IGNORED

Broadwalk shopping centre

Wolf Island

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thanks. Worrying news re affordable housing and loss of the library. Also worried about impact of trade for those just outside the centre itself for example Mr Crispins and Miss Millie’s.

2 hours ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Thanks. Worrying news re affordable housing and loss of the library. Also worried about impact of trade for those just outside the centre itself for example Mr Crispins and Miss Millie’s.

Wilko’s is closing in September if not before, a real nail into the centres coffin that will be. 

They had a display of the plans up there 6mths or so ago. Seemed to be linking it with Redcatch Park. 

Miss Millies gets a lot of passing trade, people always parked up outside so nothing to do with the shopping centre. Mr Crispins, not sure if that opens many hours at all now, certainly not in the day like it used to, or Sunday Evenings.

2 hours ago, Redbo said:

Would be sad to see Mr Crispins go. Got a free cone of chips when they had a polling station round the back once. First time I voted, not been the same since. 

I just googled out of curiosity, the opening hours are showing as 

Monday – Saturday 11:30 – 22:00

Sunday 16:30 – 21:00

I’ve certainly seen it closed during this time. Maybe they have recently extended hours, summer opening or something?

3 hours ago, Redbo said:

Would be sad to see Mr Crispins go. Got a free cone of chips when they had a polling station round the back once. First time I voted, not been the same since. 

Crispins pizza for lunch, Miss Millie’s 3x chicken with coleslaw for dinner. This was all I ate for 7 years as a youngster.

my parents live up by Broadwalk (as I did when I lived at home for 20 years) - according to my mum who went up to see the plans recently they are reportedly demolishing the car park area to make way for a new car park and apartments overlooking Redcatch Park.  My Dad was more concerned about the loss of Snooker City than the loss of Wilko though!!!  Mum used to work in the offices that were above the mall itself at one time.

I've rarely ventured in there since I moved out in 2000, but it is a far cry now from its heyday when you had two large supermarkets in there and some other chains (I remember getting Joe Jordan's autograph in there once in the late 80s he was visiting the sports shop up there, wasn't it called Sportscene or something similar?)

39 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

my parents live up by Broadwalk (as I did when I lived at home for 20 years) - according to my mum who went up to see the plans recently they are reportedly demolishing the car park area to make way for a new car park and apartments overlooking Redcatch Park.  My Dad was more concerned about the loss of Snooker City than the loss of Wilko though!!!  Mum used to work in the offices that were above the mall itself at one time.

I've rarely ventured in there since I moved out in 2000, but it is a far cry now from its heyday when you had two large supermarkets in there and some other chains (I remember getting Joe Jordan's autograph in there once in the late 80s he was visiting the sports shop up there, wasn't it called Sportscene or something similar?)

Really went downhill. I can see regeneration is necessary but the plans proposed just don’t sit right 

God I remember Fine Fare there and when that closed it became "Selections" I think - like an indoor version of the Sunday Market at St. Phillips, my mate's old man Rusty Jacobs had a stall or two there and Wendy ran the cafe outside (now a bookies?) and going back a bit further there was Dewhursts the Butchers where my grandparents would buy half a pig, jointed, for the freezer! Do people still do that nowadays I wonder!?

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

God I remember Fine Fare there and when that closed it became "Selections" I think - like an indoor version of the Sunday Market at St. Phillips, my mate's old man Rusty Jacobs had a stall or two there and Wendy ran the cafe outside (now a bookies?) and going back a bit further there was Dewhursts the Butchers where my grandparents would buy half a pig, jointed, for the freezer! Do people still do that nowadays I wonder!?

It had everything at one time. Butchers, Tandy, Safeway, opticians, Clark’s. Sad to see it where it is now.

2 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

It had everything at one time. Butchers, Tandy, Safeway, opticians, Clark’s. Sad to see it where it is now.

Yes wasn't it Fine Fare downstairs & Safeway upstairs? I also remember buying a lovely paint-speckled-affect tie in Fosters! Also Dunn's Menswear there as well as Peacocks (I think) 

I remember a Currys/Comet (or something similar) near the toilets. Only remember that as they used to have the Sonic 1 demo running in the window, and just remember wanting it so much!!

Remember an Our Price on the opposite side, and Gateway where Wilko is/was. I know there used to be a record shop downstairs, but I only know that from speaking to my Uncle recently 

Didn't mind going there as a kid, used to be a fair few shops to have a look around. Last time I went there, about a year ago maybe, it just looked like the land that time forgot, and wasn't amazingly clean (although that may not have been helped much by the people there..)

Better than all of that though was the toy shop that used to be on the front where the bookies is now. Was a great place.

My Mum used to work in the clothes shop “Stuckeys” and my sister had a Saturday job in Martins where I bought my first LP - New Order’s Power Corruption and Lies

Also remember the display window of BCFC stuff - don’t think it was ever an actual shop though?

Quite sad to see how bad it is up there now

On 17/06/2019 at 09:51, CyderInACan said:

Yes wasn't it Fine Fare downstairs & Safeway upstairs? I also remember buying a lovely paint-speckled-affect tie in Fosters! Also Dunn's Menswear there as well as Peacocks (I think) 

I remember them being side by side but not upstairs and down. Where B&m and Wilko are now. There was a market downstairs, lots of outlets selling cheap clothes I think? 

It’s not so bad, I’ve been in worse local shops around the country. You can get most things. There is a big Superdrug, good old Poundland or whatever it’s called, Iceland, B&m and the soon to be gone Wilkos. There is a card shop, butchers, Greggs Bakers, fruit and veg shop, shoe shop, a place to get keys cut, cafe, and a few other tat shops. 

Its used by people of all ages, mums with kids to OAP’s. Many don’t have to means to travel to other shops. If business close down due to the redevelopment people will suffer. 

A friend worked at one of the shops a few years ago. Apparently in the past lots of shops ask to open branches up there but were put off by the really high rent. The company which owns Broadwalk won’t budge on rent at all and have lost a lot of business, so any downfall and empty shops is down to them.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I remember them being side by side but not upstairs and down. Where B&m and Wilko are now. There was a market downstairs, lots of outlets selling cheap clothes I think? 

Yep mentioned the market in a previous post - was called Selections 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Of course, who can forget the episode of Only Fools And Horses that was filmed there.

I was actually in there that day. Went in after work and found Christmas decorations up, I can’t remember what time of year it was but it wasn’t Xmas decoration time, Summer I think it was. It was only later I found out they had been filming there and I had just missed them, gutted I was.

They also had a British Gas & SWEB shop. As someone already stated, the two supermarkets (Safeway & Gateway) were next to each other, Somerfield was also there for quite a few years, i’m afraid it’s quite a depressing place now unless you want to stand at the checkout in Iceland for 15 minutes behind some fat chav with their trolley load of oven chips

Archived