IGNORED

Garry Monk (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah saw it on Twitter, lots of angry Birmingham fans too and assumed it was in the works.

Sky also reported his relationship with the owner at breaking point.

I wonder if he is tempted to head West back down the M4?

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wonder if he is tempted to head West back down the M4?

Wondered that earlier- assuming he leaves though, he was sacked I think from Swansea- would he want to go back?

Could be a useful fit given Swansea in a transitional stage, though he wasn't necessarily the man to continue the Swansea way at that time stylistically from Martinez arriving to Laudrup leaving, he could be suitable now.

Wondered that earlier- assuming he leaves though, he was sacked I think from Swansea- would he want to go back?

Could be a useful fit given Swansea in a transitional stage, though he wasn't necessarily the man to continue the Swansea way at that time stylistically from Martinez arriving to Laudrup leaving, he could be suitable now.

I understood they are going to appoint Steve Cooper, who won the U17 World Cup with England.

48 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I understood they are going to appoint Steve Cooper, who won the U17 World Cup with England.

You're correct. I believe that has now been confirmed.

And the latest according to the BBC Sports website is that whilst there are tensions behind the scenes at Brum, they are currently not of such severity as to provoke Monk's departure. So another premature announcement to sit alongside the one about Taylor Moore's alleged sale to Southend, which also appears to be without substance, despite having triggered a debate running to several pages. It is, as I said on that thread, the silly season on OTIB...

from Birmingham live 

Should Monk jump or be pushed by Blues, much credit must go to man for the work he has done at St Andrew's, especially because of the financial mess he walked into back in March 2018.

The Blues were losing £740,000 a week that season, on the back of the reckless spending under the regimes of previous managers Gianfranco Zola and - particularly - Harry Redknapp.

Last season, Blues had an operating loss of £38.6million - dialled down only to a £36.6million loss before interest and tax after making only a paltry £2million profit from player sales.

The figures put out by Blues earlier this year were galling - a £38million wage bill, DOUBLE the club's £18.8million revenues.

The club were £28.8million in the red from day-to-day operations and had a £9.2million shortfall from buying and selling players, meaning Blues required a £39.7million loan from its owners to stay above water.

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

You're correct. I believe that has now been confirmed.

And the latest according to the BBC Sports website is that whilst there are tensions behind the scenes at Brum, they are currently not of such severity as to provoke Monk's departure. So another premature announcement to sit alongside the one about Taylor Moore's alleged sale to Southend, which also appears to be without substance, despite having triggered a debate running to several pages. It is, as I said on that thread, the silly season on OTIB...

Think you'll find Monk or Garry Monk was trending on Twitter earlier. The number of disgruntled Birmingham fans also an indicator.

Only a temporary reprieve as well- he might still be off if relations are strained. Trying to make it work from both sides, but far from guaranteed.

By last season, to be clear it was 2017/18- their results won't be out until late December, early January for 2018/19. Half-year results to December for their parent company over in Hong Kong showed a loss of £13m or thereabouts to December. Barring an exceptional item, chances are they fail FFP again however maybe not as they're judged on 1 year periods for 2018/19 and 2019/20.

If they sell Che Adams and he doesn't through necessity have a huge amount to reinvest he may yet end up walking.

45 minutes ago, lost black rat said:

from Birmingham live 

Should Monk jump or be pushed by Blues, much credit must go to man for the work he has done at St Andrew's, especially because of the financial mess he walked into back in March 2018.

The Blues were losing £740,000 a week that season, on the back of the reckless spending under the regimes of previous managers Gianfranco Zola and - particularly - Harry Redknapp.

Last season, Blues had an operating loss of £38.6million - dialled down only to a £36.6million loss before interest and tax after making only a paltry £2million profit from player sales.

The figures put out by Blues earlier this year were galling - a £38million wage bill, DOUBLE the club's £18.8million revenues.

The club were £28.8million in the red from day-to-day operations and had a £9.2million shortfall from buying and selling players, meaning Blues required a £39.7million loan from its owners to stay above water.

Yikes! How badly run are they?! Who's doing their books? Diane Abbott?

Think you'll find Monk or Garry Monk was trending on Twitter earlier. The number of disgruntled Birmingham fans also an indicator.

Only a temporary reprieve as well- he might still be off if relations are strained. Trying to make it work from both sides, but far from guaranteed.

By last season, to be clear it was 2017/18- their results won't be out until late December, early January for 2018/19. Half-year results to December for their parent company over in Hong Kong showed a loss of £13m or thereabouts to December. Barring an exceptional item, chances are they fail FFP again however maybe not as they're judged on 1 year periods for 2018/19 and 2019/20.

If they sell Che Adams and he doesn't through necessity have a huge amount to reinvest he may yet end up walking.

I don’t dispute any of that. In fact, I’m in agreement with most of it. It may well happen. I was merely pointing out that it hasn’t happened yet, as the tone of the earlier posts tended to suggest, much like the Taylor Moore thread with which I was comparing it, that spawned a lengthy debate about an event that hadn’t actually occurred.

A Redknapp (with some help from Zola for 1 window before!) special.

Agreed though, looking in from the outside they appear to be run at a questionable standard indeed.

But Harry says it was nothing to do with him, just like it was nothing to do with him at Portsmouth. I imagine his dog made all those signings then.

13 minutes ago, prankerd said:

Club still authorized it, cant blame the manager 

Curious that this argument only seems to apply to feckless managers.

Still, we know Harry can barely read, write or count so why would he know what everybody else knew about the club's finances?

The fact that he should never have been appointed by incompetent owners and is loved by the tabloids doesn't absolve him of his share of responsibility.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Curious that this argument only seems to apply to feckless managers.

Still, we know Harry can barely read, write or count so why would he know what everybody else knew about the club's finances?

The fact that he should never have been appointed by incompetent owners and is loved by the tabloids doesn't absolve him of his share of responsibility.

On the Redknapp school of financial management subject.

I remember vaguely not long after he got the old heave ho from Birmingham, so late October 2017 when QPR still in the process of being punished.

He was interviewed about their FFP plight. He paraphrasing said it was crazy, harsh. £40m fine meant QPR being picked on etc.

Then reading down towards the end of interview he basically stated he didn't know what FFP was- god knows what the Birmingham owners were thinking letting him have a fairly free hand!!

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

so the club might not have much choice but to sell

Part that annoys me is they turn down bids for Che Adams when they knew they were going to be in trouble financially, so rather than sell him for £10m I think the rumoured fee was they just took the hit for the points/fine etc. They've still got to be in bad shape and apparently have turned down bids this summer for him too.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Part that annoys me is they turn down bids for Che Adams when they knew they were going to be in trouble financially, so rather than sell him for £10m I think the rumoured fee was they just took the hit for the points/fine etc

There's still time to sell him in this period June 30th 2019 when this accounting period ends.

Assuming they were judged on the prior 3 years to 30th June 2018, selling Adams in most recent season would've helped but also wouldn't.

If they sell him within this fortnight they may well pass this season, but it'd leave them their top asset and chief creator (Adams and Jota) down- rightly so- and still a deficit to address in 2019/20.

Archived