Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Taz

USA 13 Thailand 0 (Womens world cup)

Recommended Posts

If you haven't seen the goals, it's worth watching the highlights just to see the Thailand keepers "attempts" at keeping them out.

It's a shame because a few of the goals aren't bad, but the reaction (or lack of) from the keeper takes the attention away from everything else. This is why womens football is overlooked a lot of the time IMO.

I've only seen them because the video came up on my facebook this morning, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Taz said:

If you haven't seen the goals, it's worth watching the highlights just to see the Thailand keepers "attempts" at keeping them out.

It's a shame because a few of the goals aren't bad, but the reaction (or lack of) from the keeper takes the attention away from everything else. This is why womens football is overlooked a lot of the time IMO.

I've only seen them because the video came up on my facebook this morning, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

Thailand’s team is probably the equivalent of PNG in the men’s game, they are amateurs, not even part-timers. When the game improves these teams will either have to go with it or more likely, not qualify. 

To demean the game because of the performance of a team like that is taking an easy shot at a static target.

Germany beat Estonia 8-0 last night by the way, I haven’t seen the goals, so I won’t comment on the performance of the Estonian players, other to say you would think it was below standard.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Do that and you wouldn't get this sort of embarrassment.

I might even become interested as I am in women's tennis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Do that and you wouldn't get this sort of embarrassment.

I might even become interested as I am in women's tennis.

Yeah they need to do something especially with the goals. Whenever I see highlights of women's football it's the goalkeepers that are shocking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game and Estonia comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Do that and you wouldn't get this sort of embarrassment.

I might even become interested as I am in women's tennis.

Added to that for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tournament has, apart from last night been relatively low scoring. As PSR said, Germany beat Estonia 8-0 last night and we beat Panama 6-1 at the World Cup (could have been 13-1!) gulfs in quality exist across both genders.

“I’ve only seen it because it came up on Facebook” kind of absolves all knowledge on the quality of the rest of the tournament.

Feels like a pointless stick to try and beat the woman’s game tbh, on the whole the keepers skill set does not seem to have developed as quickly as the outfield players for some reason but this was also the same in the men’s game! maybe only in the last 30 years has goalkeeping been taken really seriously. but I have also seen some fantastic saves in the tournament. 

Men’s game will always have had a 100 year head start, a head start enforced, by men.

It’s the Same game, played by a different sex. It’s about time people stopped constantly picking holes with lazy casual sexism and analysed it without the men’s game in their mind. Or don’t, it’s up to individuals but thankfully in a generation or so these comparisons will cease to matter.

 

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the opposition was weak, but the USA played some really good football. Look out England, because I could see them being soundly beaten too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

The tournament has, apart from last night been relatively low scoring. As PSR said, Germany beat Estonia 8-0 last night and we beat Panama 6-1 at the World Cup (could have been 13-1!) gulfs in quality exist across both genders.

“I’ve only seen it because it came up on Facebook” kind of absolves all knowledge on the quality of the rest of the tournament.

Feels like a pointless stick to try and beat the woman’s game tbh, on the whole the keepers skill set does not seem to have developed as quickly as the outfield players for some reason but this was also the same in the men’s game! maybe only in the last 30 years has goalkeeping been taken really seriously. but I have also seen some fantastic saves in the tournament. 

Men’s game will always have had a 100 year head start, a head start enforced, by men.

It’s the Same game, played by a different sex. It’s about time people stopped constantly picking holes with lazy casual sexism and analysed it without the men’s game in their mind. Or don’t, it’s up to individuals but thankfully in a generation or so these comparisons will cease to matter.

 

Germany beat Brazil 7-1 at the world cup

 

 

 

in the semi final

 

 

 

 

in Brazil

 

 

 

in the men's game!

 

 

And it could have been 10.

 

 

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Yes the opposition was weak, but the USA played some really good football. Look out England, because I could see them being soundly beaten too.

Agreed, the arrogance of the men’s team ‘golden generation’ in the 00s seems to be a little reflected in this woman’s team.

hard to see past France tbh, they were relentless in their first game and will be interesting to see what they do against Norway today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leveller said:

. Look out England, because I could see them being soundly beaten too.

