IGNORED

Separate women's football forum?

Eddie Hitler

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Well this is thread about having a seperate forum. So its definetely on topic. I dont usually comment on the womens team discussion.

But it defintely is being shoved down our throats at the moment. I keep seeing about the womens game everywhere at the moment. BBC Sport page, City Official website etc

Its not a big deal and i will usually ignore it and let people carry on. We are all into different things. But when the suggestion came up about a seperate forum, i thought it was a good idea.

Very easy, but unfair to call everyone who dont like the womens game sexist, but its okay not to like the womens game. I find it boring.  Cant call me a sexist tho, i'll watch womens boxing and other womens sport. Just that the football isnt for me.

But maybe if one of my daughters become a footballer (2 of them love it) that might change ?

The BBC are very enthusiastic about promoting equality and why they’re bigging up the WWC. They also have the rights of course...............:cool2:

I’ll watch the England matches because it’s football and like plenty of others I get withdrawal symptoms during the off season and the WWC will ease them significantly.

I would ask tho - do we really need another sub forum?

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The BBC are very enthusiastic about promoting equality and why they’re bigging up the WWC. They also have the rights of course...............:cool2:

I’ll watch the England matches because it’s football and like plenty of others I get withdrawal symptoms during the off season and the WWC will ease them significantly.

I would ask tho - do we really need another sub forum?

There's only effectively one sub forum for most people and that's Transfers.

I have literally had to look to see what the two others were - Prediction League and Old Match day threads, to save anyone else from having to look them up - neither of which I have ever opened and I suspect that's the same for most people.

They fulfill a purpose but they don't detract from the main forum.

12 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I mostly agree but the difference is that people, and I include myself in this, do not turn threads about Bristol Manor Farm or Bath City into wide ranging yet repetitive discussions about how non-league football is brilliant or terrible or brilliant and so on.

I am partly coming at this from the point of view that I am not interested but also partly from the angle that the threads about a particular achievement in the women's game get swamped by the same set of posts.

I was moved to do this by a thread about Sophie where I nearly posted something negative but stopped myself thinking: hold on, this is probably a good achievement that I shouldn't diminish purely because I object to the thread being there in the first place.

So... having admitted to my motivation for starting this thread I stand by a basic part of it:

That having women's football threads in the main football forum is actually damaging to women's football.

Or maybe, just maybe, the people that feel the need to lower the standards on threads about women's football need to join the 21st century. It's a football chat, not a City chat.  We have this debate every so often about whether or not there should be a separate forum for non-City related football and it continuously stays as it is.  Until that time, the womens game should have a place in this forum.  Especially over some of the guff posted here.

If people don't feel they can refrain from sexism then that says far more about them than about the womens game.

18 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If thats how you feel then feel free to say so. I don't know about your views, but the ones I see seem based on games from the past or 10 minutes here and there, rather on 90 minutes of current action. Of course there are poor games, teams and players, but that is true of the mens game too. As others have said, it is a different type of game anyway. 

Don't see why people just can't ignore it? I couldn't give two shits about athletics but I don't go around popping up at everything to do with the Olympics pointing out that its shit I believe that it's just not being a nause. 

What defines women's football as not good enough? Is it that they aren't as good as the men? Does that mean our team is not good enough as they'd get battered by the Bristol Rugby first team in a rugby game? It's a different sport. 

Its as if people forget that mens football can be complete shite as well, take the CL final, the pinnacle of World football, and it was a god awful game, bar maybe the bottom 4-5 teams, any prem side could have won that game if they turned up as both Liverpool and Spurs were dismal. 

I'm not over ly interested in Women's football but I will dip in and out of the WWC when not watching the cricket. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Or maybe, just maybe, the people that feel the need to lower the standards on threads about women's football need to join the 21st century. It's a football chat, not a City chat.  We have this debate every so often about whether or not there should be a separate forum for non-City related football and it continuously stays as it is.  Until that time, the womens game should have a place in this forum.  Especially over some of the guff posted here.

If people don't feel they can refrain from sexism then that says far more about them than about the womens game.

I wont derail any topic that i'm not interested in. I will simply ignore it, its not a big deal.

But i dont see it as the same. Its defintely not.

45 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Don't see why people just can't ignore it? I couldn't give two shits about athletics but I don't go around popping up at everything to do with the Olympics pointing out that its shit I believe that it's just not being a nause. 

What defines women's football as not good enough? Is it that they aren't as good as the men? Does that mean our team is not good enough as they'd get battered by the Bristol Rugby first team in a rugby game? It's a different sport. 

Its as if people forget that mens football can be complete shite as well, take the CL final, the pinnacle of World football, and it was a god awful game, bar maybe the bottom 4-5 teams, any prem side could have won that game if they turned up as both Liverpool and Spurs were dismal. 

I'm not over ly interested in Women's football but I will dip in and out of the WWC when not watching the cricket. 

If a topic pops up about which you have an opinion then I expect that you will comment upon it.

I used the example of Formula 1 because this takes out the accusations of sexism that are thrown about with regard to women's football.

Formula 1 divides people into a small minority who love it, an uninterested majority, and a small minority who despise it because of the prevalence of coverage of something that they regard as a dull minority sport.  When you get Formula 1 threads there are always people in the last category popping up to say how rubbish it is (pointless procession, the best cars win not the drivers, no excitemnet these days).

The point is not about the merits or otherwise of Formula 1 and women's football.  It is that both get disproportionate levels of coverage compared to their actual popularity, this gets people's backs up, and when the opportunity to express their annoyance occurs they will do so.

