IGNORED

USA 13 Thailand 0 (Womens world cup)

Taz

If you haven't seen the goals, it's worth watching the highlights just to see the Thailand keepers "attempts" at keeping them out.

It's a shame because a few of the goals aren't bad, but the reaction (or lack of) from the keeper takes the attention away from everything else. This is why womens football is overlooked a lot of the time IMO.

I've only seen them because the video came up on my facebook this morning, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

If you haven't seen the goals, it's worth watching the highlights just to see the Thailand keepers "attempts" at keeping them out.

It's a shame because a few of the goals aren't bad, but the reaction (or lack of) from the keeper takes the attention away from everything else. This is why womens football is overlooked a lot of the time IMO.

I've only seen them because the video came up on my facebook this morning, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

Thailand’s team is probably the equivalent of PNG in the men’s game, they are amateurs, not even part-timers. When the game improves these teams will either have to go with it or more likely, not qualify. 

To demean the game because of the performance of a team like that is taking an easy shot at a static target.

Germany beat Estonia 8-0 last night by the way, I haven’t seen the goals, so I won’t comment on the performance of the Estonian players, other to say you would think it was below standard.

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Do that and you wouldn't get this sort of embarrassment.

I might even become interested as I am in women's tennis.

16 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Yeah they need to do something especially with the goals. Whenever I see highlights of women's football it's the goalkeepers that are shocking 

18 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It would take to long to dig it out and give appropriate credit but a suggestion on another thread, with which I agree, is to reduce the size of both the pitch and the goals to make the women's game and Estonia comparable with the men's as happens in golf.

Added to that for you.

The tournament has, apart from last night been relatively low scoring. As PSR said, Germany beat Estonia 8-0 last night and we beat Panama 6-1 at the World Cup (could have been 13-1!) gulfs in quality exist across both genders.

“I’ve only seen it because it came up on Facebook” kind of absolves all knowledge on the quality of the rest of the tournament.

Feels like a pointless stick to try and beat the woman’s game tbh, on the whole the keepers skill set does not seem to have developed as quickly as the outfield players for some reason but this was also the same in the men’s game! maybe only in the last 30 years has goalkeeping been taken really seriously. but I have also seen some fantastic saves in the tournament. 

Men’s game will always have had a 100 year head start, a head start enforced, by men.

It’s the Same game, played by a different sex. It’s about time people stopped constantly picking holes with lazy casual sexism and analysed it without the men’s game in their mind. Or don’t, it’s up to individuals but thankfully in a generation or so these comparisons will cease to matter.

42 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

The tournament has, apart from last night been relatively low scoring. As PSR said, Germany beat Estonia 8-0 last night and we beat Panama 6-1 at the World Cup (could have been 13-1!) gulfs in quality exist across both genders.

“I’ve only seen it because it came up on Facebook” kind of absolves all knowledge on the quality of the rest of the tournament.

Feels like a pointless stick to try and beat the woman’s game tbh, on the whole the keepers skill set does not seem to have developed as quickly as the outfield players for some reason but this was also the same in the men’s game! maybe only in the last 30 years has goalkeeping been taken really seriously. but I have also seen some fantastic saves in the tournament. 

Men’s game will always have had a 100 year head start, a head start enforced, by men.

It’s the Same game, played by a different sex. It’s about time people stopped constantly picking holes with lazy casual sexism and analysed it without the men’s game in their mind. Or don’t, it’s up to individuals but thankfully in a generation or so these comparisons will cease to matter.

Germany beat Brazil 7-1 at the world cup

in the semi final

in Brazil

in the men's game!

And it could have been 10.

35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Yes the opposition was weak, but the USA played some really good football. Look out England, because I could see them being soundly beaten too.

Agreed, the arrogance of the men’s team ‘golden generation’ in the 00s seems to be a little reflected in this woman’s team.

hard to see past France tbh, they were relentless in their first game and will be interesting to see what they do against Norway today

I Think elements of the womens game are obviously of a technically  high standard........but in general the standard of keeping prevents me from watching it. When they start unearthing some serious goalkeeping talent throughout the game

it will make a big difference

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Really? The lionesses drew 2-2 with the USA in the USA on March 2nd this year on their way to winning the she believes cup.

.... and were by far the better side that day too.

I had to laugh at the way the USA team celebrated every goal like it was a winning goal in the world cup final, no humility there milking the 10th. 11th etc

I wonder back in America how many are confused that their "World Series" doesn't have countries in it yet the "Soccer World Cup" does . . .

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Think elements of the womens game are obviously of a technically  high standard........but in general the standard of keeping prevents me from watching it. When they start unearthing some serious goalkeeping talent throughout the game

Well there have already been some good saves and more confident goalkeeping, but unfortunately as you are apparently not watching it, so you haven't seen the improvement. It's also strange to not watch a game when only 9.09% of the players involved fall below your standards. 

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I think that the Thai keeper was a pretty terrible example to be honest. Agreed the standard of keeping isn't great but worth watching some of the saves the Chile keeper made against Sweden. Much much higher standard (helps that she isn't 5'5")

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48597731

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Agreed, the arrogance of the men’s team ‘golden generation’ in the 00s seems to be a little reflected in this woman’s team.

hard to see past France tbh, they were relentless in their first game and will be interesting to see what they do against Norway today

Play football, I expect.

