IGNORED

How many true club legends do we have?

reddogkev

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I actually think Pack is best placed to hit 400 appearances for us. On 234 now according to wiki. 

True, he's comfortably the most senior player right now. However in my opinion he won't be the one from this team/era that is talked about in 30 years time. I don't think that loads of appearances should be enough, on its own, to grant a player legendary status.

32 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

As a 'judge' cant you accept a majority verdict from the OTIB jury? 

As a judge it’s about weighting the evidence...........so far there are two/three that most agree on  - Atyeo, Gow and Murray.

I don’t disagree with any of those.

I’ve come to this thread late and haven’t read it all, so apologies if I repeat anything that’s already been said. 

It would seem to me that Atyeo and Wedlock would be indisputable legends because of their length of service and England caps earned while City players (also for Atyeo his incredible goal tally). 

Taken from the club website the following players played over 400 games for the club so should probably earn legend status because of that:

646 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-2014)
645 - John Atyeo (1951-66) 
581 - Trevor Tainton (1967-82) 
551 - Brian Tinnion (1993-2005)
504 - Tom Ritchie (1972-81; 1983-85) 
490 - Gerry Sweeney (1971-82) 
483 - Rob Newman (1981-91)

445 - Gerry Gow (1969-81) 
433 - Geoff Merrick (1967-82) 
426 - Ivor Guy (1946-57) 
426 - Scott Murray (1997-2004; 2005-2009) 
415 - Mike Thresher (1954-65) 
408 - Jack Connor (1960-71)

Personally I’d add Terry Cooper because of his incredible devotion during such hard times for the club. Also Beryl Fudge, who so many of us have memories of. 

Harry Dolman is synonymous with the club so him too. I also think Steve Lansdown earns his place  - he has been a key part of Bristol City for a long time and has a lasting legacy with the re-built Ashton Gate. 

Finally the likes of Les Kew, Deryn Coller, Des Williams (who had a stand named after him) etc who were involved in City’s rise from the ashes I regard as club legends  

Other than that it’s more subjective. Growing up watching City in the 1980s the likes of Walshy, Riley,  Neville, and Bob Taylor are legends in my eyes. As for my Dad, he still raves about John Galley and Chris Crowe. 

On 11/06/2019 at 17:02, Robbored said:

To me the word ‘legend’ applies only to those players who fans still talk about years after they’ve retired and to me, not having seen Atyeo actually play only one springs immediately to mind - Gerry Gow RIP.

I have to say that the other player who I would consider close to legendary status would be Scot Murray. 

Who?

Do you mean Scott Murray?

For me there’s a difference between being the one of the best players to play for a club and being a club legend. Obviously like Atyeo you can be both. In my lifetime one of the best players I’ve seen play for City is Nicky Maynard is he a legend definitely not. I’d say Korey Smith is a city legend but then definitely not one of the best player I’ve seen play for city.

I think context matters a lot. I’d say you can be a legend through being city through and through and making a lot of appearances like Carey. Being a cult hero like Flint or scoring a memorable and important goal e.g Tinnion or Korey Smith.

I like the thought you can become a club legend in a instance. If for example one of our players scores the winning goal at the playoff final to take us to the prem they would automatically become a club legend to me.

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Andy llewellyn would often visit ill city fans in hospital.

Alex lockhart would play football with the local kids every single day he was there in the car park.

He was a gent.

I’m sorry but Andy L was probably just checking that their dwellings were uninhabited. 

His good works are largely spoilt by his part in burglary crime .

why Andy ? 

14 hours ago, Offside said:

I’ve come to this thread late and haven’t read it all, so apologies if I repeat anything that’s already been said. 

It would seem to me that Atyeo and Wedlock would be indisputable legends because of their length of service and England caps earned while City players (also for Atyeo his incredible goal tally). 

Taken from the club website the following players played over 400 games for the club so should probably earn legend status because of that:

646 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-2014)
645 - John Atyeo (1951-66) 
581 - Trevor Tainton (1967-82) 
551 - Brian Tinnion (1993-2005)
504 - Tom Ritchie (1972-81; 1983-85) 
490 - Gerry Sweeney (1971-82) 
483 - Rob Newman (1981-91)

445 - Gerry Gow (1969-81) 
433 - Geoff Merrick (1967-82) 
426 - Ivor Guy (1946-57) 
426 - Scott Murray (1997-2004; 2005-2009) 
415 - Mike Thresher (1954-65) 
408 - Jack Connor (1960-71)

Personally I’d add Terry Cooper because of his incredible devotion during such hard times for the club. Also Beryl Fudge, who so many of us have memories of. 

Harry Dolman is synonymous with the club so him too. I also think Steve Lansdown earns his place  - he has been a key part of Bristol City for a long time and has a lasting legacy with the re-built Ashton Gate. 

Finally the likes of Les Kew, Deryn Coller, Des Williams (who had a stand named after him) etc who were involved in City’s rise from the ashes I regard as club legends  

Other than that it’s more subjective. Growing up watching City in the 1980s the likes of Walshy, Riley,  Neville, and Bob Taylor are legends in my eyes. As for my Dad, he still raves about John Galley and Chris Crowe. 

Just reading through the thread, and appreciate the detail you've put into this response.  I find it very interesting looking back on former 'legendary' players, so thanks for your quality reply.

Archived