IGNORED

England v. Scotland Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, Redpool said:

I don’t think that’s true @RedDave we are seeing more and more women pundits appear on our screens. We are almost force fed this wave of equality.

Alex Scott appears on Sky Sports every now and then. Who else? One woman in 25 years of Premier League football. If we are being forefed with one then we must be hungry 

2 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

You would have thought on a Sunday afternoon they would have been home baking cakes.

Another moron

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Alex Scott appears on Sky Sports every now and then. Who else? One woman in 25 years of Premier League football. If we are being forefed with one then we must be hungry 

Another moron

You’ve got quite a lot appearing on Gillette soccer Saturday commentating at games. Then you have the likes of Gabby Logan, who is the best of them all in my opinion presenting various sports shows and even covers Match of the Day when required.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Another moron

Oh dear another snowflake who has no sense of humour.

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I don’t think it is. Women are pretty much non existent on men’s panels

Most people seem to not realise that the game has progressed massively in recent years 

I was being facetious really, but the BBC did regularly have women on the pundit panel at the last World Cup. So if they're going to make such a big point about equality, it should at least work both ways. 

8 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Oh dear another snowflake who has no sense of humour.

If it was a joke then it was one that has been used a lot. Try to come up with something a bit more original

9 minutes ago, Redpool said:

You’ve got quite a lot appearing on Gillette soccer Saturday commentating at games. Then you have the likes of Gabby Logan, who is the best of them all in my opinion presenting various sports shows and even covers Match of the Day when required.

Oh my god ! EVEN match of the day. Jesus Christ. Will football ever be the same again if someone without a cock is talking about it? 

23 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Apparently between them 16k English and Scotish fans travelled out for the game, quite impressive, 1k more than the 15k Gas fans that would have gone to the Europa League Final. ????

Attendance was only 13k including locals and neutrals so yes, 16k England and Scottish fans certainly using Gas logic

31 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

You would have thought on a Sunday afternoon they would have been home baking cakes.

Sorry, the machine broke. Anyway...

MORONIC COMMENT NUMBER 3

It isn't that I think you're offensive, it's just that it's a deeply unfunny and tired routine. People deservedly calling you out on your outdated humour and you react as you did to @RedDave; does that not make you the 'snowflake'? The irony is that's the funniest thing I've heard you say; not because you have a 'sense of humour', but rather it cements you as a walking stereotype

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It's not funny. Get back in the museum you dinosaur !!

People who say 'snowflake' are often those that cannot accept that society is moving along without them, and that their mysogynistic, narrow-minded ways are no longer the norm. 

Anyway, back to football. Nervy last twenty minutes or so, doubt Neville will be too pleased as being a 'Jekyll and Hyde' team has been a bit of an issue for England and he's mentioned this before. One up on the Auld Enemy regardless

45 minutes ago, Redpool said:

I don’t think that’s true @RedDave we are seeing more and more women pundits appear on our screens. We are almost force fed this wave of equality.

A couple of the reporters on soccer Saturday aren't too bad but not a fan of the ones on the panels 

46 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Stop deliberately irritating those taking the high morale ground AD. At least I can see thru your obvious transparency!

10 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

A couple of the reporters on soccer Saturday aren't too bad but not a fan of the ones on the panels 

Agreed, my argument is. Ex female footballers have never played at the same level as the mens game. They have not played under the same attendances, same spotlight, same "value" of a game.

It's like watching Golf. I'm happy to hear the opinions of former pros when the Ryder cup is on etc. But why on earth would I want to listen to a female golfer who has never played in the Ryder Cup, give her professional opinion.

I'm all for diversity, as I do enjoy Alex Scotts input. But you have to draw the line, and not listen to the PC brigade. 

Alex Scott definitely not happy based on her views at full time and i think she's right. England sloppy in last 20 mins trying to be too fancy and delicate in possession, loss of Millie Bright upset the defensive shape, Alex Greenwood wrong side defending for the goal and England should've tactically fouled in the build up to the goal, just to break up Scottish possession from poor pass by Steph Houghton.

22 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Agreed, my argument is. Ex female footballers have never played at the same level as the mens game. They have not played under the same attendances, same spotlight, same "value" of a game.

But you need to understand the game. Not necessarily to have played an exceptionally high level. Football is football.  

