Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

SIGNED: Rene Gilmartin

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Astute piece of business, I’m thinking that this and Rowe are just warming us up for the main event later...

Selling Webster? :whistle:

:shocking:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ummm..........look at the date I posted that TM...........It’s on the OS today..................:cool2:

A real man would admit he was wrong...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Know nothing about him . But we needed a third choice keeper and he fits the bill. We don’t need another situation like last season. This is the strongest our keeping department has looked in years.

Welcome to the club RG

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Im ecstatic with this wise investment of a salary

Ecstatic is pushing it but this is a wise investment.

He’ll be on low wages and he’ll be helping out with the youngsters, so basically he’s doing two jobs at once...

Good signing imo

This is absolutely no reflection on Rene, but it’s odd to think we’re signing this guy when, if all goes to plan, he’ll never make an appearance for us despite being fit and available at all times.

It makes absolute sense to have an insurance policy in place to avoid a repeat of last season’s goalkeeping mess, though.

Does this mean O'Leary is heading out on loan? 

A full season at league 1 would do him well 

Edited by Sturny

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

It only makes sense if a League 1 team are looking for a number 1 keeper and we have some form of guarantee that he'll get the spot. Otherwise what's the point.

28 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Ecstatic is pushing it but this is a wise investment.

He’ll be on low wages and he’ll be helping out with the youngsters, so basically he’s doing two jobs at once...

Good signing imo

Two jobs at once? Coaching appears to be one, but being a championship footballer isnt the other. He appears to have played about 100 career games, what exactly is he supposed to coach into maenpaa and bentley?

5 minutes ago, screech said:

It only makes sense if a League 1 team are looking for a number 1 keeper and we have some form of guarantee that he'll get the spot. Otherwise what's the point.

True. He's quality enough to be in the first team in L1 I'm sure some manager see can that 

Edited by Sturny

12 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Two jobs at once? Coaching appears to be one, but being a championship footballer isnt the other. He appears to have played about 100 career games, what exactly is he supposed to coach into maenpaa and bentley?

World no. 01 tennis players, golfers etc all have coaches. Point being a good coach doesn't have to have a greater ability than those they teach to be effective.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, simon uk said:

He appears to have played about 100 career games, what exactly is he supposed to coach into maenpaa and bentley?

Some people are just very good at coaching/teaching. He also mentioned working with the women’s team.

Bizarre.

What with paying a tremendous sum for Brentford’s out-of-form keeper and the moving on last season’s coach, I assume our chief scout is well and truly putting his neck on the block. Hope his judgement  - which should be decent - is correct. 

Been quite a while since we’ve had a couple of big keepers who consistently dominate the box with good shot stopping and distribution attributes. 

27 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Didn’t realise Bentley and maenpaa were youngsters...

He’ll be doing coaching with the youth players and providing back up to our two keepers. After last season, who’s to say he won’t be needed?

For those complaining about this signing, I suggest you read the story below from the OS. It's very clear that he's here to be third choice keeper and help coach the youngsters (not Mäenpää and Bentley) and the women's team.

From the state-of-the-art training ground redevelopment, to the “exceptional” Ashton Gate, the new City goalkeeper can’t wait to get to work in BS3.

“What appealed to me most is the direction this club is going in,” he told bcfc.co.uk in his first club interview.

“This is a massive club which has pushed for promotion year in, year out. The head coach (Lee Johnson) has a great philosophy for how football should be played and this is a huge opportunity for me to step on in my career.”

Gilmartin is a keeper with coaching experience and it’s a responsibility he wants to bring to the Robins as he looks to “challenge and push on” the younger keepers both with the men’s and City Women’s squads.

The 32-year-old said: “I’ve been versatile and offered different responsibilities to the manager and the rest of the team. I’ll be involved with City Women too, their progression and development too.”

He added: “I was third choice at Watford with two years in the Premier League after winning promotion so I have been part of the squad and know what it takes. That experience has lived with me and I want to bring it here and be the experienced one.”

It was with Watford when Gilmartin last visited Ashton Gate. Now he returns as a Robin and with the stadium since redeveloped, he can’t wait for matchday.

He said: “The stadium is exceptional. I came here a few years ago with Watford when it was in development. Now you come into these facilities and setup and even at the training ground you can see what they’re doing up there: the high-tec performance additions and this is a club going places.

“It’s geared for the Premier League, you can see there are no stones unturned, no corners being cut and it’s exceptional really.”

Dublin-born Gilmartin has signed from Colchester United. He has also represented St Kevin’s Boys, Walsall, Watford (twice), Plymouth and St Patrick’s before he joined the U’s in July 2017. The shot-stopper has also played on loan at Hednesford, Yeovil Town and Crawley Town during his career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

For those complaining about this signing, I suggest you read the story below from the OS. It's very clear that he's here to be third choice keeper and help coach the youngsters (not Mäenpää and Bentley) and the women's team.

