IGNORED

John Atyeo - Legend

Dilton MW FC

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No comment then @cidered abroad ??

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok, how about our club saying he was born in Wiltshire? https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/hall-of-fame/john-atyeo/

@cidered abroad ?

I watched the great John Atyeo play on many occasions, but never had the pleasure of meeting him and, most certainly, have no idea where he was born.

@cidered abroad, however, states that he met the great man on many occasions and, based on his previous posts on many subjects, dating back decades (the subjects that is), I have no doubt whatsoever that he is relating accurately his recollection, as he recalls it.

He may be mistaken, he may not be; I have no idea.

But, and this irks me immensely, why do you need to be so antagonistic?

You are well educated and have no need to sink to such unsavoury depths.

On 10/06/2019 at 20:32, simon uk said:

It seems to me that atyeo and wedlock are at a totally different level of reverence than anyone else in the history of our club

On 11/06/2019 at 10:32, harrys said:

Gerry Gow is the only one that comes remotely close 

Wedlock played at a time well before any of us, so has a sort of historic mystique.

Atyeo played through a time when footballers were still very much men of the people, when they travelled to games on the bus with fans and usually retired to ordinary jobs or to run a pub. Were it not for a degree of manipulation at the end of Carey's career, Big Joh would still hold the record for appearances to go with goals. That along with his reputation as a man, gives him a status that I think no player will ever surpass.

Gow played in the modern era when compared to Atyeo, when footballers' image was changing. As Ive mentioned on the "legends" thread, Gow was the heartbeat of the promotion team and a bloody good player to boot. His swashbuckling style made him a hero among fans at the time, and he developed an affinity with fans that I don't think anyone one has replicated since - Scotty is probably the closest. The passing of time affords him legend status, and rightly to my mind.

29 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I watched the great John Atyeo play on many occasions, but never had the pleasure of meeting him and, most certainly, have no idea where he was born.

@cidered abroad, however, states that he met the great man on many occasions and, based on his previous posts on many subjects, dating back decades (the subjects that is), I have no doubt whatsoever that he is relating accurately his recollection, as he recalls it.

He may be mistaken, he may not be; I have no idea.

But, and this irks me immensely, why do you need to be so antagonistic?

You are well educated and have no need to sink to such unsavoury depths.

I apologise if I come across in that way to you ... but don’t you think it’s a bit rude when, after asking a polite question, to then be ignored? 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Wedlock played at a time well before any of us, so has a sort of historic mystique.

Atyeo played through a time when footballers were still very much men of the people, when they travelled to games on the bus with fans and usually retired to ordinary jobs or to run a pub. Were it not for a degree of manipulation at the end of Carey's career, Big Joh would still hold the record for appearances to go with goals. That along with his reputation as a man, gives him a status that I think no player will ever surpass.

Gow played in the modern era when compared to Atyeo, when footballers' image was changing. As Ive mentioned on the "legends" thread, Gow was the heartbeat of the promotion team and a bloody good player to boot. His swashbuckling style made him a hero among fans at the time, and he developed an affinity with fans that I don't think anyone one has replicated since - Scotty is probably the closest. The passing of time affords him legend status, and rightly to my mind.

It annoys me that Carey was allowed to beat Atyeo’s record if only on behalf of my long departed dear old dad who absolutely idolised ‘Big John’

9 minutes ago, harrys said:

It annoys me that Carey was allowed to beat Atyeo’s record if only on behalf of my long departed dear old dad who absolutely idolised ‘Big John’

Got some sympathy with that view - was it Michael Clarke who retired his innings when he was in danger of emulating one of Sir Don Bradman’s records because he didn’t think he was worthy? Hope I didn’t imagine that, if true it was a superb gesture ... in a similar way, I actually thought Wayne Rooney was a brill player, but it felt a bit weird when he beat Bobby Charlton’s scoring record for England - I still think Lineker deliberately missed that pen against Brazil which would have taken him level with Bobby - some legends deserve to remain on their pedestals ...

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:26, spudski said:

Big John playing for City v Rovers 1958. All his England games are on this site as well...enjoy.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/battle-of-bristol-city-v-rovers/query/Bristol+city+John+atyeo

Oh thank God for that, without this footage I was half expecting NTTDS to appear with his recreation Subbuteo kit.! :) 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Got some sympathy with that view - was it Michael Clarke who retired his innings when he was in danger of emulating one of Sir Don Bradman’s records because he didn’t think he was worthy? Hope I didn’t imagine that, if true it was a superb gesture ... in a similar way, I actually thought Wayne Rooney was a brill player, but it felt a bit weird when he beat Bobby Charlton’s scoring record for England - I still think Lineker deliberately missed that pen against Brazil which would have taken him level with Bobby - some legends deserve to remain on their pedestals ...

