IGNORED

Academy

There is (I think) a growing consensus that City’s academy is now bearing fruit. We are seeing more players come through the system into the first team squad to the benefit of the club. There has even been talk of increasing our commitment towards a Grade 1 academy. 

This however made me wonder how successful Grade 1 academies are for their respective clubs or whether their success is for the benefit of others. Grade 1 academies are mostly (but not exclusively) in the Premier league. It will be interesting to see once squads are announced for the coming season how many players (particularly English ones) were brought through a premier teams academy. Any advance on Foden at Manchester City?

44 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There has even been talk of increasing our commitment towards a Grade 1 academy

Problem with this is the increased cost that comes with it, you need x amount of full time employees in certain roles

I have wondered how much is down to a decent academy compared to being lucky to find those couple of gems who could have turned out to be decent players regardless of which academy they were in.

How much are they taught in terms of ability? Or is being part of the academy more about being kept on the straight and narrow, ensuring they have the right attitude to make it?

I think pushing for a category one academy is absolutely worth it, purely because of our location.

I know we're not a big team, but being able to offer a proven level of quality at academy level is what will persuade kids to sign with us over the tier above. They'll have a greater chance of playing first-team football, and will join a club that isn't shy about selling their youngsters for a good deal.

Sure, even if we became a Category 1 academy, kids would rather sign for Chelsea or Man City, but for those parents that would prefer their kids to be in the south and away from London, I can see a top academy by FA standards being a huge draw to allow us to push on.

Being a tier 1 Academy does come at a large extra cost most of which is due to staffing levels. The advantage is in that you can approach lower level Academy players about moving to your club with a preset fixed compensation fee to be paid!

Also for a tier 1 you need set facilities of which we don't have and even with the improvement at the training ground we shall still be short of the requirement.      

16 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I have wondered how much is down to a decent academy compared to being lucky to find those couple of gems who could have turned out to be decent players regardless of which academy they were in.

How much are they taught in terms of ability? Or is being part of the academy more about being kept on the straight and narrow, ensuring they have the right attitude to make it?

The academy now has a much better reputation than a couple of years ago. The son of a couple I know really well was pursued by City from the age of 14. The lad himself and his parents had various meetings and were very unimpressed. He is now 16 and starts as a 1st year scholar this pre season. His parents say the change in the 2 years is remarkable.

Tier one is an absolute must, it’s stops Liverpool and Chelsea poaching our best youngster which is still happening now,

the extra cost will pay for itself in time, if we aren’t pushing the boat out for cat 1 then what’s the point in having one at all?

Where did the plans to be category 1 come from? I thought they are happy with being category 2. Can't remember, think it was Ashton who was asked about that and he said they're happy with how they are. He said he wants all the best local talent.

I think we can keep hold of most of the youth now. I imagine the likes of Kane and Maddox might have stayed had our academy been like it is now.

Having said that things change. It would be great to be category A, but it does cost a lot. If it means we produce more players and better players then it might be worth it. Though it seems we bring through loads of quality as it is.

• Admin

I assume that if we go up a tier that means the youngsters coming through would also need to be of higher standard?

Obviously we are aiming to be an established Premier side in the next 10 years, to me that would mean getting the academy in place now so that they are ready to come to fruition when the main side are needing these players to come, there isn't any point in waiting until we get to the top and then thinking about moving to tier one 

Archived