IGNORED

As the crowd - **** VAR

East End Old Boy

I support City and Bristol Rugby.

It is painful watching rugby referees looking at endless views of whether a foot was on the touch line or not, did a player under sixteen great big forward lumps touch down correctly and so on.

I can accept the goal line camera because it is instant but trying to see if someone is offside by the width of a bootlace? No, it will create two separate levels of the the game - the haves and the have nots.

Football is a game that flows, unlike rugby or American football. Meddling with it will kill it. Its a game of brilliant skill and mistakes that makes it so enthralling.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I support City and Bristol Rugby.

It is painful watching rugby referees looking at endless views of whether a foot was on the touch line or not, did a player under sixteen great big forward lumps touch down correctly and so on.

I can accept the goal line camera because it is instant but trying to see if someone is offside by the width of a bootlace? No, it will create two separate levels of the the game - the haves and the have nots.

Football is a game that flows, unlike rugby or American football. Meddling with it will kill it. Its a game of brilliant skill and mistakes that makes it so enthralling.

That is the key for me.

While it might be tedious, at least with Rugby reviews are carried in the event of a try, so play has stopped anyway.

The whole nature of football is different and we would all want the ball to remain in play more than it does anyway, which is why time wasting is so annoying. If VAR was only used when the ball is in the back of the net it wouldn't be so bad, and that it was at the instigation of the on field referee, but it now seems that the "control" of the game is inextricably passing to the VAR panel in the studio.

The last 20 years or so has seen a gradual erosion of the referees authority on the pitch, due to the lack of respect they are shown by players (and managers) with demands for decisions to be changed by a pose of players, players waving imaginary yellow cards or diving in order to cheat a decision. What respect can referees possibly retain when their on pitch decisions can, and will, be overruled by someone watching the game on a tv screen? We have already seen players demanding that decisions are referred or reviewed by VAR, and with so  much financially at stake, this will only get worse over time and as VAR is available in more and more games. 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

The truth is, football with VAR is not the sport we fell in love with.

We are humans, not robots.  We want passion, blood and thunder, mistakes, talking points that make the blood boil (not the tedium of discussing a VAR disallowed goal), exciting football.

Surely we want to be able to celebrate a goal and not then feel like absolute dog shite five minutes later if the goal is erased.  I just don't see the need for it.  The game was fine, in fact, it was better than fine, it was bloody brilliant.

We still had that at Hull, without VAR!

On 09/06/2019 at 15:53, 054123 said:

To think Arsenal wouldn’t have won the league in 89 because VAR would have brought play back for the rolling ball at the free kick.

But everyone would be happy because it was 100% correct.

Assuming you've reviewed all mistakes throughout that season, of course!

On 09/06/2019 at 16:27, RedDave said:

Correct decision isn’t the most important thing is it?! Unless you go to games to get excited about correct decisions 

Until a big decision goes against your team though hey?

I'm still not sure on this offside thing, and also the reviewing previous stages of play for a goal. Firstly offside, what happens if a player goes through on goal and is chopped down by the defender resulting in an injury, or a red card offence or something similarly game changing - but the VAR shows the striker was a couple of yards offside? Do you just ignore the fact that player has been brought down and everything after that moment because it wouldn't have happened if the linesman had flagged? (assuming the linesman didn't flag because he's been instructed to let play happen and go back to it after)

Secondly, as others have mentioned how far back do you review play before a goal? There was an incident in Sunday's game where we got a corner late on, but in the play that led to the cross which was blocked by the defender it looked like TAA (i think who played it) was offside. They didnt review it, but if we'd scored from the corner would you look back and say well actually it shouldnt have been a corner? Similarly if it was a close call and actually came off the attacker?

They need to iron this out, and it needs to be consistent. You cant have one game where the goal is ruled out because the corner shouldn't have been given, then the next week it not get ruled out.

I dont watch enough Rugby to understand how the video ref works there, but comparing to Cricket or Tennis isn't relevant as typically those decisions are very cut and dry, and less parameters to consider

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Until a big decision goes against your team though hey?

