IGNORED

England v. Scotland Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

6 millions viewers yesterday. I assume that’s more than watched the men’s team. That shows (a) the interest in women’s football and (b) the value of having sport on free to air channels. 

B begets A really. Good thing for literally everyone. 

15 hours ago, Redpool said:

Agreed, my argument is. Ex female footballers have never played at the same level as the mens game. They have not played under the same attendances, same spotlight, same "value" of a game.

It's like watching Golf. I'm happy to hear the opinions of former pros when the Ryder cup is on etc. But why on earth would I want to listen to a female golfer who has never played in the Ryder Cup, give her professional opinion.

I'm all for diversity, as I do enjoy Alex Scotts input. But you have to draw the line, and not listen to the PC brigade. 

But presumably you're happy to listen to the thoughts of Mark Roe, Nick Dougherty, Rob Lee, Butch Harmon, Rich Beem, Ewen Murray etc giving their professional opinions, despite also never having played in a Ryder Cup? 

18 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

But presumably you're happy to listen to the thoughts of Mark Roe, Nick Dougherty, Rob Lee, Butch Harmon, Rich Beem, Ewen Murray etc giving their professional opinions, despite also never having played in a Ryder Cup? 

To some extent yes. Because they are/were professional golfers who have played in the most prestigious competitions. With the most prestigious value and biggest golfing crowds.

9 minutes ago, Redpool said:

To some extent yes. Because they are/were professional golfers who have played in the most prestigious competitions. With the most prestigious value and biggest golfing crowds.......

.......at their level. 

The woman commentators have done the same at theirs. Insight is insight, I don't think some of the professional male pundits add any more or less than a straightforward commentator who has never played the game at all. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I watched the fist half of the England - Scotland game and was disappointed with the quality. Reckon Bath City could comfortably beat England or Scotland women... queue abuse no doubt!

What is the relevance of your comment? Did you used to sit there watching Kelly Holmes and say a man could run faster than her?

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

What is the relevance of your comment? Did you used to sit there watching Kelly Holmes and say a man could run faster than her?

Nop, just thought with all the development of the woman's game over the last few years that the very best England & Scotland can muster would have had more quality than they did.

Kelly Holmes, or any other top female athlete would beat most men over their distance, the England/Scotland women's team are nowhere near that level.

26 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Nop, just thought with all the development of the woman's game over the last few years that the very best England & Scotland can muster would have had more quality than they did.

Kelly Holmes, or any other top female athlete would beat most men over their distance, the England/Scotland women's team are nowhere near that level.

It's still a work in progress, definitely. When the game has been systemically neglected for so long it is going to take time to bring it up to a level that attracts more viewers. That being said, the calibre has improved in recent years and we could be one of the clubs driving this, which is really something to be proud of. During WWII women's football became immensely popular to the point where it was outlawed once the war was over.

Once I get to the point where I have children [ten years or so barring an oops moment], I hope that if I have a daughter that ends up wanting to play football with the boys, she can do so without snidey comments or fear of being stigmatised. However if she ends up anything like me she's going to be bloody hopeless at it

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Kelly Holmes at her very best would be outside of the top UK 100 mens 1500 metre times. 

8 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Kelly Holmes at her very best would be outside of the top UK 100 mens 1500 metre times. 

Indeed, but the top 100 men do not represent MOST men do they!  You could likely pick a team excluding the top 10000 male players and, based on what I saw from the England v Scotland game, neither Women's side would beat them. 

40 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Indeed, but the top 100 men do not represent MOST men do they!  You could likely pick a team excluding the top 10000 male players and, based on what I saw from the England v Scotland game, neither Women's side would beat them. 

But even if that is true, why does it matter? They are not playing against men, they are playing against other women. 

Just don't understand why people can't enjoy women's football for what it is, without constantly comparing it to the men's game? :dunno:

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

But even if that is true, why does it matter? They are not playing against men, they are playing against other women. 

Just don't understand why people can't enjoy women's football for what it is, without constantly comparing it to the men's game? :dunno:

Fair point, having not watched women's football before, I was just using the comparison to underline the relative poor quality of the football on offer, I was expecting better tbh.

I suspect a good number of the 6.1m BBC viewers, were men like me who thought they would give it a watch to see what it was like - be interesting to see how many viewers watch the next game...I won't be choosing too.

9 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I don't really understand your point. The top 100 men certainly are representative of UK 1500 metre runners. It goes further than that. Kelly Holmes best time wouldn't get in the top 500 UK male times, maybe more. 

Archived