IGNORED

John Vaughan - Barnsley GK coach

iamalagerdrinker

Back in 84 I went on a school football team trip stayed in a hotel in old London Town when Martin Tyler did a presentation along side Steve Perryman the spurs captain.

The next day we went to West Ham’s training ground out east and allowed to do a little training exercise etc

At the end of the training a certain John Vaughan was there and we had a penalty competition.

Just call me Matt Le Tissier,gave him the eyes get in!  Or did he let me score?

The next day we went to Wembley for the tour

Wembley 86 was better with sir terry cooper

Cant remember him at ours though was he on loan?

I’m sure Vaughan was in goals for us in a nightmare away trip I undertook back then - we lost 3-2 at Brighton in early 1988 I think it was - it was at The Goldstone Ground and it was pissing down relentlessly with a howling wind too! There was a random Sunderland fan in with us in the away end who was in the area and fancied watching a game! We were 3-0 down very quickly and Vaughan just couldn’t kick the ball more than about 20 yards due to the fierce wind - it was relatively hilarious.. but we were all soaked to the skin before half time ...

Then on the way back my car broke down on the M4 - as I was phoning the RAC from one of the emergency phones on the side of the road, the City players’ coach went past me and soaked me from head to foot by ploughing through a huge puddle and cascading muddy water all over me!

Then when I asked the RAC if they’d phone my family to tell them I’d broken down they refused! This was before mobile phones and internet etc and those bastards wouldn’t pass a message to tell them what had happened. When the RAC man arrived about two hours later he managed to temporarily fix my motor but in a way that meant I couldn’t drive above 40mph all the way home - so we crawled along the motorway and I got home at a ridiculous hour, after I’d dropped off all the other Cider Boyz who’d been in my car and were greeted by very worried families.

But the next away game? We were there ...

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m sure Vaughan was in goals for us in a nightmare away trip I undertook back then - we lost 3-2 at Brighton in early 1988 I think it was - it was at The Goldstone Ground and it was pissing down relentlessly with a howling wind too! There was a random Sunderland fan in with us in the away end who was in the area and fancied watching a game! We were 3-0 down very quickly and Vaughan just couldn’t kick the ball more than about 20 yards due to the fierce wind - it was relatively hilarious.. but we were all soaked to the skin before half time ...

Then on the way back my car broke down on the M4 - as I was phoning the RAC from one of the emergency phones on the side of the road, the City players’ coach went past me and soaked me from head to foot by ploughing through a huge puddle and cascading muddy water all over me!

Then when I asked the RAC if they’d phone my family to tell them I’d broken down they refused! This was before mobile phones and internet etc and those bastards wouldn’t pass a message to tell them what had happened. When the RAC man arrived about two hours later he managed to temporarily fix my motor but in a way that meant I couldn’t drive above 40mph all the way home - so we crawled along the motorway and I got home at a ridiculous hour, after I’d dropped off all the other Cider Boyz who’d been in my car and were greeted by very worried families.

I remember that game, we didn't start playing until we were 3-0 down and we nearly equalised twice in the last minute. Steve Neville scored at least one maybe?  I think Garry Nelson scored a couple for Brighton, I always rated Nelson.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I was there with my mates (I drove) and by the time the game finished I was wetter than I’ve ever been at a football match. We barely dried out before we stopped on the way home for a couple of pints and some pub grub. 

When I arrived back to our flat, my wife-to-be surprised me with a meal that she’d spent all day preparing to welcome me home! Thus I duly sat down to eat my second full meal in two hours!

I’ve still never told her to this day and we’ve been married for 29 years!

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember that game, we didn't start playing until we were 3-0 down and we nearly equalised twice in the last minute. Steve Neville scored at least one maybe?  I think Garry Nelson scored a couple for Brighton, I always rated Nelson.

Yep - Neville definitely scored one - I think I’d lost interest by then!

On 13/06/2019 at 20:15, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes anything to do with Barnsley were in for

Dickie Bird and Michael Parkinson on their way then? 

On 13/06/2019 at 22:24, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was there with my mates (I drove) and by the time the game finished I was wetter than I’ve ever been at a football match. We barely dried out before we stopped on the way home for a couple of pints and some pub grub. 

When I arrived back to our flat, my wife-to-be surprised me with a meal that she’d spent all day preparing to welcome me home! Thus I duly sat down to eat my second full meal in two hours!

I’ve still never told her to this day and we’ve been married for 29 years!

I think we all know what you had for desert :laugh:

Archived