IGNORED

Garry Monk (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well......some posters seem bothered by this ‘revealing’ story and I’m simply saying that it’s no big deal as it goes on all the time.

I never would have believed you picked up the level of knowledge you have simply from being part of Senior Reds, Robbored.

Well, I knew you had entered a manager's office once but that's it.

Gibson is an all around good bloke, who works his socks off for his home town club. He was pally with a very good friend of mine  while living on Jersey and in the end came back to the mainland because he missed his mates, is the story I was once told. I don’t know if SL and Gibson know each other socially, but in view of their interests and locations I would be surprised if they had not met.

To my point. SL conducts himself his business and the clubs business with the highest degree of ethics, this seems pretty clear. It has brought him into conflict with various people and clubs over the years within football. 

Gibson strikes me as the same sort, however having had success in the last couple of decades with Boro the club is trying/has tried to buy promotion. In part this is due to not enough talent is coming through at Boro. I guess one SL trusts MA and LJ to do the right thing and we have a top drawer academy producing young players a model we could adapt, ironically, partially due to the fact we have little success and no immediate pressure for promotion was ever applied.

Good luck to Gibson a good solid working multi millionaire who wants the best for his home town...Remind anyone of someone!?

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Massimo Cellino (the mad bloke who used to run Leeds) has now come out and said that Featherstone had to be banned from Elland Road due to his constant insistence of being involved in deals.

Monk’s managerial career has to be over, if not just severely inhibited.

I'm probably being very naive here but I cannot understand why agents are, and need to be, involved in transfers, other than when acting for the player who is their client.

Surely an agents involvement begins and ends with negotiating the best contract terms for his client, for which he should be paid by his client - the player - and I still fail t understand why he gets any payment from any club for his services in this respect. Agent's remuneration should only come from their player clients. Football's authorities should prohibit any contract terms that allow for the selling club to have to pay the player's agent any amount from any subsequent transfer fee.

Certainly at the top end of the game, club's should have senior management capable of negotiating with other clubs as far as transfer fees are concerned. E.g. If we contacted Colchester regarding Smodic's transfer, why would Mark Ashton need an agent representing BCFC and why would Colchester need an agent to act for them, as both clubs should be more than capable of negotiating a deal.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I'm probably being very naive here but I cannot understand why agents are, and need to be, involved in transfers, other than when acting for the player who is their client.

Surely an agents involvement begins and ends with negotiating the best contract terms for his client, for which he should be paid by his client - the player - and I still fail t understand why he gets any payment from any club for his services in this respect. Agent's remuneration should only come from their player clients. Football's authorities should prohibit any contract terms that allow for the selling club to have to pay the player's agent any amount from any subsequent transfer fee.

Certainly at the top end of the game, club's should have senior management capable of negotiating with other clubs as far as transfer fees are concerned. E.g. If we contacted Colchester regarding Smodic's transfer, why would Mark Ashton need an agent representing BCFC and why would Colchester need an agent to act for them, as both clubs should be more than capable of negotiating a deal.

I guess part of the problem is that it’s sometimes the club trying to instigate the move and they sometimes need an agent with the contacts. 

All in all, too many middle men. 

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess part of the problem is that it’s sometimes the club trying to instigate the move and they sometimes need an agent with the contacts. 

All in all, too many middle men. 

Again, I might be being naive Dave, but if we are interested in a player, why can't Mark Ashton ring the player's club to start the ball rolling.

Why is an agent needed to initiate contact.

The issue seems to be more about the fact that agents are the ones initiating interest by "touting" their players to other clubs. If a buying club bites, the agent is then in a position to justify a finders fee. 

I have absolutely no issue with agents representing players, and getting the best deals for their clients. What I have an issue with is the way that agents have been allowed to gain an ever greater involvement in transfer transactions, to the degree that in some cases they are acting for all sides. Even if they are acting for either the buying or selling club, as well as the player there is a ludicrous conflict of interest. 

Another thread asks what has caused the rise in transfer fees, and I think the way that agents now appear to create the market, or at the very least fuel it has a lot to do with the problem. As I mentioned in that thread, when Pogba's agent can "earn " as much from Pogba's transfer toMan U as we would hope to get for selling Webster then something is fundamentally wrong.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@downendcity indeed, but I think some agents seem to need to be involved to smooth the deal....why, who knows!

Can I have 50:50 or phone a friend to get the answer?

It might be an anagram of noyme. :(

Archived