If however you are not seeing those threads because they reside in a forum that you don't browse - General Sport for Formula 1 (I presume there is such a forum here, haven't looked) or Women's Football for, um, women's football - then people are unlikely to deliberately visit a forum in which they have no interest and the discussions can be about the specifics of women's football - results, leagues, players - rather than about its generality and specifically how much less good it is than men's football.

My view on both Formula 1 and women's football is the same: I have no interest and I dislike repeatedly being informed about it but each gives a lot of pleasure to their players and supporters which is good. 

The constant unwanted coverage becomes like that dull person at work who you desperately avoid because otherwise they will spend twenty minutes boring you rigid about their kids, pets, DIY whatever. (Hopefully I'm not that person...)

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If a topic pops up about which you have an opinion then I expect that you will comment upon it.

I used the example of Formula 1 because this takes out the accusations of sexism that are thrown about with regard to women's football.

Formula 1 divides people into a small minority who love it, an uninterested majority, and a small minority who despise it because of the prevalence of coverage of something that they regard as a dull minority sport.  When you get Formula 1 threads there are always people in the last category popping up to say how rubbish it is (pointless procession, the best cars win not the drivers, no excitemnet these days).

The point is not about the merits or otherwise of Formula 1 and women's football.  It is that both get disproportionate levels of coverage compared to their actual popularity, this gets people's backs up, and when the opportunity to express their annoyance occurs they will do so.

If however you are not seeing those threads because they reside in a forum that you don't browse - General Sport for Formula 1 (I presume there is such a forum here, haven't looked) or Women's Football for, um, women's football - then people are unlikely to deliberately visit a forum in which they have no interest and the discussions can be about the specifics of women's football - results, leagues, players - rather than about its generality and specifically how much less good it is than men's football.

My view on both Formula 1 and women's football is the same: I have no interest and I dislike repeatedly being informed about it but each gives a lot of pleasure to their players and supporters which is good. 

The constant unwanted coverage becomes like that dull person at work who you desperately avoid because otherwise they will spend twenty minutes boring you rigid about their kids, pets, DIY whatever. (Hopefully I'm not that person...)

So people won't go in a sub forum about women's football to express their opinion, but they simply cannot resist deliberately clicking on a topic that is clearly about something that they are not interested in and putting forth their opinion? 

Are you tied in a dentists chair with your eyes pinned open and forced to watch sky f1 and news articles about women's football? As I would say I'm more interested than most in the women's world Cup but would you like to guess how much media coverage I have been subjected to? Precisely sod all, as I just ignore written news about stuff I don't care about, and if something comes on the news or TV I just ignore it. 

Thinking it gets disproportionate coverage is a fair opinion, and although I'm not sure I agree I would certainly agree that they way certain coverage is framed as if its on equal footing with the men's game is a problem, but acting as if it cannot be escaped is just retarded. 

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Don’t need a separate forum. This is a football forum and women’s football is football.

The idiots who make stupid comments that don’t add to anything should keep their views to themselves. 

Should but don't and won't.

Things are as they are rather than how you wish them to be.

I am suggesting that some realpolitik be applied here.

purely from an admin point of view ie finding threads and discussions about BCFC Women or internationals etc., I think having a separate women's sub forum is a good idea. It would certainly aid those who aren't familiar with OTIB to find their preferred section.

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

purely from an admin point of view ie finding threads and discussions about BCFC Women or internationals etc., I think having a separate women's sub forum is a good idea. It would certainly aid those who aren't familiar with OTIB to find their preferred section.

But then how will new posters learn the time honoured OTIB tradition of taking the time to read a thread only just so you can post that you are not interested in the subject ?

I wouldn't want a sub forum because I'm not really interested enough to go looking through a sub forum, but I am interested enough in that when a snippet of news comes up I am quite happy to read it.

I haven't ever watched a game, but merely because of the Bristol City connection I do keep an eye on their results and league placing.

It's exactly the same for Rugby with me.

23 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I actually feel the women's clubs should stick with their own names and brand their teams separately.  For me, Bristol City FC is a male football team, not sexist of course, just the way it has always been.

I thought it was a good idea when the woman's team was called Bristol Vixens, as it was their separate team, with their own identity.

I don't get why the women's clubs merely want to be imitations of the male clubs that already exist.

Because by linking to a much better resourced club the women's game will hopefully grow.

23 hours ago, When the river runs said:

In the states the game is more even in popularity and the womens team have been on the whole a lot more successful. 

Bristol sport having city ladies is a pr stunt imo. I dont believe the hierarchy give a damn about it, as it doesn't make any money at the moment. 

Bristol City as a club doesn't make any money at the moment (well profit)! I doubt Bristol rugby do either, so perhaps SL is being genuine when he wants all sports are being promoted under his watch, regardless of profitability?

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Brilliant, she's put everything down in a concise journalistic way that I've always thought about the WWC but could never state so eloquently.

The only irony is ,I agree with "these men" and NOT her and her right-on mates !

On 06/06/2019 at 17:50, richwwtk said:

I wouldn't want a sub forum because I'm not really interested enough to go looking through a sub forum, but I am interested enough in that when a snippet of news comes up I am quite happy to read it.

I haven't ever watched a game, but merely because of the Bristol City connection I do keep an eye on their results and league placing.

It's exactly the same for Rugby with me.

This is where I am, but I started a thread for Bristol City women’s team in December, to see if it would keep running, for those of us with the wish just to keep up with their news. It kept going for a couple of months but became dormant in February. I didn’t bump it to keep it going.

Basically threads need to stay on Page 1 to keep interest going. I think a sub forum would be OTT. However, a pinned thread would be an alternative. Pinned threads seem very little used, but I can see that too many would become a barrier in some ways.

Archived