IGNORED

Chris Froome out of the TDF

Lanterne Rouge

47 minutes ago, TomF said:

In intensive care and 'in a bad way' - really doesn't sound good. 

With so many serious injuries requiring surgery to re-align, repair etc he's bound to be in a bad way and in intensive care. Still very much in the "corrective" stage. Soon the recovery will begin and I have little doubt that he will recover. But whether the injuries he has sustained will prevent him from returning to the very top level he was, is a whole different matter. From all accounts it really was a very bad crash. I wish him all the best and hope he can beat the odds and make a 100% recovery.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48612884

As title. He had a bad crash on a practice day in the Criterium Du Dauphin and has broken his elbow, femur and several ribs - ouch!

All up to G in the TDF now, it`s going to be hard work without Chris there.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

In intensive care and 'in a bad way' - really doesn't sound good. 

Sounded pretty inoccous to start with, but with every update sounds like things are a lot worse

• Admin

It is claimed that the four-time Tour de France champion took his hands off his handlebars to blow his nose while riding at around 55km/h.

A gust if wind is said to have caught his front wheel, spinning him out of control and into a wall.

The injuries were so severe that Froome had to be airlifted to nearby St Etienne University Hospital, where he is currently being looked after by medical staff.

Poor bloke, not like they have a lot of protective clothing either, and there certainly isn’t an ounce of fat on him to cushion him a bit. Not that would have saved him hitting a wall. I guess broken ribs could have punctured a lung perhaps? There could be all sorts of complications with so many injuries, even the shock. 

At least he was in race conditions with medical help on hand, or that’s what I understand? So often they go off alone or as good as when training. If it had happened in quite a remote place people might not have known for hours.

Speedy recovery Chris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48633913

It sounds as if the operation has gone as well as it could have and he will be out for a minimum of six months. A lucky guy, it could have been a lot worse.

Incidentally @swanker, I`m a little puzzled by the laugh emojis you`ve added to some posts - do you get some sort of amusement from someone having a life threatening accident? Weird.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48633913

It sounds as if the operation has gone as well as it could have and he will be out for a minimum of six months. A lucky guy, it could have been a lot worse.

Incidentally @swanker, I`m a little puzzled by the laugh emojis you`ve added to some posts - do you get some sort of amusement from someone having a life threatening accident? Weird.

Life threatening? Yeah right!! He’s getting the type of care and treatment the average joe can only dream about. If that was me or you we’d left on some trolley in a corridor at southmead hospital  

Lets see how long it take for him to go from “ life threatening “ to winning another race.  

54 minutes ago, swanker said:

Life threatening? Yeah right!! He’s getting the type of care and treatment the average joe can only dream about. If that was me or you we’d left on some trolley in a corridor at southmead hospital  

Lets see how long it take for him to go from “ life threatening “ to winning another race.  

Whatever.

On 13/06/2019 at 10:40, phantom said:

It is claimed that the four-time Tour de France champion took his hands off his handlebars to blow his nose while riding at around 55km/h.

A gust if wind is said to have caught his front wheel, spinning him out of control and into a wall.

The injuries were so severe that Froome had to be airlifted to nearby St Etienne University Hospital, where he is currently being looked after by medical staff.

Pretty much a case of over confidence........:disapointed2se:.He’ll recover tho and be back for next years Tour.

Up to Geraint to fly the Union Jack now.......

8 hours ago, swanker said:

Well yes, regardless of the level of treatment he is receiving, I'd say that riding a bicycle in to a wall at 40mph wearing nothing but lyrca would definitely qualify as a life threatening accident. 

You do seem rather bitter about something :dunno:

33 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Well yes, regardless of the level of treatment he is receiving, I'd say that riding a bicycle in to a wall at 40mph wearing nothing but lyrca would definitely qualify as a life threatening accident. 

You do seem rather bitter about something :dunno:

Not bitter, just not that worried to be honest. Perhaps you should organise a get together on the centre and get people to lite candles. He is a bit of a celebrity after all!

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

Not bitter, just not that worried to be honest. Perhaps you should organise a get together on the centre and get people to lite candles. He is a bit of a celebrity after all!

I've just dipped into this thread but that is a really odd response. He's broken his neck, femur, ribs, elbow and a broken hip. A broken femur can kill people and 25% of those who suffer an injury fail to return to the same level of activity as before. He's a sporting icon and people are paying their respects. 

Out of interest did you laugh when Korey Smith was stretchered off against Reading towards the end of the season? They're both professional athletes and more importantly human. Obviously a professional athlete is going to receive better healthcare than the average person. He'll receive an exceptional level of rehab and he has a stronger mentality than any of us which is why he is a TdF champion in the first place. 

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less about cycling and don't have any feelings for/against Froome but I'm just a normal bloke. 

26 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I've just dipped into this thread but that is a really odd response. He's broken his neck, femur, ribs, elbow and a broken hip. A broken femur can kill people and 25% of those who suffer an injury fail to return to the same level of activity as before. He's a sporting icon and people are paying their respects. 

Out of interest did you laugh when Korey Smith was stretchered off against Reading towards the end of the season? They're both professional athletes and more importantly human. Obviously a professional athlete is going to receive better healthcare than the average person. He'll receive an exceptional level of rehab and he has a stronger mentality than any of us which is why he is a TdF champion in the first place. 

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less about cycling and don't have any feelings for/against Froome but I'm just a normal bloke. 

I turned the news on and Chris Froome is one of the main stories?  I just do see why people are so concerned about some multi millionaire falling of his bike. 

Thing is, people a very concerned about celebrity and get emotional when the person the feel they know has some sort of misfortune. 

Remember lady Di? One minute every paper in the land was besmirching her character the next she was the people’s princes? Have you ever heard anything like it? She wasn’t my princess,  I think a lot more of my family and friends!

As for Korey? Great player and sad about his injuries!

On 15/06/2019 at 22:02, Coppello said:

Someone who uses the NHS and suffers similar injuries from activities outside of sport. 

Ah, if only the average person could receive such treatment. No doubt he'll make a full recovery in a short space of time and be riding his bike again.  

On 15/06/2019 at 18:55, swanker said:

I turned the news on and Chris Froome is one of the main stories?  I just do see why people are so concerned about some multi millionaire falling of his bike. 

Thing is, people a very concerned about celebrity and get emotional when the person the feel they know has some sort of misfortune. 

Remember lady Di? One minute every paper in the land was besmirching her character the next she was the people’s princes? Have you ever heard anything like it? She wasn’t my princess,  I think a lot more of my family and friends!

As for Korey? Great player and sad about his injuries!

Not caring or being interested about it is one thing but to actually laugh and find it funny?

Archived