12 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

I think that the Thai keeper was a pretty terrible example to be honest. Agreed the standard of keeping isn't great but worth watching some of the saves the Chile keeper made against Sweden. Much much higher standard (helps that she isn't 5'5")

Chile are a great example of why the women's game is still getting negative reviews, they have only just started getting the kind of funding and recognition required to promote any sport. If you have 5  minutes read this piece about their "journey". 

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-06-06/chile-s-historic-first-world-cup-appearance-tells-much-larger-story-women-s

If you haven't, just this one paragraph will give you an idea of what they were up against.

"For decades, the national federation consistently underfunded women’s soccer: Women played on fields only when the men weren’t using them and didn’t have their own locker rooms. For away games, the women flew coach; meanwhile, the men flew business. And at the elite club level, things were even worse. It always felt like we got the leftovers from the boys' and men’s teams. The uniforms they weren’t using were the ones we were using. We didn’t have anything. We had ourselves and our desire to play and to be there,” said Rothfeld, who also played at Universidad Católica, one of the best club teams in the country. Unlike the male players, who get paid to play on the team, Rothfeld had to pay to be on it.

Women wanting to play soccer in Chile have an uphill battle, as they’re up against a longstanding machista culture that thinks women should stay off the field. “Once I got injured and went to the doctors and he said this happened to you because you were playing something that is not meant for you,” Rothfeld said.

Brenda Elsey, a professor at Hofstra University, recently wrote the book “Futbolera: A History of Women and Sports in Latin America.” During her research, she came across comments such as: "Women’s soccer is terrible for marriages," "women become confident," "they get muscles that look like men," and "they are much less obedient as spouses."

In the summer of 2016, conditions for women’s soccer took a dive: Chile’s women’s national team was kicked off the official FIFA rankings and deemed “inactive” because the Chilean soccer federation more or less forgot about the women’s team and didn’t schedule a single match for two years."

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Indeed, she is almost 6 feet tall.

Christiane Endler, the Chilean goalkeeper to whom you refer, is recognised as a top class goalkeeper and actually plays professionally here in France, for Paris Saint Germain.

As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, The Thai players are, in fact, amateur.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

oh do grow up. this is 2019 not 1819. 

11 minutes ago, HanwellRed said:

oh do grow up. this is 2019 not 1819. 

The year matters not.

There is no requirement to be interested in all sports or see men's and women's sports as equivalent.

There is no natural progression to everyone being equally interested in men's and women's football.  Women's football has been far more popular in the past than it is now.

It might get bigger or it might dwindle away back into amateur status.

However much certain people seem to think that their vision of the future is how it's going to be there is only one certainty: they are wrong.

6 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Yeah they need to do something especially with the goals. Whenever I see highlights of women's football it's the goalkeepers that are shocking 

I worked with a woman who coached at a league club and even she used to lament the inability (even the better ones) of female keepers. She had been involved at a high level in the women’s game for 20 years, and she said still couldn’t work it out.

Having seen players from City’s woman’s academy who can tell how technically good they are and how quickly the game and talent is developing, but even here the goal keeping is just plain bad.

21 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The year matters not.

There is no requirement to be interested in all sports or see men's and women's sports as equivalent.

There is no natural progression to everyone being equally interested in men's and women's football.  Women's football has been far more popular in the past than it is now.

It might get bigger or it might dwindle away back into amateur status.

However much certain people seem to think that their vision of the future is how it's going to be there is only one certainty: they are wrong.

There is some truth in this. I genuinely only support Bristol city, I’m not interested in the prem or champs league.

Yet because it’s football I feel like I’ve got to support it.

The irony is my mum bangs about the equality and coverage and yet she makes no effort to support any woman’s football at any level. I do watch England and when I ask her about it she says she doesn’t like football.

So how come I have too?

22 minutes ago, 054123 said:

There is some truth in this. I genuinely only support Bristol city, I’m not interested in the prem or champs league.

Yet because it’s football I feel like I’ve got to support it.

The irony is my mum bangs about the equality and coverage and yet she makes no effort to support any woman’s football at any level. I do watch England and when I ask her about it she says she doesn’t like football.

So how come I have too?

That's pretty much what a French philosopher said recently.

Why is it becoming compulsory to be interested in women's football?

https://www.rt.com/news/461241-france-womens-football-philosopher/

12 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Who is forcing you?

It’s how I feel. 

My wife and I watch the national team and as a family always support England.

I feel like however, when all is said and done, the truth is the majority of male football fans are only really passionate about the men’s game and the majority of female fans don’t really care about the women’s game. I don’t feel that any amount of coverage or publicity will change that to any significant degree.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, BrizzleBengal said:

Didn't Everton beat some random Austrian team 23 nil in a friendly in the last few years?

Hell, we even beat the mighty manor farm 11 nil not long ago

Yes, but this is supposed to be the world's elite not some club side. 

It's like San Marino, faroe Islands etc playing a top nation 

Archived