IGNORED

Getting your own back on the Bristol evening post

In a Galaxy far far away when I was a teenager and no internet, as well as  no Radio Bristol

The only way you found out about the fixtures being released for the coming season was the evening post.

So the day before the release date

The BEP would splash across its front pages

Full fixture list of both Bristol football clubs in tomorrows BEP

Always remember getting off the school bus rushing towards the paper shop and buying the paper with my very small amount of pocket money

Scanning through several of the back pages.

Then a small section saying Bristol City start with a game against XXXX team.

BUT due to insuffient space we will not be able to print the rest of the fixtures till the following days edition

Can't remember if the other lot got the same  treatment.

So its true be said their were even spin doctors around in the 1960's

Being Naive and so very young I didn't expect my local paper would do such a thing,did I?

By the same token I would not take a peak inside because I trusted everyone and everything would be honest

No reflection on the current staff of the Post

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I well remember cutting out the list from the WDP on the Friday morning and pinning it on my bedroom wall.

Who remembers Shoot! magazine? Getting the cardboard league tables one week and then collecting the little cardboard tabs for each team, then updating the positions of all of the teams each week, was a big part of my childhoood.

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Who remembers Shoot! magazine? Getting the cardboard league tables one week and then collecting the little cardboard tabs for each team, then updating the positions of all of the teams each week, was a big part of my childhoood.

Indeed I do! It never made it too far into the season mind as all the tabs got wonky and wouldn`t go into the slots after about a month.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Indeed I do! It never made it too far into the season mind as all the tabs got wonky and wouldn`t go into the slots after about a month.

The thing to avoid was sticking them in your mouth, when switching multiple tabs at once! :)

It did occur to me as I made that post that NTTTDS probably still has a couple of sets somewhere laminated for prosperity.  

Waiting for the van to pull up around 6 ish on Saturdays to the local newsagents..........with the delivery of the Green Un.....sometimes they'd be late and half a dozen blokes would stand around waiting for their fix.  What year did they stop publishing the Green Rag?

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That post seller on ashton road i liked.

Soccer special! 3 star post! he would shout that for hours.

Hard to think now i used to look forward to the 2 star coming out for city news.

Wow! I’d completely forgotten about that 2 star and 3 star business. You referring to it really takes me back. Back in the 60’s I used to cut out the black and white pixelated photos of the players, stick them in my scrap book and wait for the players to come out after the match to get them autographed. 

5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

In a Galaxy far far away when I was a teenager and no internet, as well as  no Radio Bristol

The only way you found out about the fixtures being released for the coming season was the evening post.

Always remember getting off the school bus rushing towards the paper shop and buying the paper with my very small amount of pocket money

BUT due to insuffient space we will not be able to print the rest of the fixtures till the following days edition

Being Naive and so very young I didn't expect my local paper would do such a thing,did I?

By the same token I would not take a peak inside because I trusted everyone and everything would be honest

***No reflection on the current staff of the Post

*** the last line :   

Just as I've often suspected that lot are vampires, thanks for confirming @Never to the dark side.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I used to do the same. But of all the football publications it’s Goal! Magazine I miss. I threw them all out (along with a load of old football programmes) many years ago in an argument with my mother about tidying my room. Most of the football programmes were from a friend of my fathers, had nothing to do with City, and were in a sorry state but I had every issue of Goal, including the pilot issue, and they were in good order. I wish I had them now. 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

There was a old guy who sold it up melvin square for years too.

He was a character.

When the van was late it all got a bit edgy...as you watched it come down Daventry Rd you’d be worried there weren’t enough Green ‘Uns on board so you had to really elbow your way in when they were eventually unloaded. 

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I used to do the same. But of all the football publications it’s Goal! Magazine I miss. I threw them all out (along with a load of old football programmes) many years ago in an argument with my mother about tidying my room. Most of the football programmes were from a friend of my fathers, had nothing to do with City, and were in a sorry state but I had every issue of Goal, including the pilot issue, and they were in good order. I wish I had them now. 

Bugger!... talk about an 'own Goal' mate.  

1959 joined the rank of paper boy for old man Wotton from a house on Creswicke Rd near to the corner of Throgmorton Rd. Had an evening round and after Saturday's delivery of Post and World came back for the Green Uns that Wotton picked up from the delivery van on St Johns Lane. It was a right scramble as the papers came out of the van to be sorted in the house into rounds as a bundle was given to one of the boys to sell to the eagerly waiting punters who couldn't wait for a delivery to their door.

Finished the evening round when I started playing at 14 years old on Saturday afternoons and switched to morning rounds. 6 am. start in them days. Finished by 7.45. am home for breakfast then off to school on my bike. At least with my house on the round our papers were regular and mum got her pre made coal fire lit at about 6.30. to warm the house up before she got up at 7.00.

Thanks for the  memories this thread has rekindled. In the early 70s, when I was 18, I did voluntary work abroad for a year.....my mum and dad regularly sent me a package of goodies which always included City reports and cuttings from the BEP and the Greenun, some times there were also cassette tapes with match commentaries too.

Life pre-internet was very different!

As a boy in Long  Ashton I had an evening paper round, just how long it took was completely determined by how much City news the paper contained on any given day as all City related articles had to be read while I was delivering.

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

No reflection on the current staff of the Post

Dear Darkside,

indeed we live in a different galaxy. I refer you and others interested back to a time when the BEP wasn't reviled and its sports writers weren't considered ignorant and biased, a time when people had virtually only one source of getting precious new information about our Club and that was the Post. As to it's sports writers, I'm talking mainly about the splendid Peter Godsiff. Godsiff described his time at the Post as "the golden age of Sports writing" . I associate this with the 60s when I started watching City. This is an OTIB topic from 2009 which starts off about Richard Latham

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/119142-richard-latham/

33 minutes ago, redysteadygo1 said:

1959 joined the rank of paper boy for old man Wotton from a house on Creswicke Rd near to the corner of Throgmorton Rd. Had an evening round and after Saturday's delivery of Post and World came back for the Green Uns that Wotton picked up from the delivery van on St Johns Lane. It was a right scramble as the papers came out of the van to be sorted in the house into rounds as a bundle was given to one of the boys to sell to the eagerly waiting punters who couldn't wait for a delivery to their door.

Finished the evening round when I started playing at 14 years old on Saturday afternoons and switched to morning rounds. 6 am. start in them days. Finished by 7.45. am home for breakfast then off to school on my bike. At least with my house on the round our papers were regular and mum got her pre made coal fire lit at about 6.30. to warm the house up before she got up at 7.00.

Wooten with his Bobby Charlton comb over.

At one stage I did the lot, evening round, morning round, Sunday round, and collecting Friday night and Saturday morning.  ?

Couldn't do that now!   

Archived