Really? The lionesses drew 2-2 with the USA in the USA on March 2nd this year on their way to winning the she believes cup.

Edited by Barry Sheene
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Think elements of the womens game are obviously of a technically  high standard........but in general the standard of keeping prevents me from watching it. When they start unearthing some serious goalkeeping talent throughout the game

it will make a big difference

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Really? The lionesses drew 2-2 with the USA in the USA on March 2nd this year on their way to winning the she believes cup.

.... and were by far the better side that day too.

I had to laugh at the way the USA team celebrated every goal like it was a winning goal in the world cup final, no humility there milking the 10th. 11th etc

I wonder back in America how many are confused that their "World Series" doesn't have countries in it yet the "Soccer World Cup" does . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Think elements of the womens game are obviously of a technically  high standard........but in general the standard of keeping prevents me from watching it. When they start unearthing some serious goalkeeping talent throughout the game

it will make a big difference

Well there have already been some good saves and more confident goalkeeping, but unfortunately as you are apparently not watching it, so you haven't seen the improvement. It's also strange to not watch a game when only 9.09% of the players involved fall below your standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Think elements of the womens game are obviously of a technically  high standard........but in general the standard of keeping prevents me from watching it. When they start unearthing some serious goalkeeping talent throughout the game

it will make a big difference

I think that the Thai keeper was a pretty terrible example to be honest. Agreed the standard of keeping isn't great but worth watching some of the saves the Chile keeper made against Sweden. Much much higher standard (helps that she isn't 5'5")

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48597731

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Agreed, the arrogance of the men’s team ‘golden generation’ in the 00s seems to be a little reflected in this woman’s team.

hard to see past France tbh, they were relentless in their first game and will be interesting to see what they do against Norway today

Play football, I expect.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

I think that the Thai keeper was a pretty terrible example to be honest. Agreed the standard of keeping isn't great but worth watching some of the saves the Chile keeper made against Sweden. Much much higher standard (helps that she isn't 5'5")

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48597731

Chile are a great example of why the women's game is still getting negative reviews, they have only just started getting the kind of funding and recognition required to promote any sport. If you have 5  minutes read this piece about their "journey". 

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-06-06/chile-s-historic-first-world-cup-appearance-tells-much-larger-story-women-s

If you haven't, just this one paragraph will give you an idea of what they were up against.

"For decades, the national federation consistently underfunded women’s soccer: Women played on fields only when the men weren’t using them and didn’t have their own locker rooms. For away games, the women flew coach; meanwhile, the men flew business. And at the elite club level, things were even worse. It always felt like we got the leftovers from the boys' and men’s teams. The uniforms they weren’t using were the ones we were using. We didn’t have anything. We had ourselves and our desire to play and to be there,” said Rothfeld, who also played at Universidad Católica, one of the best club teams in the country. Unlike the male players, who get paid to play on the team, Rothfeld had to pay to be on it.

Women wanting to play soccer in Chile have an uphill battle, as they’re up against a longstanding machista culture that thinks women should stay off the field. “Once I got injured and went to the doctors and he said this happened to you because you were playing something that is not meant for you,” Rothfeld said.

Brenda Elsey, a professor at Hofstra University, recently wrote the book “Futbolera: A History of Women and Sports in Latin America.” During her research, she came across comments such as: "Women’s soccer is terrible for marriages," "women become confident," "they get muscles that look like men," and "they are much less obedient as spouses."

In the summer of 2016, conditions for women’s soccer took a dive: Chile’s women’s national team was kicked off the official FIFA rankings and deemed “inactive” because the Chilean soccer federation more or less forgot about the women’s team and didn’t schedule a single match for two years."

Edited by Port Said Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I think that the Thai keeper was a pretty terrible example to be honest. Agreed the standard of keeping isn't great but worth watching some of the saves the Chile keeper made against Sweden. Much much higher standard (helps that she isn't 5'5")

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48597731

Indeed, she is almost 6 feet tall.

