reddogkev

9 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Trevor Tainton.  Always flew under the radar, but:

A product of our youth system 

Third highest appearances in club history 

Important part of 76 promotion team.

Regular starter in top division. 

and he put mickey droy on his arse......I was there

For me club legends have to either have done something that is astounding like Atyeo or they have to be a player that a younger generation idolise and will grow up still believing they were one of the best players they have ever seen wear the shirt. This is then passed on to future generations (for example i didn’t see Gow play but consider him a legend- i take this from how highly people still rate him).

To me legends are made on the play ground where kids imitate and worship them. Imagine how many pretended to drop the shoulder, cut inside and smash the ball into Mildenhalls top corner from 25 yards? Would i call JET a legend? - debatable. But would a 13 year kid who was watching him that day call him one when they reach my age? - there is every chance... A screamer against the Gas, a 1 in 2 ratio of goals or asists and part of the double winning team.

My point being that every generation will have players they consider legends that previous generations might scoff at as they will never compare in their eyes to players they watched in their youth.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Buster Footman - how many other physios in the history of the game were regularly serenaded round the pitch by the fans

How many ‘physios’ had zero professional qualifications?

It highlights just how poorly run the cub used to be...........:disapointed2se:

The sad news is that Buster has advanced alzheimer’s..........he no longer recognises anyone.

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Carey is seldom the first name that springs to mind when threads such as this arise on OTIB. For some reason fans, including me, never seemed to warm to him as much as they have say, to Scotty.

Louis of course deserves recognition in everyone’s list. 

John Galley would always make my own top twenty as would Chris Garland.

He did leave us for coventry mind

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

To me the word ‘legend’ applies only to those players who fans still talk about years after they’ve retired and to me, not having seen Atyeo actually play only one springs immediately to mind - Gerry Gow RIP.

I have to say that the other player who I would consider close to legendary status would be Scot Murray. 

Surely it doesn’t matter if you’ve seen them play, by your own definition..?! 

Tinnion, Murray, Carey for me. 

Nobody else come close since I've been watching. 

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Of the current squad who has the potential to become a legend? I think Korey Smith has the greatest chance. If he can avoid further serious injury and stays with us until retirement then he could yet reach 400 appearances. He's currently on 172 at the age of 28 so would need to get another 228 - or 46 a season over 5 seasons...a tough ask but not impossible. He was part of the League 1 double winning team in 14/15 and of course ascended to immortality by sticking one through Romero's legs on 20 December 2017. Rarely does he have a truly bad game, conducts himself well off the pitch and fans seem to like him.

Needs to stay fit, consistent and of course at the club, but for me he's the one that could join the pantheon of greats in due course.

I actually think Pack is best placed to hit 400 appearances for us. On 234 now according to wiki. 

13 hours ago, Tomo said:

I guess in my time...and they may not be legends, but more like my stand out hero's and players for the level they were playing:-

Norman Hunter
Glyn Riley
Alan Walsh
Super Bob
Jacki
Cole
Tins
JET
Tammy

Can Tammy be a club legend when he was never a City player ? 

Is not one of the problems in judging who qualifies as a legend, the simple fact  that, from the "modern" era, Atyeo stands head and shoulders above everyone else? 

18 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

To me legendary players are those that still get talked about with high praise many, many years after they leave the club. 

Different for everyone I guess, and this is my personal interpretation, so if I am lucky enough to have grandchildren I'll tell them about 

Aden Flint 

Aaron Wilbraham 

Albert Adomah 

Lewis Carey 

My father in law will tell them about the players before my time 

Edit. Korey Smith ... maybe JET if I'm.feeling particularity nostalgic. 

I really want to believe that isn't a typo and you actually do mean Lewis, rather than Louis!

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So John Atyeo isn’t a club legend..?! 

That’s not what I said............:cool2:

Atyeo is the only City player to play for England and is Citys all time leading goalscorer. Of course he qualifies as a club legend.

Unfortunately I don’t remember ever seeing  him play.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s not what I said............:cool2:

Atyeo is the only City player to play for England and is Citys all time leading goalscorer. Of course he qualifies as a club legend.

Unfortunately I don’t remember ever seeing  him play.

Billy Wedlock played for England too ?

Archived