IGNORED

Planners kill off Rovers stadium hopes...

WhistleHappy

22 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

To go slightly off track, there were a whole host of other issues apart from the cladding. My work often brings me into contact with the fire industry, I am far from being an expert, but what I have learnt, is that there is often a combination of events rather than one single situation or material to blame.

Cheers Miah.

I bow to your vastly superior knowledge. I was going from the media lynch mob TBH and should have known better than to believe them. 

I wouldn't have thought something as high as the tower in west London would have any timber in the frame, reinforced concrete I would guess and as the structure still stands, I can't see that any timber was involved.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

With the wooden design FGR would have to jump through numerous safety hoops to get planning permission. Now I  don’t know the details on which grounds the  PP was denied but I doubt the main reason was because of the wooden structure.

Fire proofing technology these days is so advanced that I can’t imagine that fire risk would have been an issue.

It was mostly about traffic and light pollution.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Explain what happened to those hoses in London 3 days ago, modern wooden structure 

As someone who lives not far from there the word on the street is it was caused by someone having a bbq on a wooden balcony. So while the structure may have been modern the persons braincells certainly weren’t 

7 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

As someone who lives not far from there the word on the street is it was caused by someone having a bbq on a wooden balcony. So while the structure may have been modern the persons braincells certainly weren’t 

Some people are plain stupid.

Image result for armadillo harry enfield

57 minutes ago, pillred said:

It was mostly about traffic and light pollution.

I followed the story as I live in Gloucestershire these days - about 6 miles from FGR - the whole meeting was farcical. Local nimby councillors anti the development from the off and looking to find fault at every opportunity. Objectors had 30 minutes to state their case......FGR had 6 minutes. The development was recommended by planning officers who had spent 3 years working with FGR.

In fact councillors refused it and were then reminded by the Planning Officers they had to state reasons.....they didn't have any ! and then adjourned for a chat, and took advice from Officers along the line of "Well can we object on XYZ grounds?"  Officer "No"  ...."Well what about ABC?"  No ...ok how about DEF? Officer "Possibly"

In the end 

Noise.  Independent Noise Consultants assessed the stadium noise level at 40db. (for 2-3 hours max once a week)  - The adjacent M5 generates 70db -  24/7 !!

Bad Visual Impact .  The stadium height is 19m.  There is a nearby incinerator and the height of that is ......92m !!

More traffic.  The adjacent M5 J13 was stated by Planning Officers to be at 50% capacity and the matchday would increase that to 53% and FGR were planning to pay for the A road running past the site to be made dual carrigway that would benefit 24/7 not just matchday.

Farcical 

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I followed the story as I live in Gloucestershire these days - about 6 miles from FGR - the whole meeting was farcical. Local nimby councillors anti the development from the off and looking to find fault at every opportunity. Objectors had 30 minutes to state their case......FGR had 6 minutes. The development was recommended by planning officers who had spent 3 years working with FGR.

In fact councillors refused it and were then reminded by the Planning Officers they had to state reasons.....they didn't have any ! and then adjourned for a chat, and took advice from Officers along the line of "Well can we object on XYZ grounds?"  Officer "No"  ...."Well what about ABC?"  No ...ok how about DEF? Officer "Possibly"

In the end 

Noise.  Independent Noise Consultants assessed the stadium noise level at 40db. (for 2-3 hours max once a week)  - The adjacent M5 generates 70db -  24/7 !!

Bad Visual Impact .  The stadium height is 19m.  There is a nearby incinerator and the height of that is ......92m !!

More traffic.  The adjacent M5 J13 was stated by Planning Officers to be at 50% capacity and the matchday would increase that to 53% and FGR were planning to pay for the A road running past the site to be made dual carrigway that would benefit 24/7 not just matchday.

Farcical 

will FGR  appeal? 

4 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Erm Bradford check your history.

A whole other era. Spectators smoking in the stands, which were dilapidated and would have even fallen foul of the insufficient safety checks of the time. They also stored old programmes under the stand which provided kindling. Thankfully I don’t think we will ever see a disaster of that kind again

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

will FGR  appeal? 

Dale Vince last night 

Dale Vince told the Local Democracy Reporting Service after the meeting the outcome was "a poor show", adding the meeting was was "farcical".

He said: "I am a little bit disappointed about what happened.

"Surprised at the decision and amused at what happened at the end when the councillors that voted the application down, realised they didn't have any good reasons to give the officers to put in the decision notice.

"They had a recess, scratched their heads and came up with reasons that they threw at it. They did not really know what they were doing, then they had to confront the real issue that they had to give a real reason to turn it down.

