IGNORED

As the crowd - **** VAR

East End Old Boy

I am a supporter of VAR in general and it has done more good than bad since its introduction. When technology gets introduced in any situation, it takes time for people to adapt.

That being said, that was NOT a clear infringement. The defender went to ground too easily. Yes, Wilson grabbed his arm but with the kind of force that wouldn't even have pulled a carrot out of the ground.

Sadly here on this old boy's club saying that I see that VAR can be useful in the future is the equivalent of finding where every OTIB member lives and going and punching their children in the face one by one. Bring on the eggplants...

EDIT: The moment I saw the name 'Gary' on my notifications I knew what I was in for. 

It cricket we have umpires decision on lbw - we at least need a 5% tolerance on offsides for attackingside depending on if ref gave it or not 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

The problem is nobody knows what it’s being used for 

there will be loads of goals given where there would have been a foul in the build up somewhere.

Yep.......how far back in the play does the VaR go? 

Twice now England have had goals chalked off by very marginal VaR decisions whereas without VaR both would have stood.

TomF is spot on as well - there should be a percentage of error allocated as there are with LBW in cricket - can’t see that happening tho.....

Simple answer imho, take the ref and the guy in the studio out of the decision to invoke VAR...make it the manager’s decision.  One review per half.  Abuse it / lose it.

Take the Goal today, had Swiss used theirs incorrectly earlier in the half...tough.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Simple answer imho, take the ref and the guy in the studio out of the decision to invoke VAR...make it the manager’s decision.  One review per half.  Abuse it / lose it.

Take the Goal today, had Swiss used theirs incorrectly earlier in the half...tough.

Could work similar to a 'coach's challenge' like they have in the NHL. However an implication for an incorrect challenge would have to be devised too and I am not sure what this could be.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Same thing I said after the last 2 games. Teams have to appeal and they only get one appeal, so they can't appeal non stop. VAR becomes self managing - it's only for when teams feel extreme injustice.

Absolute madness that VAR reviews are being initiated by a person in a box or the increasingly unconfident ref (well why not just review), without any demand. 

Go back to what it was there for, extreme circumstances where a team immediately felt wronged. One appeal each. It'd stop continual harassment of the ref too.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Correct decision isn’t the most important thing is it?! Unless you go to games to get excited about correct decisions 

That's very obviously not the case; it's more that people get aggrieved towards incorrect decisions as opposed to the opposite. That is what VAR intends to combat. Is it fully working as it should be now? Of course it isn't. That's inevitable. Sport in general is very conservative and changes like this will take a bit of time.

Funnily enough when Scott Duncan decided to become Villa's best player in Grealish's absence there were loads of people on here clamouring for VAR. Yet when it happens to our beloved England, and people don't have anything better to talk about on here, the tantrums hit fever pitch (this bit doesn't necessarily refer to your post Dave but rather the general consensus here right now) and suddenly you wonder if you've taken a wrong turn and ended up on 'BRISTOL CITY TILL I DIE'

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Correct decision isn’t the most important thing is it?! Unless you go to games to get excited about correct decisions 

It’s just a game reffed by humans.

its exciting and flowing and chance plays a part.

Well it used to be.

48 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

That's very obviously not the case; it's more that people get aggrieved towards incorrect decisions as opposed to the opposite. That is what VAR intends to combat. Is it fully working as it should be now? Of course it isn't. That's inevitable. Sport in general is very conservative and changes like this will take a bit of time.

Funnily enough when Scott Duncan decided to become Villa's best player in Grealish's absence there were loads of people on here clamouring for VAR. Yet when it happens to our beloved England, and people don't have anything better to talk about on here, the tantrums hit fever pitch (this bit doesn't necessarily refer to your post Dave but rather the general consensus here right now) and suddenly you wonder if you've taken a wrong turn and ended up on 'BRISTOL CITY TILL I DIE'

Well, I for one wasn’t clamouring for it and the more I see it the more I don’t want it!

5 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

VAR makes the game 2 level.

Teams that are high up the ladder have it non league and parks can’t.

Personally feel all laws should be available to all levels not just the elite.

Couldn’t agree more. For me all technology that interferes with play in football is an abomination, including the prat (sorry 4th official) with the board, but if you ever want accuracy of decisions it’s in non-league. At those levels decisions that may affect relegation issues can be a real factor in whether the club survives to play another season. 

VAR in this seasons FA cup gave premiership clubs an unfair advantage. If it had been at all games both Manchester City and  Wolves wouldn’t have Been in the semifinals. There is a place for it but it has to be available to all games not just selected fixtures. The FA talk about fair play so come let’s have it please   

VAR is bollox. 

Goal line tech is fine. That is a black and white, clear as day, absolute factual conclusion. All the rest of this s*** they’ve introduce is absolute tosh. 

Pish & tish I say. Or in other words - effing shiite 

If this shit becomes the norm, I will seriously have to reconsider my interest in football. 

The truth is, football with VAR is not the sport we fell in love with.

We are humans, not robots.  We want passion, blood and thunder, mistakes, talking points that make the blood boil (not the tedium of discussing a VAR disallowed goal), exciting football.

Surely we want to be able to celebrate a goal and not then feel like absolute dog shite five minutes later if the goal is erased.  I just don't see the need for it.  The game was fine, in fact, it was better than fine, it was bloody brilliant.

Sod it, get rid... I prefer to see the TV 'debates' of right and wrong decisions in replays of televised games and the occasional 'outrage/joy & what if's felt by both sides when a subsequent 'injustice' has been spotted. 

Live games create great atmosphere in the stands when the crowd sees things the ref misses.

(imagine the fun we would have missed out on if officials had spotted Warnock's  Palace 'ghost goal'  a few years ago!)

Also the expense of var review teams and studios in stadiums seems a waste of money, and as pointed out above the use of var pro games creates an unnecessary difference between top level football, lower leagues and grassroots stuff.

The basic game should strive to be 'the same' wherever possible, var creates one very big difference. 

16 hours ago, Olé said:

Same thing I said after the last 2 games. Teams have to appeal and they only get one appeal, so they can't appeal non stop. VAR becomes self managing - it's only for when teams feel extreme injustice.

Absolute madness that VAR reviews are being initiated by a person in a box or the increasingly unconfident ref (well why not just review), without any demand. 

Go back to what it was there for, extreme circumstances where a team immediately felt wronged. One appeal each. It'd stop continual harassment of the ref too.

Maybe change that to 1 "life" on the appeals.  As soon as you  get one wrong you've lost it.  Would be harsh if you appealed and correctly won a penalty and then later on an opponent lamps someone off the ball and it's missed by the official.  But yes....  definitely put it in the hands of the manager or captain.

Archived