IGNORED

John Atyeo - Legend

Dilton MW FC

A DILTON LEGEND

I wanted to share the amazing comments and stories that we received over the weekend about the legend John Atyeo.

We put a very small post on facebook to make our young players at Dilton Marsh Wanderers aware of the great man that was born in our village, Dilton Marsh. Since then, we have received such a great reaction to our post that I felt we needed to share this with Bristol City fans and allow them to read the comments and stories.

Except that he was born in Standerwick where his father was a signalman. Moved to Dilton Marsh very early in life.

He played second team cricket at Somerset CCC in the days when one could only appear for a County side if born in that county.

Apart from that small matter, he was a giant of a man in stature and how he behaved. To be accredited as a legend is given too cheaply to many but it fits PJW Atyeo perfectly.

49 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Except that he was born in Standerwick where his father was a signalman. Moved to Dilton Marsh very early in life.

He played second team cricket at Somerset CCC in the days when one could only appear for a County side if born in that county.

Apart from that small matter, he was a giant of a man in stature and how he behaved. To be accredited as a legend is given too cheaply to many but it fits PJW Atyeo perfectly.

According to wiki it wasn’t Standerwick

Peter John Walter Atyeo was born at Clivey on the outskirts of Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire.[2] He went to Berkley Primary School, near Frome, Somerset after his parents had moved the short distance over the county line to Standerwick when he was about 6 months old.

10 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

According to wiki it wasn’t Standerwick

Peter John Walter Atyeo was born at Clivey on the outskirts of Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire.[2] He went to Berkley Primary School, near Frome, Somerset after his parents had moved the short distance over the county line to Standerwick when he was about 6 months old.

The authors of the biography "Atyeo, The Hero Next Door", Tom Hopegood and John Hudson stated in chapter 2 that he was born in Marsh Road, Standerwick  on Sunday February 7, 1932. The family moved to Dilton Marsh in 1937 when Dilton Marsh Halt station was opened 

I believe that they must have fully researched this before putting it in print. As I said previously, he would not have been allowed to play for Somerset CCC if he had been born in Wiltshire.

Wikipedia is thus incorrect.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The authors of the biography "Atyeo, The Hero Next Door", Tom Hopegood and John Hudson stated in chapter 2 that he was born in Marsh Road, Standerwick  on Sunday February 7, 1932. The family moved to Dilton Marsh in 1937 when Dilton Marsh Halt station was opened 

I believe that they must have fully researched this before putting it in print. As I said previously, he would not have been allowed to play for Somerset CCC if he had been born in Wiltshire.

Thanks, I wasn’t being off with my reply. I was looking into it from you you said, it’s very interesting. 

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

As I said previously, he would not have been allowed to play for Somerset CCC if he had been born in Wiltshire.

Then how did the West Indian Louis Wharton play for Somerset CCC from 1921? He was born in Trinidad.

Here’s loads more: 

https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/club-news/somersets-west-indians-part-one/

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The Independent’s obituary for him says he was born in Wiltshire ... 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-john-atyeo-1490652.html

Confusing stuff ...

So glad I saw Big John at the height of his career, when playing for England

Doubt I shall live to see the next City striker picked for England.

Having watched the Irish struggle tonight against mighty Gibraltar brought back memories when we had Irish international Dermot Curtis and England striker John Atyeo in the same team at Ashton Gate. what a time to have been a City supporter.  Great memories

14 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Having watched the Irish struggle tonight against mighty Gibraltar brought back memories when we had Irish international Dermot Curtis and England striker John Atyeo in the same team at Ashton Gate. what a time to have been a City supporter.  Great memories

Thats great, such a shame theres not video footage of our games at that time

Clivey, is between Standerwick & Dilton Marsh. It’s right on the border line of Wiltshire/Somerset. 

I have only ever known it as part of Dilton Marsh. However that isn’t to say it’s not classed as Somerset!

And theres only about a mile in between Dilton & Standerwick.

