Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

reddogkev

How many true club legends do we have?

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Andy llewellyn would often visit ill city fans in hospital.

Alex lockhart would play football with the local kids every single day he was there in the car park.

He was a gent.

I’m sorry but Andy L was probably just checking that their dwellings were uninhabited. 

His good works are largely spoilt by his part in burglary crime .

why Andy ? 

Why Andy?

Ten years service?

He did a stupid thing major yes, everybody knows that.

Il think of the postive things he did.

He was always commited on the pitch and deserves a 2nd chance in life.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Offside said:

I’ve come to this thread late and haven’t read it all, so apologies if I repeat anything that’s already been said. 

It would seem to me that Atyeo and Wedlock would be indisputable legends because of their length of service and England caps earned while City players (also for Atyeo his incredible goal tally). 

Taken from the club website the following players played over 400 games for the club so should probably earn legend status because of that:

646 - Louis Carey (1995-2004; 2005-2014)
645 - John Atyeo (1951-66) 
581 - Trevor Tainton (1967-82) 
551 - Brian Tinnion (1993-2005)
504 - Tom Ritchie (1972-81; 1983-85) 
490 - Gerry Sweeney (1971-82) 
483 - Rob Newman (1981-91)

445 - Gerry Gow (1969-81) 
433 - Geoff Merrick (1967-82) 
426 - Ivor Guy (1946-57) 
426 - Scott Murray (1997-2004; 2005-2009) 
415 - Mike Thresher (1954-65) 
408 - Jack Connor (1960-71)

Personally I’d add Terry Cooper because of his incredible devotion during such hard times for the club. Also Beryl Fudge, who so many of us have memories of. 

Harry Dolman is synonymous with the club so him too. I also think Steve Lansdown earns his place  - he has been a key part of Bristol City for a long time and has a lasting legacy with the re-built Ashton Gate. 

Finally the likes of Les Kew, Deryn Coller, Des Williams (who had a stand named after him) etc who were involved in City’s rise from the ashes I regard as club legends  

Other than that it’s more subjective. Growing up watching City in the 1980s the likes of Walshy, Riley,  Neville, and Bob Taylor are legends in my eyes. As for my Dad, he still raves about John Galley and Chris Crowe. 

Just reading through the thread, and appreciate the detail you've put into this response.  I find it very interesting looking back on former 'legendary' players, so thanks for your quality reply.

• Thanks 1