I'm still not sure on this offside thing, and also the reviewing previous stages of play for a goal. Firstly offside, what happens if a player goes through on goal and is chopped down by the defender resulting in an injury, or a red card offence or something similarly game changing - but the VAR shows the striker was a couple of yards offside? Do you just ignore the fact that player has been brought down and everything after that moment because it wouldn't have happened if the linesman had flagged? (assuming the linesman didn't flag because he's been instructed to let play happen and go back to it after)

Secondly, as others have mentioned how far back do you review play before a goal? There was an incident in Sunday's game where we got a corner late on, but in the play that led to the cross which was blocked by the defender it looked like TAA (i think who played it) was offside. They didnt review it, but if we'd scored from the corner would you look back and say well actually it shouldnt have been a corner? Similarly if it was a close call and actually came off the attacker?

They need to iron this out, and it needs to be consistent. You cant have one game where the goal is ruled out because the corner shouldn't have been given, then the next week it not get ruled out.

I dont watch enough Rugby to understand how the video ref works there, but comparing to Cricket or Tennis isn't relevant as typically those decisions are very cut and dry, and less parameters to consider

You telling me how to think and feel?! If a big decision goes against City then I would get over it as I am a grown adult and realise that it works both ways. 

VAR doesn’t work and won’t work. Amongst other things Football is about moments of instant passion. 

I cannot remember any massive decisions that have gone against City. Not saying they haven’t but the fact I can’t remember them says a lot

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

You telling me how to think and feel?! If a big decision goes against City then I would get over it as I am a grown adult and realise that it works both ways. 

VAR doesn’t work and won’t work. Amongst other things Football is about moments of instant passion. 

I cannot remember any massive decisions that have gone against City. Not saying they haven’t but the fact I can’t remember them says a lot

Sorry that was more a general question for everyone rather than directly back to you, the point is if VAR had saved England rather than cancelling out a goal we probably wouldn't be having this conversation - or not to the same scale

I think we agree about VAR on the whole anyway. I also can't remember any massive decisions going against us, but plenty of penalties given / not given and borderline offsides but they would likely even out over time

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Sorry that was more a general question for everyone rather than directly back to you, the point is if VAR had saved England rather than cancelling out a goal we probably wouldn't be having this conversation - or not to the same scale

I think we agree about VAR on the whole anyway. I also can't remember any massive decisions going against us, but plenty of penalties given / not given and borderline offsides but they would likely even out over time

I wouldn’t.

I think it’s a made for tv thing.

I don’t like it. I’m happy to enjoy the game just for what it is.

More importantly it doesn’t add to the game, but kills as a spectacle.

For what it’s worth my opinion on VAR is that the way they are using it currently is an absolute shambles, what happened to the ‘only clear and obvious errors?’ Instead we have them looking after every goal that’s scored for even the slightest infringement that they can find to rule it out. IMO the only time VAR should come into play is if the Ref or Lino think there may of been an infringement during play and at the next stop in play they can review it, the way it’s going the officials will be redundant especially the Lino’s. As it stands VAR and the people who run it are ruining the game at a very fast rate.

On 09/06/2019 at 16:14, SimonL said:

It was a foul by Wilson just before the ball came to him. Correct decision. 

Not for me, Wilson grabbed his wrist yes but to make the defender go down like a sack of shit? No chance, if he stayed on his feet it’s a goal, fact is the defender conned everyone by pretending to be shot by that pesky sniper in the crowd.

If that’s a foul then we’d be getting 10/20 penalties a game where the defenders wrestle the attacking teams from corners.

The rules of football have changed with VAR players need to get a grip and realise that everything in the penalty box will be scrutinised. There will be loads of penalty's when corners are taken at the start of the season in the Premier League next season until everyone cotton's on. 

On 10/06/2019 at 08:03, reddogkev said:

The truth is, football with VAR is not the sport we fell in love with.

We are humans, not robots.  We want passion, blood and thunder, mistakes, talking points that make the blood boil (not the tedium of discussing a VAR disallowed goal), exciting football.

Surely we want to be able to celebrate a goal and not then feel like absolute dog shite five minutes later if the goal is erased.  I just don't see the need for it.  The game was fine, in fact, it was better than fine, it was bloody brilliant.

Exactly how I feel about it

8 hours ago, SimonL said:

The rules of football have changed with VAR players need to get a grip and realise that everything in the penalty box will be scrutinised. There will be loads of penalty's when corners are taken at the start of the season in the Premier League next season until everyone cotton's on. 

Also interesting to think of the betting market, there might be a killing to be made putting lots of money on var penalties, disallowed goals etc.

Im looking forward to a massive increase in the number of penalties awarded when VAR reviews every corner and free kick to identify the defenders arm wrestling attacking players in the penalty area.

I'll not hold my breath though! :grr:

Archived