IGNORED

England Fans clash

Blazeyrobins

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looks like double embarrassment for England fans in Porto this evening.

First they start launching drinks at the locals in front of them who are celebrating Portugal's opening goal.

Then the police show up and they shit themselves and leg it.

Quite pathetic. 

Trust me, when the Portuguese police turn up in baton-swinging mood, shit yourself and leg it is the appropriate response.

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looks like double embarrassment for England fans in Porto this evening.

First they start launching drinks at the locals in front of them who are celebrating Portugal's opening goal.

Then the police show up and they shit themselves and leg it.

Quite pathetic. 

Demographics of fans changed old boy.

Been like that for over 30 years i'd say.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Blazeyrobins said:

Another thing to remember there are 12000 with tickets for tomorrow and even more for Sunday. You're talking about less than 1% of our support. But as usual the press will jump all over it. Except places like Blackpool get these kind of shenanigans on a weekly basis 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Another thing to remember there are 12000 with tickets for tomorrow and even more for Sunday. You're talking about less than 1% of our support. But as usual the press will jump all over it. Except places like Blackpool get these kind of shenanigans on a weekly basis 

You're not wrong there. Blackpool is full of nob heads too! Would take issue with the 1% thing though. I've been to England away games and would say that about 33% are pretty much as described above. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Ironic this is on the back of the fa new scheme to try to calm this sort of thing 

The FA can only control who gets tickets through our official allocation - and for most away games (qualifiers, friendlies) it’s generally only the members, who are vetted before being allowed into the supporters club, who get tickets. 

The FA can’t control who else decides to travel to a city England are playing in, or who else decided to buy tickets through UEFA for tomorrow’s game - they were still on sale through the UEFA website yesterday. 

At some recent away games in ‘easier to get to’ places (Amsterdam, Seville) there have been large groups of mostly younger blokes who’ve travelled and caused problems - I couldn’t tell you if they’re members of the supporters club (if they are, they’ll soon end up getting banned). In Volgograd, Samara and Podgorica, no such issues as it tends to be only the diehards who travel to such places. 

As for the comment above about 33% of England fans fitting this description - sorry, can’t agree with that at all. Tomorrow will be my 174th England game. To say 33% of fans behave like that is miles wide of the mark in my humble view. 

Am I the only one who can't see much in that video, apart from police with batons out and a few people running away? If there has been disorder/fighting, then they should be banned. But I'm not going to say England fans are a disgrace based on that video. We've got a hideous past, one that most of us would like to forget, but that video is hardly a flashback to the olden days. 

Going to stick my neck above the parapet here as I fully expect to be considered a stooge for Portuguese opinion, but here goes, might even surprise some people.  

On train up from Lisbon to Porto today had loads of England, 5-6 "lads" in particular,  early to mid 20s, separated as didn't have tickets together in carriage, quite loud, and... wait for it. Couldn't have been more polite. Moved about 3 times for local Portuguese passengers. Summoned up untold levels of wifi alchemy to make sure they had their tickets for the inspector. Helped old ladies with their bags in Porto. And trust me, hear them speak they were on a proper England away jolly. But very well behaved and great ambassadors.

At Porto station a lot of England songs not from those lads but other older ones.. but you get that at away games. If does scare locals but to be honest as someone who travels away, singing in train stations is a useful filter for all of us of who to avoid. It is boisterous but ultimately harmless.

Main point, for me, stigmatising England away is daft. It's the same as anything, you have all levels of behaviour, not just what the media jumps all over. Lots will find a popular bar in a town but it's no different to the average holiday in Newquay, Ibiza or Faliraki. It's nice to see people you know and have a drink with them. Judging by my Facebook feed lots of people have been all over Porto today. It's a minority that are inclined to hole up somewhere and act to locals like they're taking over.

With all this said, am not surprised that a few morons saw fit to react to Portugal scoring goals today by throwing bottles, goading locals is an age old minority sport practised by the most introverted away fans but nothing new, when Portugal lost their opener to Greece in 2004 I had a morbidly obese West Ham fan the day before the England France game follow me and wind me up, desperate to goad me into a fight about the result, thinking I was a local. I was with a load of England fans so really wasn't that bothered. Seen it so many times but it is a minority, the same lot that pick the worst bar/pub in any town on then main square and pay tourist prices all day, I don't hate them I feel sorry for them. 

Anyone else think this is down to poor planning. Pissed up Brits abroad are anti social. Especially if 90% male. No FA plan will ever change that fact, anti English cops with an attitude and a batton fetish only ever going to end up in a punch up. A fanzone with a good atmos and perhaps a buckin' bronko ride with that lass from the champions League final would probably do the trick. IMO

• Admin
8 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Odd that the media are the bad guys here for reporting on England fans behaving so childishly they get chased by police?

My point was why they still report on a handful of pissed up blokes causing a nuisance.

Like watching ANY sport, there are drunken idiots, Lords had plenty two weeks ago, Twickenham had the same last Saturday - it's just lazy journalism looking for that big headline

No focus on any of the good things our fans are doing out there !!

21 minutes ago, Super said:

Even more embarrassing when you take into account what day it is today. 

Completely agree , today is a celebration of true hero’s.

Unfortunately, I think reports of this nature will be a common theme over the next couple of hours and days.

A few WKD Blue and marching powder and the village idiots return 

Archived