IGNORED

Garry Monk (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Part that annoys me is they turn down bids for Che Adams when they knew they were going to be in trouble financially, so rather than sell him for £10m I think the rumoured fee was they just took the hit for the points/fine etc. They've still got to be in bad shape and apparently have turned down bids this summer for him too.

I think they kept him as without him they would of been relegated a 4 million loss is a hit worth taking if it meant staying in the championship

it was a risk but an acceptable one at the time and understandable why bids were rejected,

it would of been like us selling kodja in jan while we were battling against relegation 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why out of interest?

Looking at his record, he did well at Swansea and was unlucky to be sacked (especially looking at where they are now) did an alright job at Leeds until they bottled the play offs with a few games to go. 

His time at Middlesbrough was a bit of a disaster and he’s done OK at brum, without really setting the world alight. 

A win percentage of just under 40% is ok without being overly impressive. 

Personally I wouldn’t have him here, but I can see why you would

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ll ask you a different question Dave - why would Monk be on your shortlist if LJ moved on?

I think he is a bright young manager who has done a good job at all the clubs he’s been at....Swansea (in the Prem), Leeds and Boro, and now Brum, who as we know have massive financial pressures following Jungle ‘Arry’s time there.

He plays a defined style, and makes the best of the playing resources available to him.  We talk about players burning out but Brum midfield played virtually every game last season as did their back 4.

He is decent with the media too, well respected.

Obviously this name is only if LJ moved on...but I don’t have many on my list that I think would come in and do a good job.  Monk is one that is.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think he is a bright young manager who has done a good job at all the clubs he’s been at....Swansea (in the Prem), Leeds and Boro, and now Brum, who as we know have massive financial pressures following Jungle ‘Arry’s time there.

He plays a defined style, and makes the best of the playing resources available to him.  We talk about players burning out but Brum midfield played virtually every game last season as did their back 4.

Obviously this name is only if LJ moved on...but I don’t have many on my list that I think would come in and do a good job.  Monk is one that is.

He inherited a good team at swansea and turned them into relegation candidates

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he is a bright young manager who has done a good job at all the clubs he’s been at....Swansea (in the Prem), Leeds and Boro, and now Brum, who as we know have massive financial pressures.

You could be talking about LJ there Dave, the difference being is that LJ hasn’t defined a playing style (or ‘identity’’) just yet.

I’m in camp of several others is as much that Monk hasn’t impressed me at all.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

....and had to sell key players too.

What about the time at the 3 Champ clubs?

He didn't have to sell them. He did so in order to play a more boring pragmatic style of football. Ask most Swansea fans and their decline started with Monk ripping up Laudrups blueprint and 'Swansalona' playing style. Everything Monk does is about him. Nothing is ever his fault etc etc.

His style of football is very rigid. Two banks of four and hope for something on the break.

Sorry I would hate to see him anywhere near AG

Middlesborough was a disaster for him, their fans loathed him and couldnt wait to get rid

were Birmingham heading for relegation when H redknapp took over? he surely wouldn't have been the man to sanction all those signings, someone else authorised it all.,surely??

he certainly isn't a businessman, you can tell that by his  jam roly poly factory

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I think they kept him as without him they would of been relegated a 4 million loss is a hit worth taking if it meant staying in the championship

it was a risk but an acceptable one at the time and understandable why bids were rejected,

it would of been like us selling kodja in jan while we were battling against relegation 

Thing is I don't think they were ever really in threat of going down, even without Adams I think they'd have comfortably stayed up, I suppose what annoys me more is this summer still turning down bids for him demanding I think £18m, if they stay into financial trouble its something they could have avoided from here.

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

You tell me what he has achieved to get this reputation he has?? at those clubs?

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Not even that for me, as soon as things go wrong instead of fight he seems to hide or leave

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

He didn't have to sell them. He did so in order to play a more boring pragmatic style of football. Ask most Swansea fans and their decline started with Monk ripping up Laudrups blueprint and 'Swansalona' playing style. Everything Monk does is about him. Nothing is ever his fault etc etc.

His style of football is very rigid. Two banks of four and hope for something on the break.

Sorry I would hate to see him anywhere near AG

Middlesborough was a disaster for him, their fans loathed him and couldnt wait to get rid

Oi......stop ganging up on me ?

That’s fair enough.  I like him though.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oi......stop ganging up on me ?

That’s fair enough.  I like him though.

If I had a pick of championship managers other then lee I’d go Neil Harris at millwall, been doing a fantastic job with limited resources 

13 hours ago, Riaz said:

He inherited a good team at swansea and turned them into relegation candidates

As manager he took Swansea to an 8th place finish in the premier league - their highest ever finish in the PL and their second highest ever finish in their history - with their record points tally - and under Monk they were just the third team in PL history to beat both Man Utd and Arsenal home and away in the same season ... we creamed ourselves when we beat Man Utd once ...

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As manager he took Swansea to an 8th place finish in the premier league - their highest ever finish in the PL and their second highest ever finish in their history - with their record points tally - and under Monk they were just the third team in PL history to beat both Man Utd and Arsenal home and away in the same season ... we creamed ourselves when we beat Man Utd once ...

We were in the division below though.

On 14/06/2019 at 09:17, Riaz said:

Think he's way over-rated

Agree. I think of him kind of like Gary Rowett. So far in his career he's proven adept at turning mediocre teams into decent ones, but not so much that he can turn a decent side into a promotion contender. Which is what we'd be looking for hypothetically if LJ were to leave.

His football is very attritional and he's also something of a self-publicist - seems like the type who's always off at the first sign of a better offer. Again, rather like Gary Rowett.

Wasn't bad at Swansea, thought he was very hard done by to be sacked, and did a good job at Leeds initially. But they fell of a cliff at the end of the season and then he jumped ship sharpish to Middlesbrough, where with a big budget and good squad he failed pretty miserably.

If I was a Hull or QPR fan, say, he'd be exactly who I'd be looking at; but I don't reckon he'd be a smart appointment for anyone with Premier League aspirations.

Archived