"It is a poor show. Four years of work have gone into this, and the council has spent a lot of time and money doing this job properly. It was properly assessed, recommended for approval.They are on weak ground, and maybe we will appeal but that is another year of my life. How hard should I have to try to bring some progress? I do wonder if it is worth the effort."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now he knows how SL felt when AV was rejected.  Unfortunately Vince doesn't have the option SL had of redeveloping the existing ground. People will lokk at their existing (but increasing) crowds of c.2K and say their 5K stadium is big enough but it's poorly situated - one local road through a housing area in and out .streets clogged with parking despite the club funding a P & R ..and the same goal of sustainability and utilising the stadium 7 days a week applies as well - but can't be done at the limited New Lawn.

He's the sort of guy who could just say ****  it and walk away and do something else towards his green agenda.  As a club they've probably grown as far in size as they can (on that site) although they could go another step playing wise to L1 (as Accrington - similar size - did) as DV does fund a decent budget for L2,  but I doubt their crowds would increase (I don't think Acc'ies did either?)

There is absolutely no reason why a stadium shouldnt be built there, id rather they came out and said "we dont want the stadium" rather make up reasons like they have.

These are the same people who were trying to get a new housing estate to be refused close to where the stadium is, for insane reasons such as "a railway line will block the houses from the rest of the houses in the area".....

They just want to keep their quaint countryside life, regardless of people having to live places etc.

5 hours ago, CodeRed said:

In the end 

Farcical 

Remind you of another ground application? city had the same farcical objections, a former landfill site next to an industrial complex bordered by a busy dual carriageway was somehow portrayed as the Garden of Eden, a shame a few people can stop something that would bring enjoyment to thousands, as you say all for a couple of hours once a fortnight. 

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

To go slightly off track, there were a whole host of other issues apart from the cladding. My work often brings me into contact with the fire industry, I am far from being an expert, but what I have learnt, is that there is often a combination of events rather than one single situation or material to blame.

Typically if someone dies in a fire, there is almost always a perfect storm. 

I understand there were 10 reasons given for refusal so until the list is out I would hold judgement on blaming nimby attitudes. Whether we like it or not local people gave a right to object to planning applications they don’t believe are in keeping with their neighbourhood and where they don’t see a direct benefit. They may not want a dual carriageway for example. 

As for FGR while I applaud the eco friendly notion behind the proposed new stadium, i never fully understood how it was going to take the club forward. As I understand it the new stadium was to have been a 5,000 all seater stadium. But the current official capacity if the New Lawn is 5,032 (2,000 seated) so not much difference. 

19 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I understand there were 10 reasons given for refusal so until the list is out I would hold judgement on blaming nimby attitudes. Whether we like it or not local people gave a right to object to planning applications they don’t believe are in keeping with their neighbourhood and where they don’t see a direct benefit. They may not want a dual carriageway for example. 

As for FGR while I applaud the eco friendly notion behind the proposed new stadium, i never fully understood how it was going to take the club forward. As I understand it the new stadium was to have been a 5,000 all seater stadium. But the current official capacity if the New Lawn is 5,032 (2,000 seated) so not much difference. 

You are missing the point completely if you think it is just down to capacity.

The road they want to make into a dual carriage is next to a motorway, the stadium is next to a motorway. The stadium would be less noise than the motorway is. You are giving a perfect nimby excuse, where they want to put a dual carriageway is a great idea that can get gridlocked in the morning and afternoons with people trying to get to Stonehouse/Stroud etc for work off of the motorway and also the a419. 

Its a perfect example of “I want my lovely countryside life (next to a motorway) and **** everyone else” 

as I said previously these are the same people that didn’t want houses being built near them and made up every excuse under the sun. 

38 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

You are missing the point completely if you think it is just down to capacity.

The road they want to make into a dual carriage is next to a motorway, the stadium is next to a motorway. The stadium would be less noise than the motorway is. You are giving a perfect nimby excuse, where they want to put a dual carriageway is a great idea that can get gridlocked in the morning and afternoons with people trying to get to Stonehouse/Stroud etc for work off of the motorway and also the a419. 

Its a perfect example of “I want my lovely countryside life (next to a motorway) and **** everyone else” 

as I said previously these are the same people that didn’t want houses being built near them and made up every excuse under the sun. 

And aren’t you being somewhat naive if you think everyone wants to have a dual carriageway upgrade. Perhaps not everybody has a burning desire to dash to Stonehouse each morning. I imagine the rush must be frightening.  

I’m not saying those who object are right or wrong, but I am defending their right to object if they feel they should do so. Given that the plans were 4 years in the making and apparently had the backing of the district council the nimbys, as you refer to them, presumably led by Eastington Parish Council must have had some impressive arguments or influence to impress the planning committee enough to turn the application down. 

I have no desire to see planning committees scupper sporting progress but it’s not entirely clear to me in this case. 

Archived