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

OMG another poor decision as a result of VAR. To say that penalty award was harsh is an understatement. You put out your arms for natural balance, it’s more unnatural for them to be behind the back. 

Handball no longer needs to be deliberate and athletic physiology Is now irrelevant. There was a penalty for handball awarded via VAR in the Brazil Jamaica game which would be hard to suggest any coaching remedy for. What is being expected of players IS illogical.

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

But you need to understand the game. Not necessarily to have played an exceptionally high level. Football is football.  

I disagree to some extent. Otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry can go on. Granted, some of the pros talk absolute garbage. But I'd be more interested in listening to an ex pro from the top level, than someone who just "understands" the game. Although saying that, maybe a blended approach would be better. For example, on the MOTD bench. Have a former pro footballer, former manager, and possibly a Sports Editor from one of the Media channels. 

Impressive to get Hope Solo for the punditry, she is the only woman's footballer who seems to have pretty good recognition even in the USA amongst people who aren't major 'soccer' fans. 

England were technically good, their final third play needs some improvement, their right hand side is incredibly strong. Fair play to Scotland they really kicked on in the last 25 minutes.

5 hours ago, weepywall said:

Apparently between them 16k English and Scotish fans travelled out for the game, quite impressive, 1k more than the 15k Gas fans that would have gone to the Europa League Final. ????

**** me thats actually impressive.

I thought first half that England played some impressive stuff. @RedDave is right about Kirby although I think this is a lack of form rather than talent, the young girl that replaced her Stanway looks a real prospect though. Parris is really eye-catching and White is a goalscorer for sure. I thought England tired badly and If I have one criticism, something I hadn't really noticed before, I thought that the quality dropped quickly when they ran out of steam.

Having said that, first game of the tournament, the pressure of that plus playing a local rival, I think they did well and managed the game properly in the last 15. 

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought first half that England played some impressive stuff. @RedDave is right about Kirby although I think this is a lack of form rather than talent, the young girl that replaced her Stanway looks a real prospect though. Parris is really eye-catching and White is a goalscorer for sure. I thought England tired badly and If I have one criticism, something I hadn't really noticed before, I thought that the quality dropped quickly when they ran out of steam.

Having said that, first game of the tournament, the pressure of that plus playing a local rival, I think they did well and managed the game properly in the last 15. 

Agree about the quality drop. This is the first tournament England have been in when their season has finished just before it. Neville might rue the decision to send them on an Army training camp. Rest might have been the best option.  Not a good sign at all that they are tired already. The other top teams haven’t looked tired at 60 mins into their first games

15 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Can we please stop this tasteless and dated sexism

Especially as our own women's team is doing well, and enhancing the name of Bristol City.

I was actually interested in why women were awarded caps when it is men who are associated with wearing caps. If women were awarded sports bras for being picked to represent England at netball and years later men started playing netball and were awarded sports bras I would wonder the same thing. But obviously on here there are some very sensitive souls who seek to find offence when none was given.

Fwiw, I am all for women playing football and cricket and being judged as women players and not compared to men. In conversation with the ex coach of a women's team in the west country, he said that his team played a great standard of football and wanted to test themselves against the men's team. So, they played a game, behind closed doors against the club's under-18s youth team and were, unfortunately, trounced. He said it was an eye opener for them and displays how vital physical strength is in football. That is why I do not compare.

50 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I was actually interested in why women were awarded caps when it is men who are associated with wearing caps. If women were awarded sports bras for being picked to represent England at netball and years later men started playing netball and were awarded sports bras I would wonder the same thing. But obviously on here there are some very sensitive souls who seek to find offence when none was given.

Fwiw, I am all for women playing football and cricket and being judged as women players and not compared to men. In conversation with the ex coach of a women's team in the west country, he said that his team played a great standard of football and wanted to test themselves against the men's team. So, they played a game, behind closed doors against the club's under-18s youth team and were, unfortunately, trounced. He said it was an eye opener for them and displays how vital physical strength is in football. That is why I do not compare.

That's the second reference I have seen to one off games against men and the result of them. I wonder if they played against mens teams more regularly whether the standard would improve exponentially. Martina Navratilova used to play against men as part of her training sessions and she was streets ahead of the rest until, players like Steffi Graf and the WIlliams sisters came along. 

Archived