IGNORED

Separate women's football forum?

Eddie Hitler

Personally I’ve not watched much women’s football before but will watch and am looking forward to the World Cup. If it weren’t for the increased media attention I’d probably have let it past me by. It’s also made me take more interest in who the players are for the City women’s team and I know I’ll keep an eye on how they do next season. All this “shoving down our throats” does gain new fans for the women’s game. There are some people who are just never gonna be converted and just find it annoying, but there are also plenty of people who are more likely to watch because of the sense of occasion generated by all the media build up. My belief is that the women’s game is only gonna grow in popularity and those who don’t see its value will be left in the past

15 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I actually feel the women's clubs should stick with their own names and brand their teams separately.  For me, Bristol City FC is a male football team, not sexist of course, just the way it has always been.

I thought it was a good idea when the woman's team was called Bristol Vixens, as it was their separate team, with their own identity.

I don't get why the women's clubs merely want to be imitations of the male clubs that already exist.

Not totally related, but in rugby most of the teams latched onto existing mens clubs but integrated very well and in my personal experience at Combination level, maintain the traditions of the game far better than the juice drinking gym rats found at even the lowest levels of the mens version so have a distinct identity.

Being associated with a professional football club is very attractive and most other womens teams are. Bearing in mind Mr Lansdown is funding it, I see why the team is Bristol City.

1 minute ago, RedFencing said:

Don't think they need a separate forum. 

Thought a way of stopping all threads about them from decending into "not as good as the mens game" arguments would be useful ?

That is a way of doing it!  Hence my suggestion.

Now I want someone to suggest a way to stop certain threads descending into multiple and increasingly lame pun-fests.  Especially any that even vaguely reference fish.

2 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I do feel sorry for the keepers in women's football. After all, a standard goal is 8 feet high. Not too much much of a problem if you're a 6 foot 5 bloke, but the average lady would stand no chance of stopping a shot hit into the top corner. 

Perhaps the fairer sex should have smaller goals, or would that be considered sexist? 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/22/chelsea-women-manager-emma-hayes-urges-goals-made-smaller-womens-game-9640291/

• Admin

Personally have no interest in women’s football, if they want a bit of originality and set up their own forum, I’m sure they’ll find a company to host it and people to run it.

I don’t think it does women's sport any favours piggy backing onto the mans game, I find the women’s ashes in cricket an odd idea, there is only one ashes, why not be original and think of their own trophy that would in time, give them some identity and history.  

There was a women footballer on R5 a couple of weeks ago and she was hinting at a movement for equal pay - how are they going to do that when the men don’t get equal pay, the range in some teams is pretty wide.  I’m sure I heard a Labour female MP pushing for equal payment in FA cup games as well, so one branch of the game would be subsiding another and outside of the Premier League there aren’t any men’s teams covering their own costs, let alone subsidising the women’s cup.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Now I want someone to suggest a way to stop certain threads descending into multiple and increasingly lame pun-fests.  Especially any that even vaguely reference fish.

So Eddie, you’re suggesting that fish pun threads are given a plaice of their own?

The bottom line for me is that this is a football forum. Threads on the women’s game belong here as much as threads on the CL final, threads on Bristol Manor Farm  and threads on Bath City - all of which we’ve had in the past and have nothing to do with the men’s team at BCFC.

Moving it to another forum solves nothing - Robbored hates speculation but trolls the transfer forum relentlessly. If idiots want to derail threads they will irrespective.

For me, it’s on all of us. Same as if you have no interest in a thread on Marlon Pack moving house, what Tommy Black is doing these days and a random incident in the African CL. Don’t comment. It’s a special kind of person to get bothered about other people discussing something they have no interest in when they’re not forced to be in the conversation. But it’s football chat so should be here!

(NB fully agree with points re equal pay and equal representation being nonsense where income generation is what it is and history nowhere near as established. This for me - and I have always stated the women’s game is a good thing - is about forum etiquette- no more, no less)

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The bottom line for me is that this is a football forum. Threads on the women’s game belong here as much as threads on the CL final, threads on Bristol Manor Farm  and threads on Bath City - all of which we’ve had in the past and have nothing to do with the men’s team at BCFC.

Moving it to another forum solves nothing - Robbored hates speculation but trolls the transfer forum relentlessly. If idiots want to derail threads they will irrespective.

For me, it’s on all of us. Same as if you have no interest in a thread on Marlon Pack moving house, what Tommy Black is doing these days and a random incident in the African CL. Don’t comment. It’s a special kind of person to get bothered about other people discussing something they have no interest in when they’re not forced to be in the conversation. But it’s football chat so should be here!

(NB fully agree with points re equal pay and equal representation being nonsense where income generation is what it is and history nowhere near as established. This for me - and I have always stated the women’s game is a good thing - is about forum etiquette- no more, no less)

I mostly agree but the difference is that people, and I include myself in this, do not turn threads about Bristol Manor Farm or Bath City into wide ranging yet repetitive discussions about how non-league football is brilliant or terrible or brilliant and so on.

