IGNORED

I met Ray Cashley last night

The Saturday Boy

6 minutes ago, Masala said:

He's involved in Weston Super Mare FC and called round to the parents to collect their subs for the monthly draw. Of course I had to tell him I saw him score for City against Hull in 1973. For those young uns, he was a goalkeeper hence a special goal!! 

hope he didnt drop the money

1 hour ago, Masala said:

He's involved in Weston Super Mare FC and called round to the parents to collect their subs for the monthly draw. Of course I had to tell him I saw him score for City against Hull in 1973. For those young uns, he was a goalkeeper hence a special goal!! 

I recall also

During the 1970’s my mother and father were in a local supermarket.  They were at the checkout loading groceries.  My mother looked up and saw a young chap she thought she recognised as being one of my older brothers friends.  She said “Hello my love, how are you?”  The young chap said hello and that he was fine.  They carried on loading the groceries into the bags, and my father, laughing, asked my mother who she thought it was, she explained she couldn’t put a name to his face but he was one of my older brother’s mates.  My dad told her who it was, and after giving it some thought, they realised she knew his face from City players photos around my bedroom walls.

Great memories of those days.

10 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

They only mid week afternoon game I can recall during the 3day week/power cuts, which City were involved in, was the Leeds away cup game?

Yeah remember that day so well. Was  Tuesday Afternoon KO. Was at collage day release thing in Torquay, got back to Newton Abbot bus station and bought the Herald Express, and there it was in Stop Press,. Unbeaten all season Leeds 0-1 Bristol City.

Well it didn't say unbeaten Leeds but that's how it read to me.!!!! 

51 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Can't remerber that Ang, can't recall Fear ever scoring a hat trick.

I'm probably wrong need Slarti or one of the statos to confirm.

26th February 1974.

City 5 Millwall 2

Tuesday afternoon one week after the Leeds victory.’

I remember it being a Keith Fear hat trick too, and just under 10k in the ground iirc.

First time I ever heard ‘in the Millwall slums’.

11 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

On a Tuesday afternoon during the power strikes ?

11 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

Agreed, a Tuesday night game if I remember correctly, but a long time ago!!

If it was a night game  during the power strike , no wonder he scored!

1 hour ago, Angmering Red said:

The Millwall and Leeds games were afternoon kick offs during the power strikes but the Hull game was definately under lights, as confirmed by Cidered Abroad farther up the thread

Most definitely a night game, wet as well as very windy.

Pitch brightly lit with the floodlights also illuminating the rain as it fell.

Action on the pitch lit up, in stark contrast to the crowd in the dark stands

A proper traditional ‘Ashton Gate under the lights’ experience, so much more atmospheric than these days of brightly lit stands, and the memory of Cashley’s extraordinary goal all the more vivid for that.

Archived