Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Buckeyed

David Coles leaving

Surprised to see that David Coles is apparently leaving the club in a backroom shuffle. Always though he was highly respected as a GK coach.

Screenshot_20190607_090547.jpg

Edited by Buckeyed

Freshen things up. new eyes, new ideas? It's the Kaizen theory writ large.

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Freshen things up. new eyes, new ideas? It's the Kaizen theory writ large.

Good business/management strategy when it’s purposely implemented. Obviously staff in all professions move on thru their own choice, often to advance their careers and/or for personal reasons.

• Aubergine 1

26 minutes ago, Tyna said:

Possible job for Frankie? 

I jokingly suggested that on twitter earlier.

Being serious for a mo’, he has done his badges I believe, and maybe he could in fact be offered a part-time playing / full-time coaching contract.  We did something similar for Albie, but then let him go to Bolton.

• Aubergine 1

Disappointed to hear this. Davro has long been part of the furniture so this has come as a surprise. Plus how he has helped along Max etc.

Evening Post says similar to what happened with Beanhead and Steve Allen in that "left by mutual agreement". 

Something smells a little here.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Hes 31 not 41 , will easilly secure a decent contract ,hes a long way from a coaching role ....

I’m sure he will, but at what club and at what level, and whether first choice or not.  There are a lot of goalkeepers to go around.

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Disappointed to hear this. Davro has long been part of the furniture so this has come as a surprise. Plus how he has helped along Max etc.

Evening Post says similar to what happened with Beanhead and Steve Allen in that "left by mutual agreement". 

Something smells a little here.

I refer you to Tommy’s latest post !

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

In that case ugly business

15 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

LJ can't be sacked but he can sack people for fun without reason

13 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Yes, this things happen but the message is up your ass.

Don't be a dick Tommy, coaching jobs and the people in them change all the time. You say that the coach has done a good job with Max, how do we know that another coach wouldn't have developed even quicker? 
Why would we get rid of LJ, Ashton and Knights, they are doing what they consider to be right for the club and currently it's working well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't be a dick Tommy, coaching jobs and the people in them change all the time. You say that the coach has done a good job with Max, how do we know that another coach wouldn't have developed even quicker? 
Why would we get rid of LJ, Ashton and Knights, they are doing what they consider to be right for the club and currently it's working well.

Our Father, 
who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven.
Give us this day 
our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Good grief, all I can think of is it must be hot and sunny in Sweden, thirsty weather, as it certainly isn’t here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Our Father, 
who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven.
Give us this day 
our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

forsure.gif

• Like 1

Wonder who will come in as Goalkeeping coach now, Surely an appointment has to be announced soon? With Rhys we already had replacements last season. 

Shame to see both go. Rhys revolutionised our training and David had massive respect from our keepers 

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

why do I have a sinking feeling they'll appoint Basso in his place, seeing as we like old players on the coaching books

Close ........It's actually Steve Phillips 😉

Don’t get the problem here backroom staff change fairly regularly. He’s been here six years what else could he possibly teach Max that he hasn’t already? Sometimes it’s good to freshen things up and get a new coach for the keepers to impress and to bring new ideas/drills to training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I really fail to see the logic in this comment

1. We don't know he was sacked.  He may well be leaving for a better job or for personal reasons 

2. If he was sacked do you really think it would be for no reason?

Keep the faith, at least until first ten games of new season

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

In that case ugly business

Yes, this things happen but the message is up your ass.

oh-for-fucks-sake-who-left-the-gate-open-atthe-14525377.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The official statement has pissed me off to be fair. Both been huge servants to the club over the last 7 seasons or so but just got a generic copy and paste job for their goodbye. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The official statement has pissed me off to be fair. Both been huge servants to the club over the last 7 seasons or so but just got a generic copy and paste job for their goodbye. 

Yeah not upset by the decision but the statement was pretty lame and obviously chucked together in two minutes.

Everyone saying sacked, it was probably the end of his contract (and Rhys) and we've just decided to bring someone else in. Everyone on here says jobs for boys when we bring back people like Johnson or McAllister, but kick up a fuss about someone leaving whose been here a while without knowing details.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, hodge said:

Everyone saying sacked, it was probably the end of his contract (and Rhys) and we've just decided to bring someone else in. Everyone on here says jobs for boys when we bring back people like Johnson or McAllister, but kick up a fuss about someone leaving whose been here a while without knowing details.

Pretty sure all coaching staff (LJ aside) are on continuous 12 month rolling contracts, so would need to be terminated for them to leave 

Lots of negative reaction here. How do we know it’s not the other way round - eg he got a better offer from a bigger club?  Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

1 hour ago, Ohbasso said:

Yeah not upset by the decision but the statement was pretty lame and obviously chucked together in two minutes.

Let’s just hope it’s a quick comms, because people are on hols, and a fuller statement will come out, thanking them in a more gracious way.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Carr has his own business too.  Maybe wants to focus on that?

https://trainingground.guru/articles/carr-leaving-bristol-city-after-six-years

That’s what I thought too. Seems he is learning and also lecturing at conferences too. Clever bloke. 

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

That’s what I thought too. Seems he is learning and also lecturing at conferences too. Clever bloke. 

Could be as simple as he wants to develop that side more, and either he’s decided he can’t fit in both, or club have decided.

These things happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

David has done great with Max. Did not see this coming.

Didn't do so great with Frankie.....

• Aubergine 2

So, I am aware that our chief scout and our goalkeeping coach had some differences of opinion on whom they wanted at the club. Scout likes a particular keeper, but coach (who’d have to work with him) doesn’t. 

If we sign this player then I’ll suspect the departure is more aligned to a differing of opinions than a coach simply moving on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

So, I am aware that our chief scout and our goalkeeping coach had some differences of opinion on whom they wanted at the club. Scout likes a particular keeper, but coach (who’d have to work with him) doesn’t. 

If we sign this player then I’ll suspect the departure is more aligned to a differing of opinions than a coach simply moving on. 

Who exactly IS our chief scout......is it still Mervyn Day? Don't hear much about him lately....

David and Rhys were huge assets to the club. They’ve made a great contribution and yet Dave Barton/the club feel the cold statement on the website is sufficient? Absolute joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Who exactly IS our chief scout......is it still Mervyn Day? Don't hear much about him lately....

Correct 

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

I think he knows a thing or two about goalkeepers …… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1