IGNORED

New positions for some of our players

where's the joy

Bobby Reid's transformation from lightweight midfielder into lightening striker was a wondrous transformation.

Clive Whitehead becoming a fullback added years to his career, many years ago.

So who would benefit from a positional switch in our current squad?

If he stays could we please try O'Dowda in the middle of the park, where he has played well for Ireland? He drifts too much when on the wing 

Would Webster be even better on the right side of defence if we can find a left sided defender to partner with him, who is less accident prone than Baker?

Who would you move if you had the choice?

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Korey Smith to right back off the top of my head. Would be easily better than Jack Hunt.

A bit harsh I’d say. Some games with Korey at RB have worked out, but there’s also been a few stinkers. 

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not a thread about the Kama Sutra then ? 

Has anyone ever read this book ?

We only read these things in relation to football players in court transcripts the Daily Sport.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Diedhiou to Centre Back....brilliant on defensive corners ?

Had a few strikers like that over the years - Steve Torpey was a far better defender than he was a striker.

Just a shame we never used him as one.

17 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Had a few strikers like that over the years - Steve Torpey was a far better defender than he was a striker.

Just a shame we never used him as one.

Diedhiou is being used as a defender, just 50 yards too far ahead.

On 07/06/2019 at 09:21, where's the joy said:

Bobby Reid's transformation from lightweight midfielder into lightening striker was a wondrous transformation.

Clive Whitehead becoming a fullback added years to his career, many years ago.

So who would benefit from a positional switch in our current squad?

If he stays could we please try O'Dowda in the middle of the park, where he has played well for Ireland? He drifts too much when on the wing 

Would Webster be even better on the right side of defence if we can find a left sided defender to partner with him, who is less accident prone than Baker?

Who would you move if you had the choice?

JB No 10 role.

If we keep Matty Taylor, we should try him somewhere other than up front as for all his intelligent play and ability to irritate the opposition, the guy couldn't hit a paedo with a broomstick. I personally would be looking to move him on but perhaps try him as a CAM or even CM in preseason.

On 07/06/2019 at 09:24, Riaz said:

Korey Smith to right back off the top of my head. Would be easily better than Jack Hunt.

Korey has been immense at right back. Players just can't get round him. Best in one on ones we have, which is a huge part of being a right back. Also very good on the  ball, obviously being a midfielder. I actually think LJ still has plans for Korey in that position. 10 million pound right back he described him as. Yeah he was kinda joking as he then said he is a 100k midfielder, but I think he genuinely likes Korey in that position. Agree he is better than Hunt.

I am not saying this would definitely work, but it was interesting in the second half of QPR game. Pack was brought off and Paterson moved into a midfield 2 with Brownhill. We absolutely dominated from that point, and Brownhill seemed to perform better without Pack. And Paterson was absolutely immense.

That was the game where he chipped it over a players head and volleyed it out to Eliasson who cut inside and scored.

It would take a lot of work on the training ground, but I think Pato could love it in that position where he is on the ball so often. I think the main thing would be LJ coaching Pato the defensive positions to take up off the ball, that's more important than being strong and a tough tackling in todays game, though I do think his tackling has improved a lot over the last season.

On 07/06/2019 at 10:24, Major Isewater said:

If they haven't they should bend over backwards to do so.

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Korey has been immense at right back. Players just can't get round him. Best in one on ones we have, which is a huge part of being a right back. Also very good on the  ball, obviously being a midfielder. I actually think LJ still has plans for Korey in that position. 10 million pound right back he described him as. Yeah he was kinda joking as he then said he is a 100k midfielder, but I think he genuinely likes Korey in that position. Agree he is better than Hunt.

Might be a tad generous.

Here’s his games at RB for City.

2986F7A5-9D04-46E8-B367-99605956A28E.thumb.jpeg.31b94955074be77c2ff88669aac0d106.jpeg

I certainly agree he was great v Huddersfield live on Sky, but the Sunderland 3-3 he wasn’t.

He could certainly play there, and over a season, think he could give us a lot of pluses....but if he’s fit to play a season at RB, I would want him in CM!!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Might be a tad generous.

Here’s his games at RB for City.

2986F7A5-9D04-46E8-B367-99605956A28E.thumb.jpeg.31b94955074be77c2ff88669aac0d106.jpeg

I certainly agree he was great v Huddersfield live on Sky, but the Sunderland 3-3 he wasn’t.

He could certainly play there, and over a season, think he could give us a lot of pluses....but if he’s fit to play a season at RB, I would want him in CM!!

Brownhill played right back in that Sunderland game and had an absolute shocker. I personally like Korey in either position. He played there second game against Man City and did very well up against Sane I thought. Like you say Huddersfield game, and I remember Cardiff game he was immense. I'd have to watch whole games back to say exactly what others. Games like Preston and possibly others unfair to really say one player had bad game without watching it back. That game had the slowest, most immobile midfield we have ever had that got completely destroyed by Preston's nippy hard working Pearson and co. That is where we lost that one.

I don't think Korey should be at right back when we are struggling in midfield. A key factor in some of those games may have been missing Korey in midfield. But if we get one or two quality midfielders in the summer then I do believe Korey is a good option at right back. 

Yes, you are right, it was Brownhill.

I guess Korey is just a good player / footballer....that’s why he could play RB.

Also, by the same token that everyone was poor v Preston, everyone was good v Huddersfield, but Korey made a big difference that night.  Was Cotterill RM/W that night?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, you are right, it was Brownhill.

I guess Korey is just a good player / footballer....that’s why he could play RB.

Also, by the same token that everyone was poor v Preston, everyone was good v Huddersfield, but Korey made a big difference that night.  Was Cotterill RM/W that night?

Yeah Cotterill right mid in a 4. O'Neil and Pack in midfield I think. Weird how we played so well and won 4-0 against such a good side, though Hogg injury was probably key. Huddersfield were strangely awful that night. I remember Tomlin getting loads of praise as he scored and we won, but he had a shocker - well, as bad as he was all season really for us.

On 07/06/2019 at 10:24, Major Isewater said:

Somewhat off topic but yes, many years ago. Contrary to popular use, the Kama Sutra is about the philosophy and theory of love, and life fulfilment. Sexual positions only form a small part of the complete text. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Might be a bit of a radical suggestion, but how about trying Andreas Wiemann up front..?

Now you’re being ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Somewhat off topic but yes, many years ago. Contrary to popular use, the Kama Sutra is about the philosophy and theory of love, and life fulfilment. Sexual positions only form a small part of the complete text. 

But the vast part of the pictures !

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah Cotterill right mid in a 4. O'Neil and Pack in midfield I think. Weird how we played so well and won 4-0 against such a good side, though Hogg injury was probably key. Huddersfield were strangely awful that night. I remember Tomlin getting loads of praise as he scored and we won, but he had a shocker - well, as bad as he was all season really for us.

Yeah, I recall that too, thought he was very average that night, against several really good performances.

On 07/06/2019 at 09:54, spudski said:

Think Webster could be a very decent defensive midfielder.

I thought that before LJ did it against WBA. After that, when it worked, we suffered defensively when it was repeated. Webster and Kalas is best central defence pairing for a long long time, possibly since Collier and Hunter.

When you get that quality in  defensive pairing, my opinion is to not meddle with it.

Archived