SIGNED: Rene Gilmartin

Underwhelming in all honestly. 

It's been said plenty before if we get a new keeper he should be pushing for number 1 not as simple back up, JoJo can be backup. 

I would hope we were setting our sights on other options, this is not a bold transfer, its one that doesn't make sense. If they want to bring him in to mentor Max then bring him in as a goalkeeping coach... Oh wait we just got a new one.

Do you think this is anything to do with David Coles leaving? Harry mentioned this on the DC thread

"

So, I am aware that our chief scout and our goalkeeping coach had some differences of opinion on whom they wanted at the club. Scout likes a particular keeper, but coach (who’d have to work with him) doesn’t. 

If we sign this player then I’ll suspect the departure is more aligned to a differing of opinions than a coach simply moving on "

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I remain , resolutely, calm .

Whilst secretly thinking 

«  Initials on my hankies , that’s classy. »

I used to impress young women and look classy by pulling out a kleenex(man size, for a man size blow) with my initial marked on the corner with a biro.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Any keeper we sign should be actively pushing for 1st choice, not someone who's apparently content to spend a whole career in the background as someone else's understudy.

Tell you what, if the argument is he's never going to play I'll be City's 3rd choice keeper on 104k per year.

Hi Noggers, I think I disagree with that. If you look at top Premier league clubs, they seldom have competition for no 1. Does Willy Caballero think hes going to dislodge Kepa? Ederson/Bravo?

I think it's just a reliable bench man so that O'Leary can loan out for gametime.

34 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Have we actually signed this bloke?

Actually, I think we are being a bit knee-jerk.

Assuming O’Leary is the long term future ( assuming also he can learn to dominate his box) we’re probably negotiating with Speroni - which would make a great deal of sense - and this is a smoke screen to get him to reduce his wage demands.

Isn’t our chief scout Day the former WHU keeper? I reckon he should know a decent keeper when he sees one. He probably has decided now to take personal control of goalkeeper recruitment after a series of keepers who ain’t up to top Championship/Premier quality neither when purchased or after a season or two of development.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Any keeper we sign should be actively pushing for 1st choice, not someone who's apparently content to spend a whole career in the background as someone else's understudy.

Tell you what, if the argument is he's never going to play I'll be City's 3rd choice keeper on 104k per year.

It's a great idea, but reality shows you this is not the case throught professional football in the UK. Dozens of clubs employ journey-men type 3rd choice goalkeepers on a reduced wage. They rely on them to train, remain disicplined and step in when needed. Yes, they're probably not good enough to play week in week out, yet their not signed for that purpose.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Underwhelming in all honestly. 

It's been said plenty before if we get a new keeper he should be pushing for number 1 not as simple back up, JoJo can be backup. 

I would hope we were setting our sights on other options, this is not a bold transfer, its one that doesn't make sense. If they want to bring him in to mentor Max then bring him in as a goalkeeping coach... Oh wait we just got a new one.

I fully expect this is a recruit as a player / coach.

Max is currently no2 to Niki imho, but is giving him cup games enough to give him the experience he needs?  Nope.  Nor can we expect Max to rely on Niki getting injured - although last season’s evidence suggest that might be likely!

Niki is not a long term solution, so I fully expect a proper no2 is brought in to compete with Niki, and long term fight out the no1 job with Max.

47 minutes ago, Tyna said:

Do you think this is anything to do with David Coles leaving? Harry mentioned this on the DC thread

"

So, I am aware that our chief scout and our goalkeeping coach had some differences of opinion on whom they wanted at the club. Scout likes a particular keeper, but coach (who’d have to work with him) doesn’t. 

If we sign this player then I’ll suspect the departure is more aligned to a differing of opinions than a coach simply moving on "

I think it’s everything to do with Coles leaving.

27 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Actually, I think we are being a bit knee-jerk.

Assuming O’Leary is the long term future ( assuming also he can learn to dominate his box) we’re probably negotiating with Speroni - which would make a great deal of sense - and this is a smoke screen to get him to reduce his wage demands.

Isn’t our chief scout Day the former WHU keeper? I reckon he should know a decent keeper when he sees one. He probably has decided now to take personal control of goalkeeper recruitment after a series of keepers who ain’t up to top Championship/Premier quality neither when purchased or after a season or two of development.

Yes, this fits in with what Tyna says too.  Combination of disagreement on goalkeepers we are looking to recruit and the goalkeeping training set up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Max is currently no2 to Niki imho, but is giving him cup games enough to give him the experience he needs?  Nope.  Nor can we expect Max to rely on Niki getting injured - although last season’s evidence suggest that might be likely!

Niki is not a long term solution, so I fully expect a proper no2 is brought in to compete with Niki, and long term fight out the no1 job with Max.

Yes, this fits in with what Tyna says too.  Combination of disagreement on goalkeepers we are looking to recruit and the goalkeeping training set up.

My prediction is that we end up with Steffen from Man CIty on loan when he formally becomes their player (in July I believe), he will be first choice over Niki with Gilmartin as back up to allow Max a year out on loan without risk of leaving the bench unmanned if anything should happen to Steffen / Niki.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So do you think Coles was A-OK with bringing our stunner from NZ in last season? Or maybe it was his idea, which may be part of the reason for the difference of opinion cropping up this summer?

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

So do you think Coles was A-OK with bringing our stunner from NZ in last season? Or maybe it was his idea, which may be part of the reason for the difference of opinion cropping up this summer?

Exactly....somewhere along the road there has been a difference of opinion between Mervyn Day and Coles....and Coles has gone.  Harry states something along these lines in the David Coles thread....and Harry would probably know something of this type.

This is like Man City having Richard Wright a few years ago or Robert Green at Chelsea, a third choice backup keeper that means we can let our developing goalkeepers go out on loan. And he's a coach (we have no idea how good he is at that) so at least he'll be doing something while not playing. He'll probably and hopefully never play and won't cost us much while helping our young players develop.

People are starting to show their crazy on this thread...

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Prinny said:

This is like Man City having Richard Wright a few years ago or Robert Green at Chelsea, a third choice backup keeper that means we can let our developing goalkeepers go out on loan. And he's a coach (we have no idea how good he is at that) so at least he'll be doing something while not playing. He'll probably and hopefully never play and won't cost us much while helping our young players develop.

People are starting to show their crazy on this thread...

Agree with your thoughts ... similarly  Lee grant at Man United ... 

Edited by Brann-red