IGNORED

England Vs Argentina match thread

myol'man

Right result, should have been much more comfortable. Going to have to be much more clinical and keep the ball better to go really deep in the comp, but through to the last 16 with a game to spare. Not looked one of the very best teams so far, but doing what they have to.

Give Argentina their due - they were a very well-organised and determined side. The old style of South American flair was previously a by-word for failure until the current set-up instilled a great change of thinking. They aren't the best team in the world but they give those who are a good run for their money.

What many won't realise is that the AFA have not given the women's game the slightest interest and they have largely had to do it all themselves (perhaps like the FA ignored and attempted to outlaw the game here in the post-war years). The players actually abandoned the national organisation for a few years up until 2017: they have come a long way and they should be justly proud of their achievements. I hope this does not go unnoticed in Buenos Aires.

But England have managed to chalk up another W. Somewhat like the Germans (women or men - they are notorious slow starters in tournaments but grind out results and then go through the gears in the latter stages), we have not looked at the top of our game but the quality is unmistakeable. Now we have already qualified, will Head Coach Neville tinker again or go with his best XI?

Growing in to the tournament nicely. Good first half performance against the Scots but tonight was a 90 minute effort. Further improvement against Japan, especially in the final third, will see us warmed up nicely for the knockout stages. 

MoM given to Jill Scott but Beth Mead or Fran Kirby would have been my choice. 

58 minutes ago, Malago said:

From what I've seen so far, the England women's team is every bit as frustrating as the men's.  Unless they improve their decision making in the final third, I fear a quarter or semi final exit beckons.

I thought exactly the same a team to get through the group stage then get beaten by a better team

Archived