IGNORED

Woman officals

Redmycolour

22 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Could someone tell why, women are allowed to officiate mens football, but men are not allowed to officiate woman's, as stated on England match yesterday, 

Good question.........surely it can’t be sexism, can it?        :dunno:

It's part of a FIFA project to have all Women Referees and Assistants for this world cup.

However 

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/fwwc-selected-referees-2019.pdf

You can see that many of the VAR officials are male. (Of course I am assuming their gender here! Apologies to Abdullah, Felix, Bastian, Paolo, Carlos and Danny if I'm incorrect based off of their names ? )

21 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Could someone tell why, women are allowed to officiate mens football, but men are not allowed to officiate woman's, as stated on England match yesterday, 

It might have something to do with the low number of officials in the game? I can't think of any reason why someones gender would have any influence on whether they are good enough to officiate in either game, I would imagine the rule is in place to encourage more women to get into officiating. 
I am sure it looked like VAR room was full of men though? Everyone has mentioned the decision against Scotland but the one against Nigeria was appalling.  (1.10 on this highlights reel https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48571323)

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It's part of a FIFA project to have all Women Referees and Assistants for this world cup.

However 

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/fwwc-selected-referees-2019.pdf

You can see that many of the VAR officials are male.

That's because men think that an inch or two is massive!

46 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Men are allowed to officiate in women's football, and indeed regularly do. 

However, there are no male match officials for this World Cup (apart from VAR). Similarly, I don't believe there were any female match officials at last year's men's World Cup. 

Fail to see the issue here? :dunno:

13 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

However, there are no male match officials for this World Cup (apart from VAR). Similarly, I don't believe there were any female match officials at last year's men's World Cup. 

The issue is fear that men will no longer have everything their way I think 

9 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Surely if equality is the aim why aren’t male/female officials interchangeable in all international matches?

Maybe FIFA haven’t progressed sufficiently far down the equality path yet.........

Sexism:

(actions based on) the belief that the members of one sex are less intelligentableskilful, etc. than the members of the other sex.

so its unlikely that in this case you can ever claim sexism. The above statement can be applied to men but baring in mind that women couldn’t vote until 1920 ish and weren’t really considered capable of having a career until much later, it has a much bigger influence.

It is about equality but first women amongst others need to be given as many opportunities as possible for that to turn into equality.

17 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Sexism:

(actions based on) the belief that the members of one sex are less intelligentableskilful, etc. than the members of the other sex.

so its unlikely that in this case you can ever claim sexism. The above statement can be applied to men but baring in mind that women couldn’t vote until 1920 ish and weren’t really considered capable of having a career until much later, it has a much bigger influence.

It is about equality but first women amongst others need to be given as many opportunities as possible for that to turn into equality.

Superb post. A lot of people do not get it yet 

OTIB learning chess:

Teacher: ok, so here's how the pawn moves

OTIB: alright

Teacher: and the Knight

OTIB: great, got it

Teacher: and the king

OTIB: cool, ok

Teacher: and the Queen

OTIB: sorry, the what?

Teacher: the Queen

OTIB: oh, um, right, it's just you know...

Teacher: what?

OTIB: no, no it's fine it just seems a bit like pandering to me, like, why a Queen? It's PC gone mad, I don't get it, just seems a bit obvious to me? But it's fine keep going

Teacher: Erm, ok, well, anyway it's played between two teams, white goes at this end

OTIB: I see

Teacher: and at the end is black

OTIB: ....... *Awkward shuffling*

We've had some women running the line during men's city matches, there were some nonsense remarks from members of the crowd but all in all they did as good a job as a man, and I hope to see more female officials next season. We haven't had a female ref yet have we?

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

OTIB learning chess:

Teacher: ok, so here's how the pawn moves

OTIB: alright

Teacher: and the Knight

OTIB: great, got it

Teacher: and the king

OTIB: cool, ok

Teacher: and the Queen

OTIB: sorry, the what?

Teacher: the Queen

OTIB: oh, um, right, it's just you know...

Teacher: what?

OTIB: no, no it's fine it just seems a bit like pandering to me, like, why a Queen? It's PC gone mad, I don't get it, just seems a bit obvious to me? But it's fine keep going

Teacher: Erm, ok, well, anyway it's played between two teams, white goes at this end

OTIB: I see

Teacher: and at the end is black

OTIB: ....... *Awkward shuffling*

But white still goes first though?

5 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Sexism:

I think we need to put some meat on the bones the whole male/female voting story. Lets not forget that 40% of men of voting age, 5.2 million, that weren't wealthy enough, couldn't vote until 1918. As late as 1884 only 2 in 7 men were allowed to vote. I think wealth and privilege was as big a blocker back then, and it's an even bigger obstacle now.

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

We've had some women running the line during men's city matches, there were some nonsense remarks from members of the crowd but all in all they did as good a job as a man, and I hope to see more female officials next season. We haven't had a female ref yet have we?

We haven’t, I don’t think. But the French referee in the Women’s World Cup (who is refereeing one of the games today, I believe) has just been appointed as a Ligue 1 referee for next season.

21 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh dear, otib hits yet another low with barely disguised sexism and ignorance of the wider issues.

Is this a particularly Bristol problem? From the perspective of London too many Bristolians seem stuck in something like 1955.

I very much doubt it…

28 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh dear, otib hits yet another low with barely disguised sexism and ignorance of the wider issues.

Is this a particularly Bristol problem? From the perspective of London too many Bristolians seem stuck in something like 1955.

for christs sake ivor don't go on millwalls north stand banter then...…..

1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I think we need to put some meat on the bones the whole male/female voting story. Lets not forget that 40% of men of voting age, 5.2 million, that weren't wealthy enough, couldn't vote until 1918. As late as 1884 only 2 in 7 men were allowed to vote. I think wealth and privilege was as big a blocker back then, and it's an even bigger obstacle now.

Yes wealth and privilege are a huge obstacle now but when this first bill was passed, only women over 30 were allowed to vote.

Archived