IGNORED

France pen in women's footy

Judda

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Okay, she got a slight touch on the ball.  Its still a penalty though.

Penalties and their legitimacy seem to have got so much more complicated in the years of modern football - loads of obvious ones don’t seem to be given now and loads of contentious, doubtful ones seem to be awarded - back in the day - a pen for handball was a beautiful thing - it was usually a gnarly old centre half diving full length to tip one round the post after the ‘hapless’  keeper had missed it ....

Yes it looked bad because the contact was high up, after she got the ball. But suppose she had clipped the French girl’s ankle after clearing the ball? Would that be a foul? If so, I don’t see how tackling is possible any more, if players can’t risk contact with the opposition at all.

If, on the other hand, the foul is because the contact was at knee level, where do you draw the line?

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Even though the defender played the ball?

Yes. Touching the ball doesn't change the fact that studding somebody's knee is clearly a foul.

The Laws of the Game state that a direct free kick [or penalty] is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any one of seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force. Number one on that list is "kicks or attempts to kick an opponent".

She definitely kicked her opponent, and you could argue that it was careless, reckless and using excessive force. 

100% a penalty. 

9 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

The french player jumps towards the ball 2 footed , if anything its a freekick to norway for dangerous play , ridiculous decisionand var is killing the game.

I've just seen it for the first time and this was my impression too. The Norwegian player did touch the ball albeit only slight although the follow through was a tad OTT.

Free kick to Norway IMHO. 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Yes. Touching the ball doesn't change the fact that studding somebody's knee is clearly a foul.

The Laws of the Game state that a direct free kick [or penalty] is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any one of seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force. Number one on that list is "kicks or attempts to kick an opponent".

She definitely kicked her opponent, and you could argue that it was careless, reckless and using excessive force. 

100% a penalty. 

So defender kick ball away and in following through she "kicks" the leg of attacker, who has slid 6 feet along the ground in an attempt to reach the ball, having been nowhere near the ball when the defender kicked the ball.

Under number one the fact would be that she kicked the opponent, which appears to deem it a penalty.

This is the danger of what has happened in the modern game when administrators have attempted to make the rules, and their interpretation, more prescriptive. Add in the advent of VAR and it seems to me that it is creating more contentious decisions, not less!

Looked to me the way she tried to clear the ball and the way her leg moved was a reaction to the French player jumping in 2 footed, if the French player doesn't jump in then the Norwegian player clears it easily 

Not a penalty. The Norwegian kicked the ball, the French player slid into her foot after she'd kicked it. I don't doubt it hurt, but if you blew for a foul every time someone slid into someone else in football, you'd be taking free kicks every minute or so.

On 13/06/2019 at 13:07, Sturny said:

If she did then made the most minimal contact on the ball, barely scuffed it 

Doesnt matter, the post I quoted said she didnt. You can argue whether its enough to be a fair challenge all day but whether the ball was touched is just a fact

On 12/06/2019 at 23:17, BS4 on Tour... said:

Penalties and their legitimacy seem to have got so much more complicated in the years of modern football - loads of obvious ones don’t seem to be given now and loads of contentious, doubtful ones seem to be awarded - back in the day - a pen for handball was a beautiful thing - it was usually a gnarly old centre half diving full length to tip one round the post after the ‘hapless’  keeper had missed it ....

A penalty ( a free shot on target from twelve yards ) most given never justify that reward, for a slight knock or hand deflection. The reward is far too great...as often the play beforehand would never have led to a goal scoring chance.

A penalty imo, should only be awarded if a goal scoring chance was denied.

So many games decided by penalty decisions that never would have led to a goal from open play.

What's the point in having intricate tactics anymore?

The penalty and Car system now encourage a 'Wimbledon' type approach.

Get 5 big lads in the box, keep pumping balls into them...and eventually it will hit a hand or a foul awarded.

Just goes to show how even with VAR some decisions are contentious. For what it’s worth,  I think the defender is unlucky - she connects with the ball and catches the France player as she follows through. Having said that, her leg was high when contact was made. Difficult one. Maybe too many grey areas are creeping into the laws of the game?

On 12/06/2019 at 23:17, BS4 on Tour... said:

back in the day - a pen for handball was a beautiful thing - it was usually a gnarly old centre half diving full length to tip one round the post after the ‘hapless’  keeper had missed it ....

Ha! Yes, I remember Brian Williams doing exactly that in a game v Bolton at AG in the late 1980s. 

Why not just do away with the 18yard box and penalty kick?

A free kick is awarded from wherever the foul took place......

It would be fascinating to see teams packing their goal line trying to defend a free kick close to their goal...........:cool2:

Archived