From the state-of-the-art training ground redevelopment, to the “exceptional” Ashton Gate, the new City goalkeeper can’t wait to get to work in BS3.

“What appealed to me most is the direction this club is going in,” he told bcfc.co.uk in his first club interview.

“This is a massive club which has pushed for promotion year in, year out. The head coach (Lee Johnson) has a great philosophy for how football should be played and this is a huge opportunity for me to step on in my career.”

Gilmartin is a keeper with coaching experience and it’s a responsibility he wants to bring to the Robins as he looks to “challenge and push on” the younger keepers both with the men’s and City Women’s squads.

The 32-year-old said: “I’ve been versatile and offered different responsibilities to the manager and the rest of the team. I’ll be involved with City Women too, their progression and development too.”

He added: “I was third choice at Watford with two years in the Premier League after winning promotion so I have been part of the squad and know what it takes. That experience has lived with me and I want to bring it here and be the experienced one.”

It was with Watford when Gilmartin last visited Ashton Gate. Now he returns as a Robin and with the stadium since redeveloped, he can’t wait for matchday.

He said: “The stadium is exceptional. I came here a few years ago with Watford when it was in development. Now you come into these facilities and setup and even at the training ground you can see what they’re doing up there: the high-tec performance additions and this is a club going places.

“It’s geared for the Premier League, you can see there are no stones unturned, no corners being cut and it’s exceptional really.”

Dublin-born Gilmartin has signed from Colchester United. He has also represented St Kevin’s Boys, Walsall, Watford (twice), Plymouth and St Patrick’s before he joined the U’s in July 2017. The shot-stopper has also played on loan at Hednesford, Yeovil Town and Crawley Town during his career.

Can’t wait to see him make his Vixens debut! 😂

57 minutes ago, Sturny said:

After last seasons performances, he wouldn’t look out of place in a lower half Championship side.

I think he’s more than good enough from what I’ve seen. Similar loan to Vyner will do him the world of good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

After last seasons performances, he wouldn’t look out of place in a lower half Championship side.

I think he’s more than good enough from what I’ve seen. Similar loan to Vyner will do him the world of good.

I don't think he would either, but I doubt a champ team would take that gamble

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't think he would either, but I doubt a champ team would take that gamble

Didn’t think any Championship side would take a gamble on Vyner but Rotherham did. O’Leary has played more Championship football than Zak too. 

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he went to somewhere like Luton or Wigan.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Didn’t think any Championship side would take a gamble on Vyner but Rotherham did. O’Leary has played more Championship football than Zak too. 

Yeah but Max was playing non-league whilst Zak was climbing from L2-L1 and impressing.

Also the bold statement isn't true when Zak was on loan to Rotherham. Zak played 8 games in the champ before Max. 

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

No at the time Zak went out on loan he hadn’t, he played a grand total of zero championship football compared to zak’s 8 games,

as of right now max has played 10 league games in the championship compared to zak’s 39 games

• Like 1

Prior to Zak leaving for Rotherham, he played more games in the Championship than Max has now?

WTF signing to me... Why not just let Max go out on loan with a recall option? As for helping coaching we have signed Mountain for that and City women are advertising for a head of goalkeeping! 

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

WTF signing to me... Why not just let Max go out on loan with a recall option? As for helping coaching we have signed Mountain for that and City women are advertising for a head of goalkeeping! 

Firstly I believe you can only recall players during the transfer window (May be wrong on that...) and so let’s say Bentley got injured in October with both max and Jojo out on loan, we’d have to stick an u18 on the bench which would be incredibly risky. It it would be totally pointless to recall max if it was only for a few games on the bench whilst a keeper recovered, he’d learn a lot more playing every week knowing there would be no need for him to be recalled.

Pat mountain is our keeper coach yes, but rene won’t be helping the senior keepers, he’ll be focussing on the u23s and below, where I’d imagine pat will have less influence. With regards to the women, they will still look for a full time goalkeeper coach, Rene will help where he can but obviously they’ll need someone to work with their keepers more regularly 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

He’ll be ‘ involved with City women ‘ 

:devil:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, screech said:

You'd presume that we've already got a loan lined up for Max if we're bringing this lad in now.

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He’ll be ‘ involved with City women ‘ 

:devil:

Much like Steven Davies a few seasons back

Edited by AppyDAZE

58 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Curious about what type of recall option you think is allowed, if Niki was to get injured long term during the Birmingham game?

On 14/06/2019 at 15:42, Robbored said:

Nothing on the OS........must be yet more wild speculation and rumour..................:cool2:

Nope, it turned out to be inside knowledge.

• Haha 1