IGNORED

Garry Monk (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

On 14/06/2019 at 18:19, Davefevs said:

I like Paul Cook at Wigan, but that’s about it.

Bielsa is high calibre- improved Leeds quite a bit but also managed Atletic Bilbao to a European final- bit of a nearly man though, in some ways. "Nearly" won 2 trophies and finished top 5 with the aforementioned- "Nearly" got promotion to PL, "Nearly" restored Marseille to the CL in his first season and really should have- that sort of thing. Impressive CV and background though.

On this, talk on Twitter that Che Adams fee maybe one of the factors- £14m to Southampton the current quoted theory.

On 14/06/2019 at 22:58, BS4 on Tour... said:

As manager he took Swansea to an 8th place finish in the premier league - their highest ever finish in the PL and their second highest ever finish in their history - with their record points tally - and under Monk they were just the third team in PL history to beat both Man Utd and Arsenal home and away in the same season ... we creamed ourselves when we beat Man Utd once ...

This is true and he had a very good season there.

However there were long term effects too. The erosion of their style of play, identity- the shipping out of all the shrewd signings from Spain- although that may have already went with Laudrup's departure- that began in Monk's first full season, or to be more accurate his first full pre-season.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true and he had a very good season there.

However there were long term effects too. The erosion of their style of play, identity- the shipping out of all the shrewd signings from Spain- although that may have already went with Laudrup's departure- that began in Monk's first full season, or to be more accurate his first full pre-season.

Swans fans would certainly agree with you, especially about abandoning their philosophy. That only really got back on track under Potter last season.

Bonkers that they've sacked him, seemed to have (reasonably) stabilised the club on the pitch, but when the club sell arguably their best player, seems a matter of time before the manager and the hierarchy fall out and the manager always loses out.  Can't believe he'll be out of work for long.  The legacy of Redknapp and Zola would seem to live on.

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bielsa is high calibre- improved Leeds quite a bit but also managed Atletic Bilbao to a European final- bit of a nearly man though, in some ways. "Nearly" won 2 trophies and finished top 5 with the aforementioned- "Nearly" got promotion to PL, "Nearly" restored Marseille to the CL in his first season and really should have- that sort of thing.

On this, talk on Twitter that Che Adams fee maybe one of the factors- £14m to Southampton the current quoted theory.

Yeah. Sorry should have qualified that my list is what I would deem realistic for City. I don’t think Bielsa would come here under current ownership. 

15 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Bonkers that they've sacked him, seemed to have (reasonably) stabilised the club on the pitch, but when the club sell arguably their best player, seems a matter of time before the manager and the hierarchy fall out and the manager always loses out.  Can't believe he'll be out of work for long.  The legacy of Redknapp and Zola would seem to live on.

This might be the year that they finally go down. I remember hoping we might in 2017!

By end of summer, they may have lost Adams-Jota-Morrison...plus Monk. Best player, biggest creator and leader at the back. Plus manager who held it all together. 

Extracts from that Birmingham statement read as though Monk and club not aligned (e.g. on using the young players):

‘The Club has a pool of talented players and those emerging via the Academy and Under-23s will be embraced, even more so than before. We are certain these young players – as those in our first team already - will be hungry to succeed as we begin a new chapter....

The Board of Directors feel that it is vitally important for everybody at the Club to be sharing the same vision and commitment to the plans and processes.’

On 14/06/2019 at 09:53, Davefevs said:

I think he is a bright young manager who has done a good job at all the clubs he’s been at....Swansea (in the Prem), Leeds and Boro, and now Brum, who as we know have massive financial pressures following Jungle ‘Arry’s time there.

He plays a defined style, and makes the best of the playing resources available to him.  We talk about players burning out but Brum midfield played virtually every game last season as did their back 4.

He is decent with the media too, well respected.

Obviously this name is only if LJ moved on...but I don’t have many on my list that I think would come in and do a good job.  Monk is one that is.

Respected by players and could attract players to your club.

