IGNORED

How many true club legends do we have?

reddogkev

There's a difference between a "legend" and a "cult hero". There's also naturally a huge amount of subjectivity and context to be taken into account. In my opinion for example Atyeo is a legend, Flint is more of a cult hero.

Take Carey. He's the record appearance holder so as some here say should naturally be on the list. However, how many of those final 20 or so appearances were...how do you say this..."token" appearances given to him to get him over the line? Just as an example number 646 was an 87th minute sub appearance made when we were 4-1 up at home to Stevenage. Now even without appearances such as that he'd still be number 2 on the list, he'd still be a club developed player, and he'd still have been part of a promotion side, but you need to look at broader context.

For what it is worth this is a link to the "Hall of Fame" on the OS. https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/hall-of-fame/ most of those already mentioned are in there, along with the likes of Eisentrager, Mickey Bell, Cheesley and others.

To me the word ‘legend’ applies only to those players who fans still talk about years after they’ve retired and to me, not having seen Atyeo actually play only one springs immediately to mind - Gerry Gow RIP.

I have to say that the other player who I would consider close to legendary status would be Scot Murray. 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To me the word ‘legend’ applies only to those players who fans still talk about years after they’ve retired and to me, not having seen Atyeo actually play only one springs immediately to mind - Gerry Gow RIP.

I have to say that the other player who I would consider close to legendary status would be Scot Murray. 

Bingo. You have to be something real special to be considered a club legend. It’s a term that gets thrown around too much these day. Might be harsh, but I’d say the only 3 below are considered club legends. Yes you could add Billy Wedlock. 

John Atyeo

Gerry Gow

Scott Murray 

9 minutes ago, alandicks said:

Surely the promotion team of 1976 as a whole ?

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Talk to almost any fan from the 70s about that promotion team and the first player they invariably mention is Gerry Gow.

Bearing in mind that there were a few players in that team that could justifiably be considered as "legends" - Tim Richie, Geoff Merrick and the often forgotten Trevor Tainton - Gerry Gow stood out as somehow representing the heartbeat of that team. He also had connection with fans that few players have replicated since.

To me legendary players are those that still get talked about with high praise many, many years after they leave the club. 

Different for everyone I guess, and this is my personal interpretation, so if I am lucky enough to have grandchildren I'll tell them about 

Aden Flint 

Aaron Wilbraham 

Albert Adomah 

Lewis Carey 

My father in law will tell them about the players before my time 

Edit. Korey Smith ... maybe JET if I'm.feeling particularity nostalgic. 

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

To me legendary players are those that still get talked about with high praise many, many years after they leave the club. 

Different for everyone I guess, and this is my personal interpretation, so if I am lucky enough to have grandchildren I'll tell them about 

Aden Flint 

Aaron Wilbraham 

Albert Adomah 

Lewis Carey 

My father in law will tell them about the players before my time 

I don’t talk about any of those  - nowhere near legendary status imv.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What?          :rofl2br:

Remind me how goals he scored for City..........:cool2:

Don't know but I just thought he was a bit of a legend with City fans. I don't decide who is a legend.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's a difference between a "legend" and a "cult hero". There's also naturally a huge amount of subjectivity and context to be taken into account. In my opinion for example Atyeo is a legend, Flint is more of a cult hero.

Take Carey. He's the record appearance holder so as some here say should naturally be on the list. However, how many of those final 20 or so appearances were...how do you say this..."token" appearances given to him to get him over the line? Just as an example number 646 was an 87th minute sub appearance made when we were 4-1 up at home to Stevenage. Now even without appearances such as that he'd still be number 2 on the list, he'd still be a club developed player, and he'd still have been part of a promotion side, but you need to look at broader context.

For what it is worth this is a link to the "Hall of Fame" on the OS. https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/hall-of-fame/ most of those already mentioned are in there, along with the likes of Eisentrager, Mickey Bell, Cheesley and others.

I prefer hall of fame. Legend means different things to different people. 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't know but I just thought he was a bit of a legend with City fans. I don't decide who is a legend.

Absolute waste of space. A few tricks and the occasional 30 yard shot was all he was about.  He had no idea what ‘team’ meant.

Norman was pretty legendary (in my book) I remember him signing and thinking, **** me! A real big star and household football name has signed for us. This just doesn't happen :laugh:. it's all about people's personal memories if you ask me. I think we've had lots of legends through the years.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Robbored is the Craig Revell-Horwood of legend judging.

As usual, some really good comments, cheers all. 

There's definitely a lot of cult icons appearing on the thread - like Jacki for example, and yep I'd say Flint is a cult icon.  It seems that Super Scotty Murray is getting quite a few nods as a Legend, which sounds fair to me.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Buster and Beryl

2 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

Alan Dicks would probably be in there

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Tinnion, Murray and Carey in my time of watching. 

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Marina Dolman's Rolls.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Colin Daniel 

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Anybody with over 400 appearances which means roughly over 10 years at the club could be a good place to start

1 Louis Carey1995–2004; 2005–2014, 646

2 John Atyeo1951–1966, 645

3 Trevor Tainton1967–1982.  581

4 Brian Tinnion1993–2005, 551

5 Tom Ritchie1972–1981; 1983–1985, 504

6 Gerry Sweeney1971–1981, 490

7 Rob Newman1981–1991, 483

8 Gerry Gow1969–1981, 445

9 Geoff Merrick1967–1982, 433

10 Scott Murray1997–2003; 2004–2009 , 427

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

derryn coller

ken sage

bob boyd

apologies for any I missed for getting us out of the shit......

All of the above plus Chris Garland, Fatty Wedlock, Cheese among a few others.

Of the current squad who has the potential to become a legend? I think Korey Smith has the greatest chance. If he can avoid further serious injury and stays with us until retirement then he could yet reach 400 appearances. He's currently on 172 at the age of 28 so would need to get another 228 - or 46 a season over 5 seasons...a tough ask but not impossible. He was part of the League 1 double winning team in 14/15 and of course ascended to immortality by sticking one through Romero's legs on 20 December 2017. Rarely does he have a truly bad game, conducts himself well off the pitch and fans seem to like him.

Needs to stay fit, consistent and of course at the club, but for me he's the one that could join the pantheon of greats in due course.

Just now, reddogkev said:

There's definitely a lot of cult icons appearing on the thread - like Jacki for example, and yep I'd say Flint is a cult icon.  It seems that Super Scotty Murray is getting quite a few nods as a Legend, which sounds fair to me.

I think Scotty gets bonus points for continuing his involvement with the club and for being really good at washing and ironing football kits. Jokes aside he just has a great rapport with the fans and that only builds his status.

3 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Don’t mince your words will you? ?

I quite liked him. And his tricks. Up Park Street ?

I used to see him staggering out of the Adam& Eve in Chappell Hill  on a regular basis. He couldn’t walk in a straight line.

16 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I also think many players are heroes, and especially to younger fans, but that is not the same as being a legend.

In my youth Paul Cheesley was a hero, but his lack of longevity denies him legend status. 

Archived