Whether he was born on the county line or in either village, the man is classed as a local legend and always will be. 

He taught me maths at Kingdown School, and was one of the nicest teachers there. 

Hopefully once we are a fully established team (as this is our first season), we will be able to do something in his name. 

17 minutes ago, Dilton MW FC said:

Clivey, is between Standerwick & Dilton Marsh. It’s right on the border line of Wiltshire/Somerset. 

I have only ever known it as part of Dilton Marsh. However that isn’t to say it’s not classed as Somerset!

Whether he was born on the county line or in either village, the man is classed as a local legend and always will be. 

He taught me maths at Kingdown School, and was one of the nicest teachers there. 

Hopefully once we are a fully established team (as this is our first season), we will be able to do something in his name. 

Clivey is in Wiltshire. John Atyeo like me is a Moonraker and not a Somerset Cuckoo. 

49 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Ivor wasn’t Tommy Casey in the side at the same time?

Memory not what it was!!!

Yes you are right. Tommy Casey played for about 5 years during the Incomparable Atyeo reign.

Lovely to read all those comments about his teaching days.  He used to sit just in front of us at Twerton Park, when he was writing for the Sunday Independent - was treated with reverence by fans when he arrived to take his seat, but was a very humble man.  I meant to get my photo taken next to his statue before the TT concert, but with all the stress of not having our tickets with us, I forgot. ☹️

Good to know that he has a street named after him in Dilton Marsh.

12 hours ago, Dilton MW FC said:

I wasn't trying to derail your post or to criticise anyone's post in any way.

I met Big John so many times at City matches while he was playing, mostly away games at the ground or travelling on the same train on the journey home. And after retirement, in the car park on his way into the ground. He was always friendly and polite, seemed to have time for everyone and having watched his career from first game in 1951 to the last in April 1966, it was a pleasure to have been around during his time in football.

I lived in Frome for a couple of years and each time I drove past his house, I said a silent and very big thank you to a great man, a true legend.  

12 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

5-1 to England at Wembley in qualifier for 1958 World Cup.

Two goals for Atyeo and One for Dermot Curtis. When will we ever see two City strikers scoring half of the goals in a full international match? 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

5-1 to England at Wembley in qualifier for 1958 World Cup.

Two goals for Atyeo and One for Dermot Curtis. When will we ever see two City strikers scoring half of the goals in a full international match? 

To be fair, City players scored 20% of the goals at the recent England v Czech Republic match at Wembley. 

15 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Only Yorkshire C.C operated this rule.

15 hours ago, simon uk said:

It seems to me that atyeo and wedlock are at a totally different level of reverence than anyone else in the history of our club

15 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

That's because they are the best players this club has produced.

I never saw Wedlock play, and neither has anyone on the forum, but his reputation with 26 England caps speaks for itself. I saw John Atyeo, and though he only had 6 England caps, he was in a different class to anyone I've watched playing for City since. When you have players as good as these their reputation lives on, even with the majority of supporters who never saw them. The reality is that over the years we haven't had many truly outstanding players. Plenty of players who had character and fight, but not combined with real outstanding ability. 

Re: where the big man was born, I suspect this is deliberately grey, its only conjecture and not based on any fact checking whatsoever, but iI think he was probably born near Dilton (Wiltshere), but he or his old man could have stratigally moved this location to the Somerset side of the border (Standerwick), to enable qualification for Somerset, once he showed promise with the bat and ball.

just my two pennies worth and another twist to add to the OTIB debate!

thanks to all the posters on this and to a great, great man and true legend of our club (whichever side of the county border he was born on!!) 

On 10/06/2019 at 20:22, cidered abroad said:

As I said previously, he would not have been allowed to play for Somerset CCC if he had been born in Wiltshire.

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Then how did the West Indian Louis Wharton play for Somerset CCC from 1921? He was born in Trinidad.

Here’s loads more: 

https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/club-news/somersets-west-indians-part-one/

No comment then @cidered abroad ??

Archived