewing figures) at present probably doesn't merit the amount it gets...Without the exposure it will never improve. Like most things it comes down to money - money mostly comes from advertising revenue and Tv. Why wouldnt tv or advertising companies that have paid for it not try to give it exposure?

The mens game had nearly 100 years head start. Male bigwigs have also held the womens game back at numerous times through history stretching back to actually banning it after the first world war. Would it really hurt to help it grow for a change? Like everything else it's perfectly avoidable if you want it to be. I manage to when i want to.

Fair comment although anyone who watches football of either gender is fully aware of the womens game and is perfectly able to go watch but in the main haven't chosen to do so. The fact is that despite being in competition with massive clubs all around it, the likes of Accrington Stanley gets average  gates the cream of the English womens game can only dream of, and without any media exposure whatsoever and that is because of an inherent ,love of the club gained through generations rather than artificially foisted upon anyone.There is no doubt though that for one off matches the crowds will come particularly with attractive ticketing and in Europe some gates have been eye watering. Perhaps that is the way forwards; to so undercut any alternative football "fix" that people increasingly disillusioned with spiralling costs in the professional mens game will look again at the womens version. I'm not convinced that will happen because of the improving quality of the non league, but if the game is allowed to develop without the hype and rush that cynics like me tend to push against then there is no reason why it can't find itself at a level where it is respected by everyone.

For me,  the simple fact is that I watch and admire certain women's sport -  track and field, tennis , and weightlifting for example. Nobody pretends that they are comparable to the men in terms of times, weight or distance but if you ignored the gender, they all operate the same as the men Boxing and UFC is a way behind because of the lack of power and relative newness of the sport to women but they are improving rapidly. I very much doubt that in one of these sports could a 14 year old boy beat the best women.Currently, that isn't the case with football (or rugby) and I think that for as long as that exists womens football has a way to go that all the advertising and exposure in the world can't overcome.

9 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's a nonsense. Sports people are like pop stars who are paid based upon the money they bring in. It's entertainment and not like a normal job that requires a standard set of skills.

A busker can't demand to be paid as much as Bruce Springsteen because he stands up and plays the guitar and sings. Bruce Springsteen plays every gig to thousands; the busker to passers by.

Male models earn a fraction of the money that female models get because they have much less effect on sales.  Though I'm sure they put as much effort into keeping fit and looking good.

It's not how hard you work or how good you are in these roles: it's how much money you bring in that dictates your pay.

In the states the game is more even in popularity and the womens team have been on the whole a lot more successful. 

Bristol sport having city ladies is a pr stunt imo. I dont believe the hierarchy give a damn about it, as it doesn't make any money at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

In the states the game is more even in popularity and the womens team have been on the whole a lot more successful. 

Bristol sport having city ladies is a pr stunt imo. I dont believe the hierarchy give a damn about it, as it doesn't make any money at the moment. 

You talking about playing or watching ?

No offence but the women's league average less than the Gas.

More even but not even close.

Bang on about PR though and like the men it won't make any money !

1 minute ago, When the river runs said:

In that case: equal pay.

Similarly I think it's correct that there is equal pay at Wimbledon because it's a combined tournament.  Arguments such as men shuld be paid more for playing best of five sets are fatuous IMO because it is not about effort expended it is about tickets sold.  Personally I find the women's game much more watchable as points are won by skill and speed whereas so many men's points are won or lost by big serves.

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I actually feel the women's clubs should stick with their own names and brand their teams separately.  For me, Bristol City FC is a male football team, not sexist of course, just the way it has always been.

I thought it was a good idea when the woman's team was called Bristol Vixens, as it was their separate team, with their own identity.

I don't get why the women's clubs merely want to be imitations of the male clubs that already exist.

I preferred it when the Bristol women's team was the Bristol Academy; receiving sponsorship at different times from both City and Rovers but an independent organisation.  Mind I think the same about Bristol Rugby and the Basketball team and whoever else is under the Bristol Sport umbrella because I dislike the concept of pushing unrelated teams into a single grouping.

Archived