I am partly coming at this from the point of view that I am not interested but also partly from the angle that the threads about a particular achievement in the women's game get swamped by the same set of posts.

I was moved to do this by a thread about Sophie where I nearly posted something negative but stopped myself thinking: hold on, this is probably a good achievement that I shouldn't diminish purely because I object to the thread being there in the first place.

So... having admitted to my motivation for starting this thread I stand by a basic part of it:

That having women's football threads in the main football forum is actually damaging to women's football.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I mostly agree but the difference is that people, and I include myself in this, do not turn threads about Bristol Manor Farm or Bath City into wide ranging yet repetitive discussions about how non-league football is brilliant or terrible or brilliant and so on.

I am partly coming at this from the point of view that I am not interested but also partly from the angle that the threads about a particular achievement in the women's game get swamped by the same set of posts.

I was moved to do this by a thread about Sophie where I nearly posted something negative but stopped myself thinking: hold on, this is probably a good achievement that I shouldn't diminish purely because I object to the thread being there in the first place.

So... having admitted to my motivation for starting this thread I stand by a basic part of it:

That having women's football threads in the main football forum is actually damaging to women's football.

I agree that the part in bold is the problem, but I come back to wherever the thread was (and our resident troll has proved this), if people want to interject then they will. Pinning a WWC thread or a secondary forum won’t change that. It’s the people who have the issue, not the content.

Parallell here - you’re at AG, in the fanzone. They put a falafel stand there. It’s not burgers, fish and chips, pizza or any other normal accepted pre match food. But it’s pre match food. Do you stand in front of the falafel stand arguing that even though it’s food, and it’s not offensive, you don’t care about it or think it’s any good - or do you say “meh, not for me” and get a burger leaving people to enjoy their falafel.

For people who don’t care about it - get the proverbial burger...

(again, I do really get where you’re coming from and understand the problem you’re trying to solve. But I think moving something because people can’t help but comment even though they so say don’t care when it belongs in this forum is a real slippery slope)

16 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Boom.

This.

No offence intended sincerely.

I usually agree with Ed on footballing matters, but I don't here as I think it would be a bit divisive and also create extra work for Tom and the admins.

If you have no interest in women's football, fair enough, don't click on the very occasional thread that is posted here.

I never click on any game prediction threads as I'm superstitious enough to think I'd jinx us if I predict a win.

It's usually obvious which threads are about women's football, so just ignore them. Easy enough, isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I usually agree with Ed on footballing matters, but I don't here as I think it would be a bit divisive and also create extra work for Tom and the admins.

If you have no interest in women's football, fair enough, don't click on the very occasional thread that is posted here.

I never click on any game prediction threads as I'm superstitious enough to think I'd jinx us if I predict a win.

It's usually obvious which threads are about women's football, so just ignore them. Easy enough, isn't it?

Pretty much how I feel. 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Worryingly sensible that.  Trouble is if you are a complete sexist you can't help yourself...

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Oh come on Robbo, we know they all live in a big house like The Monkees and if they weren't moving threads they'd just be riding around on motorbikes.

1142-davy-mike-peter.jpg

I see that the Aussies are writing to FIFA claiming chauvinism, due to the disparity in World Cup prize money between the mens tournament and the womens. I will probably watch a bit of the forthcoming competition.............but honestly there is no comparison between the two occasions, which might well be reflected in the size of the global audience and generated revenues.  Billions vs Millions.?  The womens game is growing, but they are not yet comparable to the Real World Cup, in spectacle, entertainment and finance. Thats why the disparity exists.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Oh come on Robbo, we know they all live in a big house like The Monkees and if they weren't moving threads they'd just be riding around on motorbikes.

1142-davy-mike-peter.jpg

Blimey I wouldn’t be seen dead on one of them, I must be out of the picture on one of my Harley’s or Triumphs.... ?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I see that the Aussies are writing to FIFA claiming chauvinism, due to the disparity in World Cup prize money between the mens tournament and the womens. I will probably watch a bit of the forthcoming competition.............but honestly there is no comparison between the two occasions, which might well be reflected in the size of the global audience and generated revenues.  Billions vs Millions.?  The womens game is growing, but they are not yet comparable to the Real World Cup, in spectacle, entertainment and finance. Thats why the disparity exists.

Australian Womens Football (W-League) is free-to-air on SBS (the ultimate left-wing unicorn channel) live at 3pm Saturday afternoon.

It's terrible.

I remember sitting through 30 mins of a game where the ball was in one half as literally nobody from one team could kick it hard enough against a moderate wind to clear the halfway line. The crowd was less than 300.

The A-League (mens) is non-league, bottom L2 at best, and the W-League genuinely is downs team level.

