IGNORED

Harry Maguire

24 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Any evidence Maguire, Gray, Gayle or any of the others would have ever wanted to come here?

Only the fairly substantial rumour re Maguire and Gray.

Gayle never wanted to, but came down out of courtesy.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Exactly my understanding too, what a cock up

Am still in two minds as to whether the signings at the fees and wages mooted might have pushed us towards FFP danger. Might being this operative word though.

Especially had the signings meant Reid and Flint didn't come on as they did depriving us of some vital income to keep on the right side.

OTOH we could've gone up within the 3 years and no problem, especially as we could've built on the seemingly excellent spine, League One combined with these. Maybe Fredericks stays too in that scenario.

If no promotion within 2 or 2 and a half years say, they're sold- an insurance policy if you will.

Either way, a big fork in the road within our recent history.

What were the mooted fees and wages BTW? Can't really remember.

9 hours ago, Clarky89 said:

Christ. If Fredericks worked out and we managed to get Maguire and Limgard over the line. 

Hurts a little bit - especially with THAT squad. 

Imagine Fredericks at RB in this squad now...

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The rumour is that Cotts had agreed fees and wages (for both Maguire and Gray) prior to going on holiday and Pelling then tried to a better deal.

Add Jamie Murphy to that too

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am still in two minds as to whether the signings at the fees and wages mooted might have pushed us towards FFP danger. Might being this operative word though.

Especially had the signings meant Reid and Flint didn't come on as they did depriving us of some vital income to keep on the right side.

OTOH we could've gone up within the 3 years and no problem, especially as we could've built on the seemingly excellent spine, League One combined with these. Maybe Fredericks stays too in that scenario.

If no promotion within 2 or 2 and a half years say, they're sold- an insurance policy if you will.

Either way, a big fork in the road within our recent history.

What were the mooted fees and wages BTW? Can't really remember.

From memory, £4m / £14k for Gray, £2.5m / £10k (really can’t remember this bit) for Maguire.

Suspect Maguire would’ve come in for Williams, not Flint.

I’m not sure we would’ve signed Kodjia had Gray come as agreed by Cotts holiday.  Don’t believe he was a Cotts signing, more one from the recruitment team.

We spent a fair bit on loans that season as a result....Bennett, Baker, Moore, Hamer, Robinson all pre-Xmas. 

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Imagine Fredericks at RB in this squad now...

Add Jamie Murphy to that too

Shows what a good eye Cotts had.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From memory, £4m / £14k for Gray, £2.5m / £10k (really can’t remember this bit) for Maguire.

Suspect Maguire would’ve come in for Williams, not Flint.

I’m not sure we would’ve signed Kodjia had Gray come as agreed by Cotts holiday.  Don’t believe he was a Cotts signing, more one from the recruitment team.

We spent a fair bit on loans that season as a result....Bennett, Baker, Moore, Hamer, Robinson all pre-Xmas. 

Shows what a good eye Cotts had.

I suspect you're underestimating the wages on both deals, and also, wasn't it reported we had a bid of £9m accepted for Gray? Where did £4m come from?

I think the Maguire fee is about right.

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

I suspect you're underestimating the wages on both deals, and also, wasn't it reported we had a bid of £9m accepted for Gray? Where did £4m come from?

I think the Maguire fee is about right.

All the following is rumoured so you can take whatever you want.

You’re forgetting that this all went on earlier in the summer.  As it was rumoured, we agreed £4m / £14k for Gray...would’ve been a good Fee for Brentford and good wage improvement for Gray.  Burnley not in the frame at this point.

By the time Cotts had returned from hols, Pelling had tried to undercut fee and wages and Brentford started looking for other suitors.

Over the summer Burnley became interested and the fee went up to £6m (supply and demand) as has Gray’s wage demands to £18k.

Finally we tried for £6m plus £3m add-ons....was never £9m Flat.  Similar for Gayle, once Gray looked like it was falling through. Gray decided Burnley the better choice for progressing his career.  Gray even started the season at Brentford as we well know (2-4 defeat with Freeman red card).

Shame.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All the following is rumoured so you can take whatever you want.

You’re forgetting that this all went on earlier in the summer.  As it was rumoured, we agreed £4m / £14k for Gray...would’ve been a good Fee for Brentford and good wage improvement for Gray.  Burnley not in the frame at this point.

By the time Cotts had returned from hols, Pelling had tried to undercut fee and wages and Brentford started looking for other suitors. 

Over the summer Burnley became interested and the fee went up to £6m (supply and demand) as has Gray’s wage demands to £18k. 

Finally we tried for £6m plus £3m add-ons....was never £9m Flat.  Similar for Gayle, once Gray looked like it was falling through. Gray decided Burnley the better choice for progressing his career.  Gray even started the season at Brentford as we well know (2-4 defeat with Freeman red card). 

Shame.

Maybe Cotts overstepped his bounds and Pelling was having to reign it back? Having a manager negotiate player deals as little as four years ago seems a nonsense. Yes they should have an input especially on contract length and player value, but leave the suits to ultimately handle the finances. From the outside it seems we are much more professional in our dealings nowadays.

53 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Maybe Cotts overstepped his bounds and Pelling was having to reign it back? Having a manager negotiate player deals as little as four years ago seems a nonsense. Yes they should have an input especially on contract length and player value, but leave the suits to ultimately handle the finances. From the outside it seems we are much more professional in our dealings nowadays.

Quite possibly.  We don’t know how involved Pelling was in those pre-holiday discussions.  As I said a lot of rumour....but Cotts wasn’t half pissy in Portugal ?

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Quite possibly.  We don’t know how involved Pelling was in those pre-holiday discussions.  As I said a lot of rumour....but Cotts wasn’t half pissy in Portugal ?

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

was he fully pissed?

On 09/06/2019 at 22:09, CodeRed said:

I've always thought Cotts was a good judge of a player,  his recruitment to put the L1 championship team together was faultless Wilbs Smith Little Ayling Freeman etc for very little money ,  for the Championship his identification of McGuire Grey was spot on, and the signing of Kodjia - £2-3M and sell for £12-15M was the best example of SL's philosophy of (if we buy we buy young value , develop and sell at a big profit) which we haven't yet equalled. Despite this a certain tedious poster continues to flog the line that SC didn't carry out SL's wishes when he actually has been the most successful at it. Clearly we are in a good (probably better) place under LJ now - in terms of whole club development- but had we completed on the deal on McGuire we would have made a hefty return.

Totally agree could attract a decent player unlike some i can think of.

Archived