Christiane Endler, the Chilean goalkeeper to whom you refer, is recognised as a top class goalkeeper and actually plays professionally here in France, for Paris Saint Germain.

As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, The Thai players are, in fact, amateur.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Do that and you wouldn't get this sort of embarrassment.

I might even become interested as I am in women's tennis.

oh do grow up. this is 2019 not 1819. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HanwellRed said:

oh do grow up. this is 2019 not 1819. 

The year matters not.

There is no requirement to be interested in all sports or see men's and women's sports as equivalent.

There is no natural progression to everyone being equally interested in men's and women's football.  Women's football has been far more popular in the past than it is now.

It might get bigger or it might dwindle away back into amateur status.

However much certain people seem to think that their vision of the future is how it's going to be there is only one certainty: they are wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Yeah they need to do something especially with the goals. Whenever I see highlights of women's football it's the goalkeepers that are shocking 

I worked with a woman who coached at a league club and even she used to lament the inability (even the better ones) of female keepers. She had been involved at a high level in the women’s game for 20 years, and she said still couldn’t work it out.

Having seen players from City’s woman’s academy who can tell how technically good they are and how quickly the game and talent is developing, but even here the goal keeping is just plain bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The year matters not.

There is no requirement to be interested in all sports or see men's and women's sports as equivalent.

There is no natural progression to everyone being equally interested in men's and women's football.  Women's football has been far more popular in the past than it is now.

It might get bigger or it might dwindle away back into amateur status.

However much certain people seem to think that their vision of the future is how it's going to be there is only one certainty: they are wrong.

There is some truth in this. I genuinely only support Bristol city, I’m not interested in the prem or champs league.

Yet because it’s football I feel like I’ve got to support it.

The irony is my mum bangs about the equality and coverage and yet she makes no effort to support any woman’s football at any level. I do watch England and when I ask her about it she says she doesn’t like football.

So how come I have too?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Thailand are that bad, how bad must Cambodia be? 

D463E646-5CD4-4215-BD51-5F9D3757A13B.png.51be8d1d364685b64fa91446fd64e472.png

But if Cambodia are that bad, how bad must Timor-Leste be?!

DC34A718-DE81-46DE-A129-8148E6192705.jpeg.df32bfed2b969dea46ef9a0262f6f145.jpeg

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 054123 said:

There is some truth in this. I genuinely only support Bristol city, I’m not interested in the prem or champs league.

Yet because it’s football I feel like I’ve got to support it.

The irony is my mum bangs about the equality and coverage and yet she makes no effort to support any woman’s football at any level. I do watch England and when I ask her about it she says she doesn’t like football.

So how come I have too?

 

That's pretty much what a French philosopher said recently.

Why is it becoming compulsory to be interested in women's football?

 

https://www.rt.com/news/461241-france-womens-football-philosopher/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Who is forcing you?

It’s how I feel. 

My wife and I watch the national team and as a family always support England.

I feel like however, when all is said and done, the truth is the majority of male football fans are only really passionate about the men’s game and the majority of female fans don’t really care about the women’s game. I don’t feel that any amount of coverage or publicity will change that to any significant degree.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Everton beat some random Austrian team 23 nil in a friendly in the last few years?

Hell, we even beat the mighty manor farm 11 nil not long ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BrizzleBengal said:

Didn't Everton beat some random Austrian team 23 nil in a friendly in the last few years?

Hell, we even beat the mighty manor farm 11 nil not long ago

Yes, but this is supposed to be the world's elite not some club side. 

It's like San Marino, faroe Islands etc playing a top nation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well there have already been some good saves and more confident goalkeeping, but unfortunately as you are apparently not watching it, so you haven't seen the improvement. It's also strange to not watch a game when only 9.09% of the players involved fall below your standards. 

I have taken the trouble to watch probably 20 - 25 womens football games.....it might be only 9.09 per cent, but thats a pretty important 9.09.   I hope you are entertained, but personally i would rather watch Forest Green v Cheltemham than a Womens World Cup game.  Before u ask, No I'm not a misogynist, I just find it boring. Hopefully I will change my view eventually, and I hope the womens game flourishes.  Would I pay to watch a Womens football match?  No.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

That France penalty sums up my view of women goalkeepers............my grandad couldv'e thrown his cap on that shot?