To be clear - this is not their fault - there has been little to no investment in womens football up until 8-10 yrs ago. It's not even semi-pro. They are coming from a long way back - having it on TV just reinforces that fact.

To be paid the same as Ronaldo et al at the WC , and live on TV really is too much too soon for a game that most people walking their dog by it would ignore.

Of course there should be Womens football, but the product, at least here in Australia is not at a level anywhere near high enough to demand any remuneration outside of expenses incurred let alone the same as the World Cup Prize Money.

Which can be said for 90% of the teams involved in the WWC.

Let the game grow, give it support in the form of professional coaches, fitness staff, paid leave from their day jobs etc and get the standard up before making ludicrous attempts to get the same prizemoney as Mens football which has been evolving for 150 yrs.

These things take time (sounds familiar...)

2p

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Think the issue is more for people that DO care about women's football having a space to debate and discuss it free from the ******* stupid remarks of the usual suspects. Broadly I ignore these topics because I don't watch the sport, but the lemons that want to make snide, misogynistic remarks will still make them.

Not being funny as I have no idea how OTIB is run, and I massively appreciate what Tom and all the other admins do to keep the forum running, but how hard would it be to have a Bristol City Women sub-forum?

8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

It's almost a catch 22 situation though.

Whilst the standard (and even the viewing figures) at present probably doesn't merit the amount it gets...Without the exposure it will never improve. Like most things it comes down to money - money mostly comes from advertising revenue and Tv. Why wouldnt tv or advertising companies that have paid for it not try to give it exposure?

The mens game had nearly 100 years head start. Male bigwigs have also held the womens game back at numerous times through history stretching back to actually banning it after the first world war. Would it really hurt to help it grow for a change? Like everything else it's perfectly avoidable if you want it to be. I manage to when i want to.

This deserves a lot more likes than it currently has.

how many OTIB members, or for that matter any of the 20k who turn up most weeks  for our home games could name a single BCFC woman  player. I am only guessing here but perhaps 1%.  I base that on speaking with City  watching mates and none knew any, or were , or are, remotely bothered. 

If ladies want to play football, great and good luck.  If friends and families of those ladies want to watch, great and good luck. And if a few people are interested and want to watch, good luck  & enjoy.

Football is our national sport, a mans game watched by millions . Woman’s football is not, a minority sport like woman’s cricket, woman’s rugby, 

there are many other minority sports you can find on web, air gun shooting, archery , fencing, and woman’s football should be in same category not forced down our throats at local and national level to appease the PC brigade 

7 hours ago, Riaz said:

Who is the sexist ?

Dunno.  Just that everytime there's any thread about women's football a number of posters just come out with the same old bollocks.  It has the effect of drowning out any kind of discussion, normally with a tone of 'we're having it shoved down our throats' which clearly isn't true but we have become veery good at turning mild irritation into persecution complex in this country.

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Dunno.  Just that everytime there's any thread about women's football a number of posters just come out with the same old bollocks.  It has the effect of drowning out any kind of discussion, normally with a tone of 'we're having it shoved down our throats' which clearly isn't true but we have become veery good at turning mild irritation into persecution complex in this country.

Well this is thread about having a seperate forum. So its definetely on topic. I dont usually comment on the womens team discussion.

But it defintely is being shoved down our throats at the moment. I keep seeing about the womens game everywhere at the moment. BBC Sport page, City Official website etc

Its not a big deal and i will usually ignore it and let people carry on. We are all into different things. But when the suggestion came up about a seperate forum, i thought it was a good idea.

Very easy, but unfair to call everyone who dont like the womens game sexist, but its okay not to like the womens game. I find it boring.  Cant call me a sexist tho, i'll watch womens boxing and other womens sport. Just that the football isnt for me.

But maybe if one of my daughters become a footballer (2 of them love it) that might change ?

Keep it on the main forum.

Whether it’s youngsters, disabled teams, or Bristol City Women FC, they are all representing this great club. And the more exposure they get the better.

The way discussion of the women’s game regularly descends into sexism is embarrassing to be honest. You don’t have to actively support them but they are part of our Club.

7 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think the issue is more for people that DO care about women's football having a space to debate and discuss it free from the ******* stupid remarks of the usual suspects. Broadly I ignore these topics because I don't watch the sport, but the lemons that want to make snide, misogynistic remarks will still make them.

Not being funny as I have no idea how OTIB is run, and I massively appreciate what Tom and all the other admins do to keep the forum running, but how hard would it be to have a Bristol City Women sub-forum?

Not hard I guess ZE, but it might be a chore for something that isn't used much.

I must admit I have never watched a woman's game live, but I'll probably follow the odd England game in the World Cup.

I do know what you and Ed mean about the constant lame discussion about women's football v men's football.  Surely a topic that has been done to death now.

Archived