IGNORED

Brian Tinnion extended interview

Shtanley

That was a great listen @Shtanley and I look forward to the next special. One thing that I asked you in the early days was how many listeners you had and I believe you commented that you'd respond when you published a dozen or so episodes. Now that it's got a decent listener-base, any idea how many listens the average episodes get? 

Apologies if it's confidential - I'm more intrigued than anything! 

21 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Would love to hear thoughts on it, also who you'd like me to chat to next!

I am sure you would like someone to recommend chatting to the Goat so you can use that OSIBlings income on a trip to Bermuda. :) 

It's lovely there and he is surprisingly easy to find if you go. :) 

meeting the goat.jpg

Really enjoyed that, excellent and we'll thought through series of questions and Tinman was very frank with his answers.

The bit about Benny was the highlight for me as I honestly don't think those stories have ever surfaced before, certainly not to my knowledge, so a bit of an exclusive. Clearly he was trying to apply his strategy to individual groups in the team, as the Director of Football would do, but lacked any of the hands on coaching and man management Ward was supposed to provide in tandem.

Was interesting to hear what that translated into for the players, as never heard that perspective before, about arguably one of the most divisive managers pre-LJ - and by that I mean divisive in the sense he had both supporters and critics, some thought Benny was useless, some thought he was way ahead of his time, and given time would succeeed. Interesting to hear Tinnion's view.

Conversely I think Tinnion diplomatically side stepped the Pulis era, probably given the fact the guy is still around - yes he said it was well disciplined and all about fitness and drills, but I recall Tinnion saying a Iot more critical stuff about Pulis in the EP after Pulis left, about how he'd ripped the life out of the club. Was hoping to hear that sort of slander, but he was very professional!

21 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Would love to hear thoughts on it, also who you'd like me to chat to next!

As I said in the FB group, of the current crop of players I think Korey Smith would be the most interesting. No idea if the club would let current players anywhere near OSIB but Smith won't be doing much for the next few months so maybe, just maybe he'd be allowed to answer a few little questions? 

Otherwise I agree that Gary Johnson or Cotterill would be interesting to hear from.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure you would like someone to recommend chatting to the Goat so you can use that OSIBlings income on a trip to Bermuda. :) 

Not to piss on the Bermuda trip idea but Goater is in the UK a lot for media and Man City work - my mate sat next to him on a train couple of weeks ago and chatted about City - he loves to talk about it and is easy to contact on Twitter.

Co-sign the various suggestions of Steve Cotterill. That would be fascinating - the podcast could be a first actual #JobForCotts.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

Not to piss on the Bermuda trip idea but Goater is in the UK a lot for media and Man City work - my mate sat next to him on a train couple of weeks ago and chatted about City - he loves to talk about it and is easy to contact on Twitter.

Co-sign the various suggestions of Steve Cotterill. That would be fascinating - the podcast could be a first actual #JobForCotts.

You're no fun Rob, surely the "supporter of the year" deserves a better prize than a day on the train to Manchester? :) 

58 minutes ago, Olé said:

Really enjoyed that, excellent and we'll thought through series of questions and Tinman was very frank with his answers.

The bit about Benny was the highlight for me as I honestly don't think those stories have ever surfaced before, certainly not to my knowledge, so a bit of an exclusive. Clearly he was trying to apply his strategy to individual groups in the team, as the Director of Football would do, but lacked any of the hands on coaching and man management Ward was supposed to provide in tandem.

Was interesting to hear what that translated into for the players, as never heard that perspective before, about arguably one of the most divisive managers pre-LJ - and by that I mean divisive in the sense he had both supporters and critics, some thought Benny was useless, some thought he was way ahead of his time, and given time would succeeed. Interesting to hear Tinnion's view.

Conversely I think Tinnion diplomatically side stepped the Pulis era, probably given the fact the guy is still around - yes he said it was well disciplined and all about fitness and drills, but I recall Tinnion saying a Iot more critical stuff about Pulis in the EP after Pulis left, about how he'd ripped the life out of the club. Was hoping to hear that sort of slander, but he was very professional!

I would imagine he doesn't want to burn bridges just in case we plan to do business with the cretin at some point in the near future.

If the question was put to him and he wasn't in employment by the club, then he may well have given a slightly more "frank" answer.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet but intend to do so over the weekend. 

Great interview Stan, I really enjoyed it. I’ve heard similar with him before but nowhere near as long so this went into much more detail. Was perfect for my two hour commute yesterday, just gutted it Half hour longer!

