IGNORED

USA 13 Thailand 0 (Womens world cup)

Taz

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well there have already been some good saves and more confident goalkeeping, but unfortunately as you are apparently not watching it, so you haven't seen the improvement. It's also strange to not watch a game when only 9.09% of the players involved fall below your standards. 

I have taken the trouble to watch probably 20 - 25 womens football games.....it might be only 9.09 per cent, but thats a pretty important 9.09.   I hope you are entertained, but personally i would rather watch Forest Green v Cheltemham than a Womens World Cup game.  Before u ask, No I'm not a misogynist, I just find it boring. Hopefully I will change my view eventually, and I hope the womens game flourishes.  Would I pay to watch a Womens football match?  No.

You have to get past the “it’s not like the men’s game” to enjoy it, of course the pace and power is nowhere near, but it is incredibly technical. 

Th other thing to remember is that the women’s game in some parts of the world has next to no funding or infrastructure, until this catches up you’ll get results like this in a World Cup. 

On 12 June 2019 at 13:22, HanwellRed said:

oh do grow up. this is 2019 not 1819. 

To be fair Emma Hayes (Chelsea boss) also suggested this.

6 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

It's just like the early years of the men's world cup. Even in 1974 Yugoslavia were beating Zaire 9-0.

See also Hungary 10 El Salvador 1 in 1982

On 12 June 2019 at 14:29, 054123 said:

It’s how I feel. 

My wife and I watch the national team and as a family always support England.

I feel like however, when all is said and done, the truth is the majority of male football fans are only really passionate about the men’s game and the majority of female fans don’t really care about the women’s game. I don’t feel that any amount of coverage or publicity will change that to any significant degree.

Not a dig at you and probably should post this in the other thread, but made me laugh

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/12/womens-world-cup-shoved-down-mens-throats?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

Quite, I forgot about Germany 9-0 Saudi Arabia in 2002 (off the top of my head?)

Yep spot on.

i guess the real point is not about the quality of  women's football but whether only the elite are allowed into major finals. Instinctively I think it should be wider, but the cricket World Cup at the mo will probably be better quality without 'the Minnows'.

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Not a dig at you and probably should post this in the other thread, but made me laugh

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jun/12/womens-world-cup-shoved-down-mens-throats?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I appreciate it’s not a dig. I still feel I’m fundamentally right,  I’ve always watched and supported the Womens national team and even followed Cheltenham town ladies for a while when my friend played for them. 

If the sport is going to get more popular then it’s needs more people to get behind it and I would argue more female support is needed. Most football fans follow a team because of some affiliation and the assumption that they should also by definition watch and support the women’s game or that it is of equal billing is not necessary and puts people into a corner, as the view that they don’t like it, Gets them ridiculed.

I like my local amateur side and often watch them play, there’s no point pretending it is of a great level and that people should watch it, because the first point isn’t true and the second is down to choice. 

4m viewers is fine, I would expect most national events to get decent figures, but it is a completely different thing to the mens game and trying to persuade people that it is the same is just silly.

Like my local amateur team, I appreciate its the same sport buts its a different entity to men’s professional football and people have to enjoy it for what it is. If they don’t that’s, fine I wouldn’t expect people too.

Its a silly debate in a way as like all things there’s no middle ground anymore. I like watching the national women’s team and enjoy watching the World Cup, the standard isn’t brilliant and it’s not the same as the men’s game. It isn’t that popular as people don’t really get behind women’s football despite having every opportunity to get out and watch a woman’s team every weekend.

Mens  football isn’t extremely popular because it’s on tv, it’s on tv because it was popular. It isn’t the fans of the male versions responsibility to like it and the reason it doesn’t have the same resource is simply because there isn’t the same market and therefore the same input as men’s professional football. This is true of many sports/pursuits both male and female.

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Personally, I think the correct decision was made.

And that's the problem with having VAR for judgement calls - everyone sees it differently.

That has to be offside the ball was hit towards her. 

Archived