2 hours ago, eardun said:

Extracts from that Birmingham statement read as though Monk and club not aligned (e.g. on using the young players):

‘The Club has a pool of talented players and those emerging via the Academy and Under-23s will be embraced, even more so than before. We are certain these young players – as those in our first team already - will be hungry to succeed as we begin a new chapter....

The Board of Directors feel that it is vitally important for everybody at the Club to be sharing the same vision and commitment to the plans and processes.’

So basically Monk tells the board that you can`t win anything with kids and they reply `Well, you`re going to have to`.

Only going to end one way that.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So basically Monk tells the board that you can`t win anything with kids and they reply `Well, you`re going to have to`.

Only going to end one way that.

Monk will have to make do, due to mismanagement at Birmingham 

On 14/06/2019 at 22:58, BS4 on Tour... said:

As manager he took Swansea to an 8th place finish in the premier league - their highest ever finish in the PL and their second highest ever finish in their history - with their record points tally - and under Monk they were just the third team in PL history to beat both Man Utd and Arsenal home and away in the same season ... we creamed ourselves when we beat Man Utd once ...

All with Laudrups team. The following season he brought in  his own players, ripped up Laudrups Swansolona style and turned the team into a relegation fodder before being sacked.

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

All with Laudrups team. The following season he brought in  his own players, ripped up Laudrups Swansolona style and turned the team into a relegation fodder before being sacked.

Not true - at the start of, and during, the season where Monk took the Swans to 8th in the premier league he signed:

Fabianski from Arsenal, Gomis from Lyon, Emnes from Boro, Gylfi Sigurdsson from Spurs, Dan James from Hull, Fernandez from Napoli, Demetriou from Forest, Grimes from Exeter, Kyle Naughton from Spurs, Jack Cork from Saints etc etc etc - it was his team that got to 8th in the premier league ...

I don't know what Birmingham are thinking, he takes unfancied Birmingham to the edge of the play offs then when they get deducted points he steers them clear of relegation. 

I understand he had some frustration with Jota being sold and seemingly the money not being there to reinvest but I'm just looking at some names on the bookies list they'd be crazy to go to Birmingham, othe odds on favourite is someone called Xavier Calm who guided his team to tenth in the Spanish third division last season! 

I in all honesty hope Birmingham go down this year. 

18 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I don't know what Birmingham are thinking, he takes unfancied Birmingham to the edge of the play offs then when they get deducted points he steers them clear of relegation. 

I understand he had some frustration with Jota being sold and seemingly the money not being there to reinvest but I'm just looking at some names on the bookies list they'd be crazy to go to Birmingham, othe odds on favourite is someone called Xavier Calm who guided his team to tenth in the Spanish third division last season! 

I in all honesty hope Birmingham go down this year. 

Interesting listening to TS on way home, being a bit critical of their 17th position and almost supporting Monk’s sacking.  Then Durham recalled they’d been docked 9 points!

Now you know why I like Monk so much!

Garry Monk was fired by Birmingham City after a dispute over the use of his own agent in so many of the club's transfer deals, the chief executive at St Andrew's has claimed.

Monk was dismissed on Monday despite guiding the club to safety in the Championship after being hit with a nine point deduction for a breach of EFL financial regulations.

But Xuandong Ren told Sportsmail on Wednesday that their relationship disintegrated when he told the former Swansea, Leeds and Middlesbrough manager he could not use agent Dave Featherstone in 'all' the club's transfer deals.