A few suggestions for the next one -

Cotterall

Johnson (Gary or Lee)

Wilson

Basso

Trundle

Goater

Rosenior (Both would be interesting, although not sure if Liam's commitment to sky would stand in the way)

Scotty

Carey

Trundle

Marv

To name a few!

Even if just a few questions from each, an episode with a few highly regarded ex players would be amazing! 

Cotts would be top of the list for me though.

On 06/06/2019 at 12:49, ZiderEyed said:

Honestly think if Benny hadn't inherited a basket case squad/club he could've ended up doing a hell of a lot better than he eventually did.

I'm not so sure. From memory the team he put out against Wolves had Akinbiyi, Soren Anderson, Goodridge and Thorpe up top, Scott Murray right back. Tinnion and Hutchings our only midfield. Absolute clueless tactically there.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not so sure. From memory the team he put out against Wolves had Akinbiyi, Soren Anderson, Goodridge and Thorpe up top, Scott Murray right back. Tinnion and Hutchings our only midfield. Absolute clueless tactically there.

I spoke to Carl Hutchings a few times during the Benny period. He said he felt like a headless chicken...not knowing what to do and that the game seemed so much faster. 

Funnily it was one of my favourite seasons to watch. It was a back to the wall feeling. Everyone I knew wanted Benny to do well...we realised he'd been stitched up.

We had some good players too like you say...we just couldn't gel and play as a team.

Listened to the interview this morning...what a cracking interview. Really easy listening and good questions and conversation.

I liked what BT had to say...and again reiterated how important the DNA or right attitude of a player however young is so important to do well...as he said, if not, you're released.

What we are doing under BT with the kids playing men's football earlier, with the right attitude, is why we are now seeing young players coming through.

Thanks Stanley...enjoyed it.

I'd like to hear an interview with Joe Jordan, his time here etc.

Another...Lee Peacock...think you'll find a lot out about our drinking culture back then.

Paul Cheesley...his time and what he thinks of it now.

Thought those three might be attainable, more so than others.

I loved listening to the interview which I thought was really well hosted, allowing Tinns to relax and offer great insight so congratulations Stan and thank you. I've sent the link to both of my boys who now live overseas and I know that they'll enjoy it too.

BT spoke very diplomatically about the Pulis era but it's evident that the players enjoyed his time in office every bit as much as we did! God help the supporters of the club he next manages.

That was a really good listen.  Thanks.

My suggestion would be Terry Cooper - hed have lots to say (Leeds in the 70s, England etc even before managing City at its lowest ebb - which involved more than just coaching and picking the team).

I don’t think younger fans necessarily realise how much we have to thank him for even now.  He took a club absolutely on its knees, kept it going and set it on the right course up the league.  

Really good listen and great insights from the great man.

Nice mention for a certain Spanish club that are close to my heart too. Seen him on the plane a couple of times both during his time in Spain and since he's been back here.

Very much looking forward to the next one, keep up the good work @Shtanley, I'll even try and listen after a defeat next season ?

21 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Really good listen and great insights from the great man.

Nice mention for a certain Spanish club that are close to my heart too. Seen him on the plane a couple of times both during his time in Spain and since he's been back here.

Very much looking forward to the next one, keep up the good work @Shtanley, I'll even try and listen after a defeat next season ?

Haha, I don’t like listening after a defeat either!

Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Just gotta try to find a way to get in touch. Hopefully got ones with Jonathan Pearce and Tony Robinson sorted for the next month or two.

Really would like Carey, Murray and Gary Johnson. Trying to get in touch with them atm.

If any of you know a way to get in touch with some of the suggestions people have made then let me know.

Cotterill has a linkedin for example but I can't see his business email nor who his agent is.

Great interview, really enjoyed it and the long format.  Felt like I was listening in on a conversation at a coffee shop just  that this conversation was something that I was really interested in and from about the time I really enjoyed following and watching city 

11 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Just gotta try to find a way to get in touch. Hopefully got ones with Jonathan Pearce and Tony Robinson sorted for the next month or two.

Really would like Carey, Murray and Gary Johnson. Trying to get in touch with them atm.

If any of you know a way to get in touch with some of the suggestions people have made then let me know.

Cotterill has a linkedin for example but I can't see his business email nor who his agent is.

I’ve got a mate whose good friends with a bunch of players from the Wilson era. Will try and put him in touch with you, see if he can help. 

Archived