IGNORED

Bids for Webster

barneyrubble

If they haven't arrived already it's only going to be a matter of time. He will of been on the radar already but with the publishing of post season stats ect even more so.

Personally wouldn't accept anything less than 15 million . If city have any sense they will be offering him an extension with a hefty pay increase. 

Fear he will go as he is quality. 

How much would you accept?

3 minutes ago, Barney red said:

If they haven't arrived already it's only going to be a matter of time. He will of been on the radar already but with the publishing of post season stats ect even more so.

Personally wouldn't accept anything less than 15 million . If city have any sense they will be offering him an extension with a hefty pay increase. 

Fear he will go as he is quality. 

How much would you accept?

Minimum of £18m with add ons to take it to £22m. 

I’m not sure what he was like playing for Ipswich, but didn’t he get player of the season or young player so he must have attracted bids last summer when we were successful. Yes he has been immense this season but any interested teams would have been aware when we were negotiating, why didn’t they go for him then? Maybe they did, but if the teams interested now are PL then surely we wouldn’t have got him?

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’m not sure what he was like playing for Ipswich, but didn’t he get player of the season or young player so he must have attracted bids last summer when we were successful. Yes he has been immense this season but any interested teams would have been aware when we were negotiating, why didn’t they go for him then? Maybe they did, but if the teams interested now are PL then surely we wouldn’t have got him?

Had bad injuries at Portsmouth and Ipswich. Looked superb each time I saw him for Ipswich, though their fans did say he made some mistakes at times.

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

Very injury prone in the past, but with a full season behind him the bigger clubs must surely be interested now.

Think I saw a stat whether accurate or not but he was second in the league for progressive passes and second for progressive runs. He is going to the big time.

Thank you both, I didn’t realise injuries were a factor. That explain a lot.

I must admit I hardly read any of the ‘facts’ about a player we are interested in, on here or elsewhere until we sign him. Too many times I’ve built my hopes up and then been disappointed. I guess I’ve also missed a lot of background info though too.

The only thing i see is that if kalas and da silva have both gone, kelly is gone as well as pisano and if webster goes too, we will be going into the season with our defense based around bailey wright.

obviously replacements would come in but the new season starts in less than 2 months and we would be relying on a totally new defense.

1 minute ago, simon uk said:

The only thing i see is that if kalas and da silva have both gone, kelly is gone as well as pisano and if webster goes too, we will be going into the season with our defense based around bailey wright.

obviously replacements would come in but the new season starts in less than 2 months and we would be relying on a totally new defense.

17/18: Bryan, Baker, Flint, Wright/Pisano 

18/19: Da SIlva/Kelly, Webster, Kalas, Hunt

19/20: ?/?/?/?

I'd like to see continuity but, we just did that last season and were ok! Oh and changed goalkeeper too. Good players can settle and play fast.

6 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I'd like to see continuity but, we just did that last season and were ok! Oh and changed goalkeeper too. Good players can settle and play fast.

Fair point, but sooner or later we will end up buying a dud and then we are in trouble. 

Harry maguire is now worth 80 mill at 26 yo. Webster is 22 and shows similar traits to Maguire if not better quality on the ball. If he gets into prem, some good performances and being touted for England will sky rocket his value. We have a big asset on our hands so let's keep developing and see how deep people's pockets are in the future.

44 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Harry maguire is now worth 80 mill at 26 yo. Webster is 22 and shows similar traits to Maguire if not better quality on the ball. If he gets into prem, some good performances and being touted for England will sky rocket his value. We have a big asset on our hands so let's keep developing and see how deep people's pockets are in the future.

Apart from Webster being 24...

40 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

It's hard to imagine Webster being anything but brilliant at prem level. Against Wolves in the cup I thought Kalas struggled at times, but Webster looked very comfortable. Though he couldn't run with the ball quite so easily, he was still doing it. We will get 15 million absolute minimum if he has another great season, and then who knows what future profit we could get ontop when he proves himself in the prem. Webster is 24 btw.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's hard to imagine Webster being anything but brilliant at prem level. Against Wolves in the cup I thought Kalas struggled at times, but Webster looked very comfortable. Though he couldn't run with the ball quite so easily, he was still doing it. We will get 15 million absolute minimum if he has another great season, and then who knows what future profit we could get ontop when he proves himself in the prem. Webster is 24 btw.

we should seriously think about getting promoted ourselves. That way we can see how he does there first hand :) C'mon.

21 hours ago, Prinny said:

That was quite lucky the way that worked out. Better players than the ones in our back five have needed time to adapt in the past, I think that’s a bit oversimplifying to say if you’re good you’ll be fine almost straight away.

11 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I think most teams will wait and see if his previous history of injuries come back to haunt him next season before spending a huge amount.

Pretty much word for word what I was going to put!! 

Another good season this year, and a failure to get promotion would probably see someone taking the punt from higher up the food chain so to speak.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

That was quite lucky the way that worked out. Better players than the ones in our back five have needed time to adapt in the past, I think that’s a bit oversimplifying to say if you’re good you’ll be fine almost straight away.

I said can rather than will because I agree there's no rule for it. I remember Vidic and Evra, when they signed in January for Man Utd and both looked like clowns.

Why is it "lucky" though? I think being able to adapt fast is part of a skill set. It's also part of the recruitment skill set to understand how long a player will take to be ready for the team.

Archived