IGNORED

Rooney Rule Introduced

Super

I think a bigger problem is getting BAME candidates to actually do the courses and get their badges. I don’t have the stats to hand but read a year or two ago that the ratio of white to BAME managers in the EFL is very similar to the ratio of white to BAME people completing their badges.

12 minutes ago, The King of Spain said:

Thought for a minute Wayne would have to be interviewed for every management job in the EFL! 

Good move in my view although I do worry that when some BAME candidates are successful there will be accusations of quota filling 

Football management's notorious attrition rate may quell said fears. And hopefully not spark knee-jerk discrimination accusations.

From the rest of the article the Spygate loophole is now shut. £200k was peanuts as a fine anyway. And also LeedsBottledItAgainLOL.

Just now, Ohbasso said:

I think a bigger problem is getting BAME candidates to actually do the courses and get their badges. I don’t have the stats to hand but read a year or two ago that the ratio of white to BAME managers in the EFL is very similar to the ratio of white to BAME people completing their badges.

Or they don't think it's worth it given the lack of jobs?

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He will have to and then when he appoints the original man he wanted the black manager can claim he wasn’t given a fair crack of the whip and said owner will be called racist by John Barnes 

John Barnes says everyone is unconsciously racist. What absolute nonsense.

It's a great idea... to a point.

I can see it working well further down the football pyramid, but in the top divisions, clubs will want proven track records which a lot of BAME candidates won't have (probably because of a lack of previous opportunities).

Given that clubs frequently employ overseas managers, you wonder if minority ethnic includes Spanish, French or German candidates.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I can see it working well further down the football pyramid

This is where I could see it working, if a BAME candidate presents a great vision, just an example but LJ with Oldham then the chairman/owner becomes aware of them even if they don't get it that time. Think it will take a long time before working up the leagues though.

39 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So if a club have a shortlist of 6 they have to consider a seventh  purely because of the colour of his skin,would of thought that is more insulting 

Keep in mind the Rooney Rule wasn't about necessarily getting people jobs, it obviously recognised it could not and should not enforce an outcome, but it was a positive step just to get an interview, as that then builds experience for minority coaches of the process and what is expected of them to land a job, and for owners/clubs it builds knowledge for future of those candidates.

So far from being artificial "tokenism" for the sake of tokenism, it openly accepts that it may be a superfluous 7th candidate but it is only by going through the process that both sides of it gain the experience that mean somewhere down the line that token 7th invite becomes a candidate out of choice. To use a well worn cliché, this is just giving them a ticket, not winning them the lottery.

23 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It's a great idea... to a point.

I can see it working well further down the football pyramid, but in the top divisions, clubs will want proven track records which a lot of BAME candidates won't have (probably because of a lack of previous opportunities).

Given that clubs frequently employ overseas managers, you wonder if minority ethnic includes Spanish, French or German candidates.

It’s a trickle-up system. For instance, look at Sol. Overlooked for bigger roles for whatever reason, not necessarily race, but started at the bottom with Macclesfield. Did a terrific job keeping them up and if he were to apply for a role at a bigger club he may get more of a chance courtesy of the Rooney Rule.

It should have a snowball effect.

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It’s a trickle-up system. For instance, look at Sol. Overlooked for bigger roles for whatever reason, not necessarily race, but started at the bottom with Macclesfield. Did a terrific job keeping them up and if he were to apply for a role at a bigger club he may get more of a chance courtesy of the Rooney Rule.

It should have a snowball effect.

Ince started at Macc, then went to Blackburn where he was shit.

Wonder where Sol will go.

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Or they don't think it's worth it given the lack of jobs?

I don’t think the rules a bad thing I just think that there’ll never be a higher percentage of BAME managers unless they can persuade more to get their badges. You have to be in it to win as they say.

Well what if no BAME player/ex-player etc. wishes to apply for the role of manager when a vacancy arises? Doesn't this mean the EFL will also have to make it policy that all BAME players/ex-players have to apply for any and every vacancy arising? Or will clubs have to go out and press gang someone from the BAME community to apply?

I'm not trying to be inflammatory but I can't believe every single time there's a vacancy that someone who is BAME are going to want to apply. However, it's absolutely right that everyone should get the same opportunities regardless of gender, race, etc.

Can’t everyone just apply if they are interested in the job and have experience and qualifications and personality and be appointed or not by the club on how they ‘fit’. If certain people get automatic interviews based on skin colour where does it stop, does every woman who is qualified etc get an interview too? 

1 hour ago, Ohbasso said:

Which if true makes this rule pathetic.

I’m of the belief that the candidate which those who conducted the interviews decide is best, is final. 

Why does ethnicity matter?

Are football club owners/directors etc generally that backward to depreciate someone for their ethnicity? I wouldn’t believe so.

Imagine being the one Asian guy being interviewed, knowing that you’re only there because you’re Asian (and you applied (obviously))?! Seems worse to me than actually earning/warranting an interview.

41 minutes ago, RedM said:

Can’t everyone just apply if they are interested in the job and have experience and qualifications and personality and be appointed or not by the club on how they ‘fit’. If certain people get automatic interviews based on skin colour where does it stop, does every woman who is qualified etc get an interview too? 

Very good point,the LGBTQ’s like a moan up as well so they will be on the interview list soon as well 

Archived