Birmingham City's CEO Xuandong Ren has claimed Garry Monk was fired over a disputeE

+6

Birmingham City's CEO Xuandong Ren has claimed Garry Monk was fired over a dispute

Ren (L) told Sportsmail that the relationship with Monk deteriorated after the manager was told he could no longer use his agent James Featherstone in the club's transfer deals

+6

Ren (L) told Sportsmail that the relationship with Monk deteriorated after the manager was told he could no longer use his agent Dave Featherstone in the club's transfer deals

Monk was keen on Birmingham City using his agent and close friend Featherstone (right)

+6

Monk was keen on Birmingham City using his agent and close friend Featherstone (right)

ADVERTISING

Monk was dismissed on Monday despite guiding the club to safety in the Championship

+6

Featherstone was involved in nine of the 18 deals conducted by Birmingham since March 2018

+6

Monk helped guide the Blues to a 17th place finish despite suffering a nine-point deduction

+6

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7162977/Middlesbrough-investigating-transfers-Garry-Monk-manager.html

Interesting bit of the article- interesting article actually.

They say they made it clear to Monk when he was manager they did not want Featherstone involved in club transfer business

While there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Monk or Featherstone, a senior Boro insider has said their relationship was one of the key reasons behind the former Swansea boss's sacking in December 2017.

Number of news stories today suggesting that Monk lost both the Boro and Brum jobs due to his preferred agent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7214509/Middlesbroughs-new-bombshell-accusations-Garry-Monk.html

Mucho apologios for the Daily Mail link, a number of other places are covering the story, but their web pages are behind a paywall.

I heard once the story the a previous manager of ours had an agent they would rather use, but I would guess that this is fairly common.

Read this. It is pretty explosive. It more or less implies Monk and his agent were working hand in hand to arrange transfers mainly for the benefit the agent could gain from them, so that the players bought were more to do with the commissions that could be arranged than their value to the club.

After reading the article, Birmingham's sacking suddenly makes sense and you wouldn't want Monk anywhere near your club, if indeed Boro's accusations are true.

Interesting line in the article:

Featherstone told Boro he was on a retainer at Derby to shift certain players

Assuming it's not uncommon? Interesting practices increasingly from them though- acting for both clubs was he?? Or at least club a and manager of club b. Oh yeah, the other interesting bit which I highlighted but forgot is look at the club- a certain club who are creative in their financial methods?

It can work in a sides favour, getting an agent heavily involved. See Wolves and Mendes and on a lesser scale see Laudrup and Swansea- they did indeed seem to get some good players they either a) Wouldn't have got and b) Cheaper than they would otherwise. Not Wolves level of course but think Laudrup and his agent delivered fairly well there.Dunno if it got out of hand there or? It's a risky road to go down anyway.

23 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You may change your mind when you see today's Mail article about Boro's allegations.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line in the article:

Assuming it's not uncommon? Interesting practices increasingly from them though- acting for both clubs was he?? Or at least club a and manager of club b.

It can work in a sides favour, getting an agent heavily involved. See Wolves and Mendes and on a lesser scale see Laudrup and Swansea- they did indeed seem to get some good players they either a) Wouldn't have got and b) Cheaper than they would otherwise. Not Wolves level of course but think Laudrup and his agent delivered fairly well there.Dunno if it got out of hand there or? It's a risky road to go down anyway.

Never trust anyone called Featherstone ?

On 18/06/2019 at 17:42, BanburyRed said:

but when the club sell arguably their best player, seems a matter of time before the manager and the hierarchy fall out and the manager always loses out

We do it every year, with no falling out! 

Know what you mean though: it's about expectations, some Chairmen are just unrealistic, sell our best players, no strategy to replace, but we still expect promotion.

33 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Number of news stories today suggesting that Monk lost both the Boro and Brum jobs due to his preferred agent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7214509/Middlesbroughs-new-bombshell-accusations-Garry-Monk.html

Mucho apologios for the Daily Mail link, a number of other places are covering the story, but their web pages are behind a paywall.

I heard once the story the a previous manager of ours had an agent they would rather use, but I would guess that this is fairly common.

Agree. We all have our favourite / preferred suppliers at home and at work but 99.9% of us wouldn’t let that affect our decision making if there were better deals to be had with other suppliers.

I’d imagine this kind of caper goes on a lot in football and tbh I’m surprised there are not more stories like this given the obscene amounts of money now involved.   Good on Boro (yet again) taking a stand.  

Archived