Well said

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not quite. He retired the innings to give the team the best chance of winning, rather than out of respect for Bradman (or Lara). But it was pretty selfless nonetheless. 

On 11/06/2019 at 20:33, BS4 on Tour... said:

No comment then @cidered abroad ??

@BS4 on Tour...

Sorry for the delay and I'm not ignoring you. I did not want a thread about the great John Atyeo to be derailed by an argument about where he was born.

I grew up in an era where one had to wade through libraries for small facts. So when I was told, as a very young boy, that one had to be born in a county to play first class cricket for that county, I accepted it at face value. Until a few days ago. Why I never queried it before I do not know because a big hero of mine was Tom Graveney, an old boy of the school I went to, and a star for Gloucestershire CCC and England. He was born in Northumberland!

It transpires that I was told part of the law and it continued "or in the county of current residence". The law was changed in 1968 to allow counties to register one overseas player. 

I knew other City fans who had talked with John and he always said he was from Wiltshire. He probably felt that he was more Wiltshire than Somerset. I was born in Southmead Hospital, brought up in South Glos but have always felt more Bristolian as Filton is only just across the border. The opposite to John?

Yet the authors of the book I referred to "ATYEO the hero next door" would surely have done research and have quoted an address in Somerset, only by a very short distance, and not in Wiltshire. He played for Somerset Second XI. To do this if he had been born in Wiltshire and resident in Wiltshire, he would not have been allowed by the cricketing authorities. One must assume therefore, that PJW Atyeo was born in Somerset but having lived most of his life in Dilton Marsh, considered himself a Moonraker.

I apologise if I upset anyone with my original post. Also remember that not all Wikipedia data is accurate. It can be altered by anyone at any time.

As for the original post of this thread, we should always remember John Atyeo as the best footballer Bristol City have ever had. To play 15 seasons and be top scorer in the majority of them, to play for England six times, scoring five goals against countries like Brasil and Spain, to never have been booked or sent off, will never be achieved by anyone, in my opinion.

He was a kind, gentle man off the field, a hard worker on the pitch and those of us who watched him from 1951 to 1966 are very privileged to have done so. I genuinely believe that his legacy to Bristol City and supporters, is that we want to win in style, to accept defeat and "play the game".  

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@BS4 on Tour...

Sorry for the delay and I'm not ignoring you. I did not want a thread about the great John Atyeo to be derailed by an argument about where he was born.

I grew up in an era where one had to wade through libraries for small facts. So when I was told, as a very young boy, that one had to be born in a county to play first class cricket for that county, I accepted it at face value. Until a few days ago. Why I never queried it before I do not know because a big hero of mine was Tom Graveney, an old boy of the school I went to, and a star for Gloucestershire CCC and England. He was born in Northumberland!

It transpires that I was told part of the law and it continued "or in the county of current residence". The law was changed in 1968 to allow counties to register one overseas player. 

I knew other City fans who had talked with John and he always said he was from Wiltshire. He probably felt that he was more Wiltshire than Somerset. I was born in Southmead Hospital, brought up in South Glos but have always felt more Bristolian as Filton is only just across the border. The opposite to John?

Yet the authors of the book I referred to "ATYEO the hero next door" would surely have done research and have quoted an address in Somerset, only by a very short distance, and not in Wiltshire. He played for Somerset Second XI. To do this if he had been born in Wiltshire and resident in Wiltshire, he would not have been allowed by the cricketing authorities. One must assume therefore, that PJW Atyeo was born in Somerset but having lived most of his life in Dilton Marsh, considered himself a Moonraker.

I apologise if I upset anyone with my original post. Also remember that not all Wikipedia data is accurate. It can be altered by anyone at any time.

As for the original post of this thread, we should always remember John Atyeo as the best footballer Bristol City have ever had. To play 15 seasons and be top scorer in the majority of them, to play for England six times, scoring five goals against countries like Brasil and Spain, to never have been booked or sent off, will never be achieved by anyone, in my opinion.

He was a kind, gentle man off the field, a hard worker on the pitch and those of us who watched him from 1951 to 1966 are very privileged to have done so. I genuinely believe that his legacy to Bristol City and supporters, is that we want to win in style, to accept defeat and "play the game".  

I appreciate the response, cheers.

I’m still not sure you’ve got it correct about only players being born in Somerset being able to play for Somerset CCC back then.

My original post gave examples of players born outside the county, and country, who played for Somerset CCC before John, around the same time and after his era.

And none of my posts quoted anything from Wiki - I agree that’s not a reliable source.

Anyway, cheers for the response again...

Archived