Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

England v. Scotland Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I watched the fist half of the England - Scotland game and was disappointed with the quality. Reckon Bath City could comfortably beat England or Scotland women... queue abuse no doubt!

What is the relevance of your comment? Did you used to sit there watching Kelly Holmes and say a man could run faster than her?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

What is the relevance of your comment? Did you used to sit there watching Kelly Holmes and say a man could run faster than her?

Nop, just thought with all the development of the woman's game over the last few years that the very best England & Scotland can muster would have had more quality than they did.

Kelly Holmes, or any other top female athlete would beat most men over their distance, the England/Scotland women's team are nowhere near that level.

33 minutes ago, RedDave said:

stop digging dave ffs...….no ones making comparisons

8 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

stop digging dave ffs...….no ones making comparisons

He said England would lose to a non league team. That’s comparing. 

26 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Nop, just thought with all the development of the woman's game over the last few years that the very best England & Scotland can muster would have had more quality than they did.

Kelly Holmes, or any other top female athlete would beat most men over their distance, the England/Scotland women's team are nowhere near that level.

It's still a work in progress, definitely. When the game has been systemically neglected for so long it is going to take time to bring it up to a level that attracts more viewers. That being said, the calibre has improved in recent years and we could be one of the clubs driving this, which is really something to be proud of. During WWII women's football became immensely popular to the point where it was outlawed once the war was over.

Once I get to the point where I have children [ten years or so barring an oops moment], I hope that if I have a daughter that ends up wanting to play football with the boys, she can do so without snidey comments or fear of being stigmatised. However if she ends up anything like me she's going to be bloody hopeless at it

Edited by Newquay-Red

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Kelly Holmes at her very best would be outside of the top UK 100 mens 1500 metre times. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Kelly Holmes at her very best would be outside of the top UK 100 mens 1500 metre times. 

Indeed, but the top 100 men do not represent MOST men do they!  You could likely pick a team excluding the top 10000 male players and, based on what I saw from the England v Scotland game, neither Women's side would beat them. 

40 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Indeed, but the top 100 men do not represent MOST men do they!  You could likely pick a team excluding the top 10000 male players and, based on what I saw from the England v Scotland game, neither Women's side would beat them. 

But even if that is true, why does it matter? They are not playing against men, they are playing against other women. 

Just don't understand why people can't enjoy women's football for what it is, without constantly comparing it to the men's game? :dunno:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

But even if that is true, why does it matter? They are not playing against men, they are playing against other women. 

Just don't understand why people can't enjoy women's football for what it is, without constantly comparing it to the men's game? :dunno:

Fair point, having not watched women's football before, I was just using the comparison to underline the relative poor quality of the football on offer, I was expecting better tbh.

I suspect a good number of the 6.1m BBC viewers, were men like me who thought they would give it a watch to see what it was like - be interesting to see how many viewers watch the next game...I won't be choosing too.

9 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I don't really understand your point. The top 100 men certainly are representative of UK 1500 metre runners. It goes further than that. Kelly Holmes best time wouldn't get in the top 500 UK male times, maybe more.