Is this him?

ecky-thump.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to get past the “it’s not like the men’s game” to enjoy it, of course the pace and power is nowhere near, but it is incredibly technical. 

Th other thing to remember is that the women’s game in some parts of the world has next to no funding or infrastructure, until this catches up you’ll get results like this in a World Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12 June 2019 at 13:22, HanwellRed said:

oh do grow up. this is 2019 not 1819. 

To be fair Emma Hayes (Chelsea boss) also suggested this.

6 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

It's just like the early years of the men's world cup. Even in 1974 Yugoslavia were beating Zaire 9-0.

See also Hungary 10 El Salvador 1 in 1982

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12 June 2019 at 14:29, 054123 said:

It’s how I feel. 

My wife and I watch the national team and as a family always support England.

I feel like however, when all is said and done, the truth is the majority of male football fans are only really passionate about the men’s game and the majority of female fans don’t really care about the women’s game. I don’t feel that any amount of coverage or publicity will change that to any significant degree.

Not a dig at you and probably should post this in the other thread, but made me laugh

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/12/womens-world-cup-shoved-down-mens-throats?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

To be fair Emma Hayes (Chelsea boss) also suggested this.

See also Hungary 10 El Salvador 1 in 1982

Quite, I forgot about Germany 9-0 Saudi Arabia in 2002 (off the top of my head?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

Quite, I forgot about Germany 9-0 Saudi Arabia in 2002 (off the top of my head?)

Yep spot on.

i guess the real point is not about the quality of  women's football but whether only the elite are allowed into major finals. Instinctively I think it should be wider, but the cricket World Cup at the mo will probably be better quality without 'the Minnows'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Not a dig at you and probably should post this in the other thread, but made me laugh

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/12/womens-world-cup-shoved-down-mens-throats?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

 

 

I appreciate it’s not a dig. I still feel I’m fundamentally right,  I’ve always watched and supported the Womens national team and even followed Cheltenham town ladies for a while when my friend played for them. 

If the sport is going to get more popular then it’s needs more people to get behind it and I would argue more female support is needed. Most football fans follow a team because of some affiliation and the assumption that they should also by definition watch and support the women’s game or that it is of equal billing is not necessary and puts people into a corner, as the view that they don’t like it, Gets them ridiculed.

I like my local amateur side and often watch them play, there’s no point pretending it is of a great level and that people should watch it, because the first point isn’t true and the second is down to choice. 

4m viewers is fine, I would expect most national events to get decent figures, but it is a completely different thing to the mens game and trying to persuade people that it is the same is just silly.

Like my local amateur team, I appreciate its the same sport buts its a different entity to men’s professional football and people have to enjoy it for what it is. If they don’t that’s, fine I wouldn’t expect people too.

Its a silly debate in a way as like all things there’s no middle ground anymore. I like watching the national women’s team and enjoy watching the World Cup, the standard isn’t brilliant and it’s not the same as the men’s game. It isn’t that popular as people don’t really get behind women’s football despite having every opportunity to get out and watch a woman’s team every weekend.

Mens  football isn’t extremely popular because it’s on tv, it’s on tv because it was popular. It isn’t the fans of the male versions responsibility to like it and the reason it doesn’t have the same resource is simply because there isn’t the same market and therefore the same input as men’s professional football. This is true of many sports/pursuits both male and female.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super said:

Crikey that was clearly offside in the brazil game. What a joke

Personally, I think the correct decision was made.

And that's the problem with having VAR for judgement calls - everyone sees it differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Personally, I think the correct decision was made.

And that's the problem with having VAR for judgement calls - everyone sees it differently.

That has to be offside the ball was hit towards her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super said:

That has to be offside the ball was hit towards her. 

100%. The defender wouldn't have had to head the ball if the attacker wasn't there.

Brazil had quite a big shout for a penalty at the end that I was suprised wasn't given.

Edited by BCFC Grim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...