IGNORED

Italia 90 - 29 years ago today

CyderInACan

1990, the year of the best ever world cup song ! Went to the Belgium game, think they had us in the ground about 4 hours before ko and kept us in for about 2 hours after and couldn't get a pint for 24 hours before the game always remember the police and military outside before and after it was like walking through a war zone.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Saw this on twitter as Italia 90 started 29 years ago today. That World Cup followed hot on the heels of City getting promoted and me finishing my GCSEs. What a summer that was. 

I forget you are so much younger than me...

I’ll never forget the buzz in the centre getting the bus home that afternoon in anticipation of that semi final. #worldinmotion

I was lucky enough to do the whole of Italia '90 from Sardinia all the way to Turin. It was an incredible experience. Yes, at times we were treated like dogs, especially on match days but, by staying away from the majority of the growing English fan base during the tournament, we had an absolute blast.

Having dual citizenship helped as well.

I'll never forget the beach at Rimini, that was absolutely mental!

Happy memories. 

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Saw this on twitter as Italia 90 started 29 years ago today. That World Cup followed hot on the heels of City getting promoted and me finishing my GCSEs. What a summer that was. 

Remember it very well. The tournament started the day before my wedding, and we’re still together celebrating our 29th anniversary tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You`re right sadly. USA 94 was good as well and still a `proper` World Cup but it hasn`t been the same since.

And sadly one that England missed. Did the qualifiers for WC 94 home and away expecting to go the USA...

24 minutes ago, Corsham Ed said:

Remember it very well. The tournament started the day before my wedding, and we’re still together celebrating our 29th anniversary tomorrow.

Wow, in a weird coincidence I also got married on the 9th June 1990, and remember watching Italia 90 games on a big screen on honeymoon.

However I got divorced 25 years ago. Happy fo king days! 

Remember it well, I was 11, had the Italia 90 folder sticker album where you collected weekly parts, I have it in the loft still, I stuck a photo of Bob Taylor in the cover!  

I also had Italia 90 subutteo set with Italian goal nets and footballs!

i remember the volley from Platt v Belgium and then going out in the garden in the dark and trying to recreate it!

Apart from Euro 96, World Cup 98 and last year, has to be my fave!

F367D5EF-8E6B-4E01-BC25-96F0F081B64C.png

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

You`re right sadly. USA 94 was good as well and still a `proper` World Cup but it hasn`t been the same since.

What was wrong with France 98? I was only 15 but remember that being good. 

19 minutes ago, RedSA said:

What was wrong with France 98? I was only 15 but remember that being good. 

Dunno really, it just didn`t grab me like the USA one did. Perhaps it was the getting up in the middle of the night to watch games that made it special and a bit more exotic - a bit like when the Ashes are in Australia or the WC in Argentina in 78. 

Remember coming home from school to watch Cameroon go to work on the likes of Claudio Caniggia before securing the biggest football upset I’d witnessed as an 11 year old boy.

For some reason I seem to remember more from that tournament than I do from any of the WCs since 2002 and thats before seeing One Night in Turin. Definitely my favourite World Cup.

38 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Dunno really, it just didn`t grab me like the USA one did. Perhaps it was the getting up in the middle of the night to watch games that made it special and a bit more exotic - a bit like when the Ashes are in Australia or the WC in Argentina in 78. 

I had just finished my exams at the time of USA 94 and it felt like a treat to stay up until 4 in the morning watching football. 

I probably wouldn’t bother now ?

1 minute ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

Found it!!! Fair challenge....

Yep, nothing wrong with that. 

Play on ?

Archived